PDA

View Full Version : Jacking Up One Side of Boat?

Basnova
04-26-2018, 02:09 PM
I have a 20'1" Viper Coral with a Mercury Promax 300. I want to change out my bunkers. Would it be OK to jack up one side of the boat to swap out bunkers and fender pads (don't know the real term for this)? If so, any tips? If not, any tips? ;)

Thanks in advance.

roadkill636
04-26-2018, 02:14 PM
Its easiezt to xo all of it at the boat ramp with the boat in the water. Make the bunks ahead of time and bring em to the ramp along with your cordless drill and lag bolts and do it all there. And get to test out ya boat at the same time.

But if you have to do it at home make sure you use 2 jacks and some good pad and jack er up and watch the clearence of boat to fenders as ya go up.
And be carefull not to bump the boat and it come crashing down o to you or worse the hull hitting the steel brackets and gouging the gel.

Basnova
04-26-2018, 06:36 PM
I've already weighed the pros an cons of trying to put the boat in the water at a local marina and changing out the bunkers then, but I also have some sideboards inboard of the fenders that I need to template before making, so would prefer if I could just jack the boat up in my garage.

That said, why two jacks? I would think jacking one side only might be safer, since the other side would still be on the trailer. Am I thinking wrong here? Also, is my monster motor an issue to have all that weight tilted at such an angle as to be precarious?

Thanks again.

Karsten
04-28-2018, 02:28 PM
I would think two motor Hoists would be a better option than trying to jack it from the trailer......If the jack slips and you are under the hull I don't want to think of that.

Personally I would remake the bunks and float the boat and remove the skirts then, make them and float the boat the next weekend.

Karsten

Basnova
04-28-2018, 07:34 PM
I would think two motor Hoists would be a better option than trying to jack it from the trailer......If the jack slips and you are under the hull I don't want to think of that.I wouldn't work under it with only a jack supporting it. I would support it on both sides near the back, and under the keel.

Personally I would remake the bunks and float the boat and remove the skirts then, make them and float the boat the next weekend.Now that's a thought to consider, although I shudder to think of potentially rubbing the insides of the fenders without the skirts on there, when putting back on the trailer, Yikes!

Basnova
04-29-2018, 10:47 AM
The last time I took the boat out I measured the bunks, so I can definitely pre-make replacements for a swap at the marina. How about this, then? Is there a way to jack the boat just a few inches on each side, one at a time, just to get access to the screws that hold the skirts to the Fenders, so I can get the skirts off and pre-make them, too? Then, I can just do a fast swap of bunkers and skirts when I float the boat.