PDA

View Full Version : painting vector?

eautosales
05-04-2003, 01:29 PM
my vector is cocoo locco & i was thinking about changin ta red or yeller what is the best way to prep & what should i paint with
base clear ? imron?

H2Onut
05-04-2003, 01:56 PM
sand, sand, sand, fill, sand sand primer, sand sand sand, paint sand paint. wet sand rub buff shine all done

Techno
05-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Wash the boat with soap and water to remove dirt and especialy wax. Sand it all over, sorry forgot the grit. This provides a mechanical tooth bond for the paint. Clean again with a wax and grease remover and don't touch it with bare skin at this point and on. Wear gloves to make sure you don't get greasy human stuff on it.

I like the catylized urethanes. Whether it's BC CC or something more exotic or simpler is up to you. I used Kandy paint. It's more involved than the others but I thought it a worth while risk.
Paint cost can add up very fast.
A single solid coat only is one cheap amount to buy.
A BC CC is a 2nd added cost. you need twice the amount and it probably costs more per qt.
You get the idea.

Safety note. Lacquers are out. Most likely can't get them and don't want to use anyway. Most of the other stuff has Isocyanate for the catylized and enough nasties anyway in the others. Imron is a nasty by itself. Nasties mean you can't use a cartridge respirator. Of course you can no one is going to stop you but aren't suggested anywhere. The supplied air respirators will run about $500.

10.5' Tunnel
05-04-2003, 05:19 PM
I just went through painting my boat, and used the cheap Interlux stuff. Worked as good as I thought a cheap paint would. It had good self-leveling capabilities, which also meant it ran easily. Doesn't spray to well either. If I could do it all over again, I would have probably brought the paint and the boat all prepared to someone who has better equipment then me, and would have payed the extra bit of money to get a better job.

bulldogdaddy
05-04-2003, 08:24 PM
give wildman a call! he was alwas more than happy to answer any question i had on prep and paint. still prepin though,lol. but like tecno said, i'm going with house of kolors. randy told me if i paint the bottom with the pearl,float the boat on the trailer.:eek:

Techno
05-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Why the diff? isn't it clear coated?
Even if it does scratch it or haze it it's on the bottom. Places like this I consider to be OK for the analy inspective to find errors.

bulldogdaddy
05-05-2003, 05:42 PM
you talkin bout the pearl on the bottom? guess it will start rubbing it on the bunks. also that mean's no beach landings!drop an anchor and then set a sand spike. i'm not that criticle to perfection but want my boat to stand out, i've only found 2 borums ,well 3 including mine, one is mint just as the day it was bought, and the other was worse then the one i found! i know there are a few more out there but just want it to be nice.

Techno
05-05-2003, 10:23 PM
If it's cleared I don't see the diff. If it isn't then there would be no way to fix it.

bulldogdaddy
05-06-2003, 02:55 AM
gotcha ya!