PDA

View Full Version : No Skid Floor

ScottyG
05-02-2003, 05:33 PM
OK now that my Vector's new core is done the new deck/floor is going in.I am planning on painting it with non-skid paint and only carpeting in the foot wells by the seats.Has anyone used this non-skid paint.Results,compliants etc??? Scotty

AlaskaStreamin
05-03-2003, 02:36 AM
Depends on the non-skid you are looking at. Some is junk and will peel. Others will desolve if gas gets on it. I would use gelcoat. Mask off the area and roll it on. As it starts to kick off, roll over it again. It will pull up a stipple. I can get it like thorns if I wait too long. You can also sprinkle some silica sand over the wet gelcoat and roll in. If you mask off a border, make sure to unmask before it totally cures. This works the best for me and has excellent wearability.

sho305
05-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Used to put that on machine tables I made with a roller. It was nasty stuff in 5 gal pails, not sure if good for outdoor or not. Had the larger black silica (sandblast) sand in it and was black. You may be able to mix just this sand with gelcoat? I can get bags of it here cheap for sandblasting. Maybe $6 a bag.

You can also get the stickum for lawnmowers and such. If it comes loose you just glue it back on. You can use strips of it too if you like the look.

Have also seem the black textured plastic mat, not sure where you get it. Not as abrasive.

I would IMO try a test panel of the gel and sand. You know gel will work on a boat. We used rough surface paint rollers on the machines to get it on smooth. With the right mixture I bet it would work nice. That stuff was about the consistancy of shampoo.

Techno
05-05-2003, 04:19 PM
By rolling on some resin and sprinkling some sand onto the thin wet resin you get non-skid, right?
Well If you want real trick and don't mind the work. Do it sand painting or whatever it's called. You use different colored sands to paint a pattern or picture.
Non-skid and a graphic all in one!
Even if you can't do something like this it would seem easy if done through a stencil, which you can buy if not make. Lay one down and roller over it, sprinkle some colors, lift stencil off and wait for it to set. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

EXSTREAM EH!
05-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Techno, Where did you find the Indans to do the sand painting?:D Cool idea man. Are you going to the Romp?

EXSTREAM EH! Gone:D

gojo
05-13-2003, 09:07 PM
BEST WAY TO APPLY NON SKID DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU USED TO FINISH YOU NEW DECK.Using any polyester based resin on epoxy finish will lift ,crack and peel as soon as you hit your first wave at 50.Imron or awlgrip mixed properly and using interlux glass beads fine ,medium or coarse depending on what your dogs need for traction. If you have flat feet and suck a lotta beer you better go with the coarse.If you dont mind slipping around the deck but like that smooth look go with the fine.Either way you can roll it from a pan with the grit mixed to your liken.BE PREPARED TO ROCK AND ROLL ONCE MIXED OR YOULL HAVE YOURSELF A VERY EXPENSIVE MESS ON YOUR HANDS. You get what you payfore and putting any kind of cheap home depot home owner product on the job will take away the professional look you worked so hard to acheive.

sho305
05-13-2003, 11:21 PM
I agree, cheap is cheap. I worked for Toro for a while, and they had some nice industrial sticker stuff on the commercial machines. Never seen it anywhere else. It held up pretty well on the mowers, but how do you get it? Maybe the parts counter at Toro, and it will not be cheap either;) It was like emery cloth and black. I think I would do some test mixes of the right resin. The industrial paint I used, I think it was American Saftey brand. Don't know if it was waterproof, came in grey and black.

typhoon
05-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Paint whatever you want as your floor paint, then evenly scatter raw sugar(it's nice and coarse) over the paint. The sugar dissolves after the paint is dry when you wet it down, and you are left with a really nice coarse non skid finish.
The sailing skiff guys use this, and it really cops some abuse in that situation.

Andrew.

heath brinkley
05-14-2003, 07:00 AM
I always have my interiors gel coated and webbed, even up the sides. NO CARPET, easy to clean, durable. just don't use black as the main color.It gets real hot.

Techno
05-15-2003, 05:16 PM
No romp for me:mad:

The skid tape can be bought at mcmaster carr. There is also non-skid spray paint that has stuff in it. Clear I think.

The more I think of the sand thing the more I like it. This cuts out my buying cloth and bonding down foam and the cloth with all the cuts and on & on....

ScottyG
05-15-2003, 08:04 PM
I decided against no-skid.My bare feets needs carpet.Thanks for the replies but I decided being comfortable on the boat out weights the additional up keep of carpet and its tendency to hold moisture in the boat.The boat is garaged when not in use.Scotty

heath brinkley
05-16-2003, 06:27 AM
Next time your around a center console boat, jump in it and walk around. See how that treats your feet. Then you'll know if you ever rip out that carpet again whether it's worth doing or not. If you like walking on it (I do) it's CHEAP even if you pay to have it done. Just had the entire interior of my Vegas (floor,walls,transom) in four colors for under 300. DURABLE had a boat for 12 years in the sun with no cover or shade and still looked great when I sold it.EASY TO CLEAN and it's lighter than carpet.;) If I could figure out how o post a picture I'd show you a picture of mine, every boat I do gets it in the interior.

sho305
05-16-2003, 07:37 AM
IMHO if you go carpet, I used boat/pontoon carpet in mine and liked it. It was not the cheapest; the next one up in weight(20oz?). I used it on some side pads of interior even, very soft, and does not show when you bend it. Also has the good waterproof backing of foam. Supposed to glue it, but I did panels and streatched it & stapled. Seems to be ok yet after a year and I can re-pull it. Not the lightest if you need a lot of it though.

I agree, carpet can be a pain. Should have seen the pile of sand out of the old carpet, and I vacuumed it before I pulled it out! I was cheap fiber stuff though, not real carpet.

CrayzKirk
05-16-2003, 11:06 AM
I used some RhinoTop from The RotDoctor. Claims the Navy uses it along with some of their other products. On gallon gave me good coverage on my 17' TriHull with a half gallon left. I plan on recoating this year. Cleans up easily in water and is easily repairable. The products are fairly expensive however, what have you seen that has a picture of a boat on it that isn't? :eek:

They make some other coatings that will pretty much make the floor impervious. They also sell CPES which I believe is some pretty good stuff when used as a base for paints and epoxies.

I'm happy with the results...

Kirk

gojo
05-16-2003, 08:15 PM
Scotty G.
Becareful with your carpet sellection and use on the great south sump. Remember the attraction of the notorious green fly that appear in july august and make it their right to chew you alive. They love salt water soaked carpet layden with spilt bud and doritos ,cringles, cheesey doodles and what ever else you do what you do. They also love cetain colors over others and the situation most be entertained, unless you plan on running for the day,with no stops and an unlimited exxon card stuffed in your shorts . Nobody but some one who has spent a lifetime killing these merciless buggers will understand, on Great South BAY.

ScottyG
05-17-2003, 04:07 PM
GoJo, That the funniest thing I have read all week.I HATE the Greenies and always have Buds and doodles on my boat.Are your initials J.P. or T.G. I think I know you.Scotty

gojo
05-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Scotty G.
Your name does not ring a bell. You never ran a service station in queens I hope?

ScottyG
05-17-2003, 07:14 PM
It small island isn't it?Hows your boat?

gojo
05-17-2003, 07:22 PM
The Super Boat is look'n good and soon will be rockn your world home boy!

ScottyG
05-17-2003, 07:30 PM
I am off the next 2 weeks,sea trials this week.You changed your user name here?We gotta meet at Gilgo for beers.

gojo
05-26-2003, 02:38 PM
SCOTTY G,
SPENT FRIDAY,5-26 AT GILGO. LOOKING FOR SOME RUN TIME AGAINST THAT SURFBOARD YOU REPAIRED. HOPE YOU USED ENOUGH GLUE, CHOP WAS BAD . YOU MIGHT WANTA READ SOME OF THE THREADS IN THE K SECTION. LOOKS LIKE THE BOYS IN THOSE LAKE ROCKETS ARE LOOKN FOR POSITIVE BOUYANCY FACTORS TO KEEP THERE SLEDS EITHER AFLOAT AFTER REPAIR OR AS LIFE JACKETS SHOULD THEY REACH MAX DELAM. VELOCITY.HEY WHAT THE HECK IS MAX DELAM VELOCITY ANYWAY .SIMILAR TO AVIONICS IT MIGHT POSSIBLY BE THE SPEED THAT THE EXTERNAL PRESSURE OUTSIDE THE HULL CAVITY EXCEEDS THE POST MOLECULAR BOND STRENGHS OF YOUR REPAIR,SKIN EFFECT COHESION FACTORS, HYDRAULICS OF WATER PRESSURE AND ITS METICULOUS ENDEAVOR OF SEEKING OUT THE UNFIT. SPEED OVER WATER AS WELL AS IN AIR HAS A TENDENCY TO TEST PRODUCTS BEYOND DESIGN. THATS WHY WE HAVE GOOD BOATS ,AND BAD BOATS. FAST BOATS THAT ARE SAFE AND THOSE THAT RIDE THE FINE LINE BETWEEN FAST SAFE AND DARN RIGHT DANGEROUS.

GOJO

gojo
05-26-2003, 02:44 PM
BYE THE WAY HAD THE SPEEDO UP TO 85 WITH 4 CLICKS LEFT. HOPE YOU GOT THAT MERC READY TO ROCK BUD BOY!

ScottyG
06-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Joe, Missed you by a day, the maiden voyage after the recore was last Thursday,all systems functional and no delamination even in the two footers heading home.I was in hemlock cove all day with my Vector and a buddies Vector.You are faster than me. I haven't done LWP yet so the I am jacked up as far as can go and still get 12PSI at WOT(as per Mercs manual)about 70-72 mph on the GPS depending on wind and current of course.Send me an e-mail next time you plan to go out and maybe we can hook up.Scotty