PDA

View Full Version : SpeedRails - topic for a test?

Toffen
08-10-2001, 09:32 AM
Dear ScreamAndFly folks!

Since we all strive for more speed, this may be a cheap and easy way to gain the extra 2-3 mph! What about testing it out ?

""Speed rail
Speed Rail is probably the cheapest and best way to upgrade the performance of a planing boat. Your boat will have better stability, lower planing threshold and improved speed. Water is deflected down instead of sprayed out to the side. The downward deflected water booth creates lift and skimms the water with air for lower friction. Performance gains vary from hull to hull - but a normal figure is a speed gain of apr 5 % - in some cases magazines tests has shown a 18% speed gain. ""

A set of 4 Speedrails of 1,2 meters each costs in Norway USD 100. Not bad if the gain is 5% ...!

Check our the website http://www.ocke.se. Ocke Mannerfeldt is the designer of the 28 feet Batboat (the boat with wings), so it should work if properly installed.

I will add 4 Speedrails to my Phantom in two weeks time, and I will see what happens.

Cheers, Toffen - Norway

FrenchPhil
08-12-2001, 11:07 AM
Cheers for a fellow european. Wonder how much we are on S&F?

Anyways, let us know how the test go.

PS Do you have the web site of that store ?

Phil

Gerben
08-12-2001, 11:42 AM
European nr 3 here..... (Netherlands)

Greetings,
Gerben

Markus
08-21-2001, 11:53 AM
I have mounted Speed rail on my 22 foot Hydrolift cat. I mounted them at the far back of each step.

I can't say anything about top-end improvements because of engine trouble, but the boat is taking off better.

A cheaper thing to do is to mount ordinary L and T profiles on the the hull to keep water from running up the sides of the hull. That also helps take-off.

Toffen
08-21-2001, 04:48 PM
Hi Markus,

Mounted the speedrails today, but due to a tour abroad, I can not test before early next week.

I will keep the Phantom because it is lovely boat and it handles rough seas better than most. We will see the results soon! To get really fast I am working on a Skater project. Exciting. We have the engines, only the boat left. If I am lucky, I can get hold of a Skater 28. if not, we have a Skater 24 on hand.

Do have any engine builders that you can reccommend for blueprinting my Promax 300? I will not add any bolt ons, only optimize the engine since I am not shure the quality of the fuel in Norway (I have been told some scay stories).

Thanks for your help!

Cheers, Toffen G

Toffen
08-21-2001, 04:53 PM
Hi Markus,

Mounted the speedrails today, but due to a tour abroad, I can not test before early next week.

I will keep the Phantom because it is lovely boat and it handles rough seas better than most. We will sea the results soon!

Do have any engine builders that you can reccommend for blueprinting my promax 300? I will not add any bolt ons, only optimize the engine since I am not shure the quality of the fuel in

Markus
08-23-2001, 03:52 AM
No, I can not really recommend any engine builders in Scandinavia for your Promax. There are very few, if any, who have built a 3 liter Mercury, and you would be the guinea pig.

On the other hand, though, just blue printing and balancing will not add much hp anyway. And factory balancing should be fine at the RPMs you are running.

With a new rig on the way, why bother with the Promax?

How much is the new rig going to cost you, by the way?

Let me know the results with the rails!

Toffen
09-07-2001, 02:53 PM
Hi!

Tested the speedrails toay and lost 2 mph.... And on top of this the temp is lower than 4 weeks ago when I tested the boat last time. The delay in testing was due to waiting for parts for my Promax 300 (teared off transom bracket). Crusing speed the same, but the top speed is definetly lower.

I will remove two of the speedrails, the ones closest to the transom. The rails was mounted according to the manual (bow heavy boat), but it did not work.

I will let you know about the results with two speedrails only, then mounted in front approx. 2,90 meters from the transom.

I am depressed, and all this work in front of me to get them off. Sikaflex 292 is tough stuff!

Cheers from Norway, Toffen

Yamaha 225
09-28-2001, 04:45 PM
Like I told you Toffen! Speedrails work when they are submerged. They lift where the are mounted. That would in most applications make it a slower boat! When you have them on, they suck the boat to the water, and it won't take off!

Yes the one 15x20 cm. manual is REALLY to misunderstand. I have done the job. Put a flat screwdriver in the back, and force them off! Make sure you don't damage your razor-sharp stakes, am I right..??

I want to meet you one day! I will toghether with a friend close our summerhouse at Risör for the winter. I will do this next weeken. I can come down to Lillesand sunday the 7th. og October to test the Mach prop! Try to get rid of the two rails nearest the transom.

Let me hear from Y O U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik A. Eriksen

Toffen
09-29-2001, 04:08 AM
Hi!

You are correct. The boat sucks to the water. I have removed the rails nearest the transom, and the boat is back in business. However, the front rails still slow me down (1 mph), so I will have them removed as well during the winter.

I am off in a meeting next week end, but hopefully I am back in Lillesand during the Sunday mid day. Whats your phone again?

Next year I will add a 2" spacer to get a little more lift without taking off in high seas, and I will experiment with my nose cone lower unit again. Its on the wall a the moment. In addition to this I will have the entire bottom water sanded again with 800 paper lengthwise. Smoth and fast. I think 76-77 mph is the maximum for this heavy hull, and still maintain high seas capabilities.

As you know I am working on a Skater24 w/twin promax 2.5's. So speed will be obtained next summer, thats for sure!

Cheers, Toffen