PDA

View Full Version : New to mercury

Duckco
02-02-2018, 12:51 AM
Good evening guys. As the title States new to Mercury outboards been an OMC guy for years learn how to work on them learn different models learn different things with them so I'm not saying I'm an expert but I've learned a few things that's what brings me here to see if someone can answer some questions about Mercury's for I can increase my knowledge on these motors. I just picked up a 1991 Mercury Black Max 150 I called Mercury themselves and ran the serial number and they told me that it was just a Mercury Black Max 150 2.0 liter but when I ran my serial numbers to order parts it's telling me that it's a xrm 4. Anybody have any clues on this will be greatly appreciated I've been told that these motors in their heyday where the thing to have. I have a 1989 Kingfisher 16:9 XL that's going on a back of. Serial number is 0D038864

billybob
02-21-2018, 11:33 AM
The first XR motors were 2 litre with 2 to 1 gearcase. later on it had small diameter 1.67 to 1 gearcase. both were great motors. Then it went to XR4, which was 2.4 litre with boost ports but it had vertical reeds to keep hp. down. the early ones had the small gearcase. until merc. got tired of warr. for them. & started installing std. gearcase.these were great motors. then when they went to 2.5 litre it was called XR6 it was lower compression & unfortunately had a D port cut in exh. port which limited hp. it,s an ok motor but will live longer.

Deznuts3570
02-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Duckco, they have some bad dudes very close to you lol!

Duckco
02-21-2018, 12:15 PM
I'm not following deeeeezzzznuts hahah