PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars

sms
05-01-2003, 12:07 PM
This was supposed to be done before boating weather got here.

sms
05-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Still a little way to go.

sms
05-01-2003, 12:11 PM
Maybe I can paint this black, stand it on end and send it to Jay Smith for a few upgrades.

Raceman
05-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Man, that's a great lookin' project. You sure you don't want to hang a small block and a Muncie in it? The second car I had when I was a kid was a 63 SS Nova. We stuck a 350 horse 327 (L79) and a Muncie in it and it was a rocket in those days. I ran across a real straight body last year and bought it with the same idea, but it's just collectin' dust now. I always liked those early Novas. The rags have gotta be super rare too. I don't recall ever seeing over 2 or 3 of em. There's one in this month's Hemmings for sale.

Raceman
05-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Oh yeah, don't forget to post more pictures as you start gettin it together.

sms
05-01-2003, 03:06 PM
Ok Raceman.
At the risk of turning this into Nova&Fly, here's more for you.
P.S., The small block, 5-lug parts, etc... are all being assembled from old projects. I've allready tied the subframes. My wife wants me to hurry and get it going (this is HER car) so it's the killer 194 for now.

sms
05-01-2003, 03:07 PM
another

sms
05-01-2003, 03:08 PM
last one

stray cat
05-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Sms nice nova ragtop are you going to keep the interior marina blue? I really like those old chevys I have a marina blue 67 Malibu ragtop with the old 250 six and a hardtop also marina blue with a 300 327 both of em have power glides and 6 67 parts cars. If I ever have to move I'm screwed. My wife says some of the toys need to go anyway. I dont know what to get rid of first or middle or last maybe if I ignore it for a while she'll leave me alone about em. You've got a real nice start keep the pictures coming. Billy

Jason Huber
05-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Looks like a really sano resto! :D Would look sweet w/a set of polished Torque Thrusts on her... :cool:

sms
07-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Here is an update on the Nova. (assuming anyone cares!) What other projects are out there?

sms
07-17-2003, 08:23 AM

sms
07-17-2003, 08:23 AM

Raceman
07-19-2003, 10:57 AM
"(assuming anyone cares!) "

I always like lookin' at car stuff. I could post a bunch of pics of unfinished car projects, but they'd look the same as they did a year ago.

My 55 Chevy is makin' progress little by little with somebody else doing the sheet metal and suspension work

My 65 GTO is back from the paint shop and at the upholstery shop getting a new convertible top, hopefully through next week.

The Vega hot rod still ain't been touched

None of the Corvettes have been touched

The big block Biscayne is gettin' all the side glass back in next week (if the glass guy shows) after sitting dormant for 2 years back from the paint shop

The LS6 Chevelle has been supposedly headed for the bodyshop for about 6 mos, but the guy keeps movin' me back. I hope this week'll be the magic time.

I'm gettin' down to the point of having to get help with some of this old junk or I'll never live long enough to see it finished. A lot of this stuff that I'm farmin' out now I used to do myself, but it just ain't gettin' done.

Talon2.5
07-20-2003, 05:16 AM
man i would love to take that ole 55 off your hands so you have one less project to worry about ;) :D

Raceman
07-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Skip, unfortunately, it's the one I'm the most interested in right now. The car was real solid, except for the front floors and rocker mouldings. Most of the floor problems were from being butchered from several different shiffter holes. The guy doing the metal work has all that done and a new trunk floor tacked in too. He's now fixin' to split the inner wheel houses and put a 2 1/2" strip in em so I can run 17 X 11 wheels and 335/35 rubber on the back. When the metal work's finished he's pullin' the chassis and I'm getting it powder coated. He's got all the rear suspension work done (12 bolt, coil overs, panhard bar) and a custom crossmember for the 6 speed mount, so just the front suspension is left to do when the frame gets back, hopefully by Sept. 1. I'm hopin' by then that GM's released the new 572 crate motor and we can work out the exhaust for the tall deck block and get it in the paint shop by the first of Nov. That's the time frame anyway. We probably won't miss it by much more than a year or so.

Talon2.5
07-22-2003, 05:46 AM
well..........you just keep on finishing it up for me then :D :D

Raceman
07-22-2003, 07:47 AM
Anything I've got is for sale, but with all this high dolla' hardware this one'd probably be pricey.

Talon2.5
07-22-2003, 12:37 PM
as nice as thats gonna be i'll get out of boating altogether to afford it ;)

Checkmate Too
08-13-2003, 08:07 PM
my son and i bought this. $600
after a complete brake job and a tune up, were driving it
It'll be a long term project, keeps us busy on rainy nights

LaserModVee
08-14-2003, 06:39 AM
sms-

That deuce looks beautiful!

I'm a die hard 63-67 Nova man myself.
My first car was a 1965 Nova wagon.....I still have it, now 13 years later.

Keep the updates coming!

I'll get some more pics of my wagon sometime.

sms
08-14-2003, 07:57 AM
Checkmate, good deal. The father son deals are the best! Heres a quick update on the deuce:

sms
08-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Nova update:
A couple more hours and it's ready for the first drive in two (long) years.

sms
08-25-2003, 12:05 PM
engine

sms
08-25-2003, 12:06 PM
uc

sms
08-25-2003, 12:08 PM
uc2

LaserModVee
08-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Here's a video of me firing up the wagon this past winter before I moved to Florida.
Remember, it was 30-something degrees out, so it didn't want to idle.

At least you can hear it and get an idea of all the work I put into the front end and everything.

Not the prettiest, but functional.

RIGHT CLICK HERE, SAVE AS, AND WATCH ONCE DOWNLOADED (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/urinalcake/Winterwagon.WMV)

mardyn
08-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Here's a shot of my car taken on a recent cruise night...

Check out my friend Dave Weaver driving... he's a no picture takin' dog, so I had to hop out and snap the photo myself...

And even got the Ford sign in the background... didn't even notice that 'til later the next day...

mardyn

sms
08-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Cool video Brian.
Has it been on the track? E.T. /speed?

Mardyn, nice Shelby. I suppose the Camaro ultimately got around you, right?

sms
08-28-2003, 09:12 AM
Here is my old street racer project. Best on track time was 9.85/138.

mardyn
08-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Here's a few more pix of the recent cruise weekend I attended over in Vernon, TX...

mardyn
08-28-2003, 11:03 AM
This thing is a big deal over in this small town each summer. Over 1300 pre-'74 muscle cars and street rods registered for the weekend... they close down the main drag for cruise night activities... there are hundreds of people lining the streets on both sides for about 2 or 3 miles...

Note the crane/bucket truck in the distance... they're shooting video for the local TV stations and cable channels... they even did a special feature on my car... I'm still waiting to hear when it will air.

mardyn
08-28-2003, 11:08 AM
My friend Jason's Chevelle... 468 BBC with D & D T56 (Viper) 6 speed... very cool car... but alas, no A/C like my old Ford...

sms
08-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Nice cruising pics!
Hey LaserModVee did you notice my sub-frame connectors and multi leafs? Probably not too many 6 bangers running around this way. I'm picking up another small block tomorrow. Big (sleeper) plans for this winter.

sms
10-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Project Nova update Oct 5, 2003

Raceman
10-06-2003, 12:41 PM
SMS, if you keep postin' those pictures with all that progress you're gonna make me get back started on one of mine. It's lookin' good.

David, I just saw your post on the Chevelle. I bought one of those D & D Viper transmissions for one of my projects and it's great. 5th gear is .75 over drive and 6th is .5, so a 4.56 gear becomes a 2.28. I can't wait to try it in a hotrod type application.

LaserModVee
10-06-2003, 01:55 PM
SMS-
I did see those springs!
Just went back and looked again, can't believe I missed the connectors! :D
Man, that sucker is shaping up nicely. I love the convertible Deuce, it's something you just don't see at every show.

What all do you have planned for that six banger?
Keep the pics coming!
I'm with Raceman, you're making me feel guilty for not having my wagon at the dragstrip yet. I've been giving all my attention to the toys that float lately.

Raceman,
You know that six speed had to of been designed by some fellas that had hot rods and that same idea in the back of their heads! You can turn the gear and still hit the freeway at 80 without turning 6500 rpms. Cool as hell. My next project will be a six gear car undoubtedly.

Raceman
10-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Brian, all 6 speeds aren't created equal. Some have 5th gear in the 8's and 6th in the upper 6's or low 7's. The Viper unit is the one to have, and the D & D conversion makes it a direct bolt in to any GM bell housing with a stock GM old style clutch, instead of special bellhousing and hydraulic clutch like a lot of em have. The D & D unit also has a custom tail shaft housing that uses a mechanical speedo gear rather than the later electronic stuff. The Viper unit is also rated for 50 more lbs of torque than the GM type as found in the Camaro & Firebird. There are also some ZF units floating around from the earlier 6 speed Corvettes, and although they to have the .5 high gear ratio, they aren't as strong as the T56 Viper unit and parts are harder to get and expensive.

I did a good bit of research before I ordered my first one. D & D is also 500 to 1000 cheaper than some of the other people selling the ready to bolt in conversions, and they upgrade the shift forks while they're at it.

sms
10-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Brian, the plan for the 6 is to keep it alive for awhile because it's the original engine, but soon it'll come back out to live on a stand while we play.
Will the Viper transmissions fit in a normal (Nova or Camaro) stock tunnel?

Raceman
10-07-2003, 08:48 PM
I don't know exactly where the 6 speed will and won't fit at this point. It went in my 55 chevy fine, except for moving the shifter hole. I'm probably going to 6 speed the 69 Camaro before long, but that wouldn't help with the clearance questions on the early Nova tunnel. One thing for sure is that the shifter hole won't go where a Muncie or Borg Warner shifter fits. Keisler Transmissions in Tenn does a conversion on their units where the shifter goes through the front plate in the 6 speed, but that actually places it farther to the front than the standard Muncie position. I still think the D & D is the best bang for the buck.

sms
10-08-2003, 02:38 PM
I just realized that my photos all started after the hard stuff. Here's what we had to work with.

sms
10-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Dash

sms
10-08-2003, 02:44 PM
It had junk buckets from who knows what. The trim tag shows the car to be white with blue vinyl so I found a correct bench in Kentucky, found some NOS vinyl in Detroit, and turned my wife loose on the seat restro.

sms
10-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Smoothing the firewall a little. Front clip blasted and painted.

clydecleinmark
10-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Those old Nova wagons are cool. I was in junior high and living in Detroit in the early 60's. My dad was a dfrag racer and every weekend, we were at Detroit Dragway. The best events I remember was when Dyno Don Nicholson would show up with his Vette fuelie powered Nova wagon and full size 409 car. Arnie Beswick would be ther with the Grocery Getter Temest Wagon and full sized swiss cheesed Catalina. That was the only dragstrip I've ever seen that ran four cars at a time. Can you imagine in one pass, seeing Beswick, Nicholson, the Ramchargers and Gas Rhonda ?

sms
11-21-2003, 09:51 AM
A new project in the family! After a couple years of searching,
I found Dad a 53 Bel Air convertible. Not too bad a car either,
needs mostly suspension work (allready in process) and trim work. Paint can wait a year or so.
This first picture is from 1959 in St. Paul, Mn. and explains why a 53 convertible, light blue, was the target for our search. Thats Dad and his wood boat AWOL.
Second picture is the new toy.

sms
11-21-2003, 09:52 AM

Raceman
11-21-2003, 12:10 PM
What a neat car. I can't imagine how hard that was to find. In all these years of going to car shows and auctions I've never seen one.

sms
03-10-2004, 02:03 PM
It's been forever since the last update, mainly because I have not done much on the Nova lately. Last night I got the hydraulic top frame working on it's own, ready for sewing on the top, and got all the door glass and seals installed. We have found at swap meets about all the missing chrome and stainless trim for reinstallation.

Also it developed a trans leak just sitting there. Not rebuilding the tranny is the only shortcut I've taken and it bit me, so now I picked up a rebuild kit for that too!

Here's the pics.

sms
03-10-2004, 02:04 PM

sms
03-10-2004, 02:08 PM

175checkmate
03-16-2004, 02:56 PM
My on going project. 1973 Plymouth Fury Grand Coupe 2dr.
440/727 3.91 gears. Started life honey yellow with a white top.
Now its plum crazy purple.
Its waiting for the boat to be completed.

WARLOCK
03-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know what a 69 chevelle is worth. SS396, #s match, build sheet, original bill of sale, automatic, very clean interior, no rust but needs paint, purchased from collector but sat outside for last 2 years. They bought it for their 16 year old son but he does'nt like it anymore. Must be rough. Any way I'm going to look at this on Thursday. they are asking $15000.00 but I got them down to $10,000.00 on the phone. Any help would be appreciated. Later, Dave

Raceman
03-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Dave, it's hard to figure what cars are worth without really goin' over em, but off the cuff, it sounds high to me. The high perf stuff gets pricey and I've seen a couple of L78 (396/375HP) cars that were real nice (show quality paint and detail) in the 30's, but there were several 68/69 big block Chevelles at Daytona last weekend in the mid to upper teens that looked fairly decent at a glance. With high quality paintwork fetchin' 5K and more around here, with no major metalwork like rust or panel replacement required, it's hard to get a low optioned, low horsepower car up to a real good level and not be upside down. Just an opinion, but unless its a real simple repaint and already pretty decent otherwise, I'd think a low horse 396 would be easy to bury yourself in unless you're gonna keep it for a long time. The 66's and 67's seem to be a lot stronger and the junkers are in the teens already with the nice stuff double that, but I don't see it happening with the 68/69/70 cars, for a while at least.

clydecleinmark
03-23-2004, 11:08 AM
sms, The Nova is looking real good. What's a convertible top cost these days?? The one on my 68 GTO was installed in the early 80's. I think it was about $450 back then. Has held up well but the stitching under the back window is failing. I suggest you investigate some type of nylon thread. Warlock, Why not just mortgage your house and take the "wad" to Volo for a car?? You'd look good in the Batmobile!! I think you owe it to yourself after all you've made it through.

racerx
03-24-2004, 09:28 PM
clyde that top for the goat cost me 175 bucks done,and it was a perfect job,wanna trade the goat back for your 2 plus 2 and i will pitch in 10 grand?

WARLOCK
03-25-2004, 07:06 AM
Thanks alot. I went over to look at this on saturday. It was cleaner than I expected, but still too much work for me. the interier is pretty much mint, but the headliner needs to be replaced. There is no rust holes or even any bubbling paint anywhere and the frame is excellent. Could be a real cool cruiser, but like I said, I want to drive em, not work on em. Thanks alot Raceman. Hey Clyde. I heard you were looking at that Munsters coffin car at Volo. Any truth to that er what? My wife could'nt wait for me to get back to work so I would quit bringing all these brochures and ads home. I am still working on one deal, and if it happens I basically gonna have to sell my soul to the devil to get it. But she'll understand....after a year or so. I'll talk to ya later. Later, Dave

sms
08-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Finally scrounged up all the mouldings I need less the front of hood and trunk die cast pieces. The old ones aren't worthy of reinstalling.
Just about there!

Raceman
08-26-2004, 10:34 AM
I don't know if I posted it somewhere already or not, but I sold my 63 Nova project several weeks ago. I just wasn't happy with the direction the body shop had taken it, and didn't see any way to make it really nice except to pay them for what they'd already done, then take it somewhere else to get straightened out. The guy who was doing the work had a buddy who was lookin' for a drag car candidate, so I took the opportunity to bail out unscathed. With these fools around here wantin' 10K and up now for really high quality paint I just didn't see throwin' that kinda money at THAT particular car even though it was really solid.

I'm gonna be in the market for a 63 - 65 that's farther along. I really HATE parting with one of my cars.

heath brinkley
08-28-2004, 07:22 PM
I love '53 Chevy's, always in the shadows of their younger brothers (55-57). cool picture of your Dad. Nova's looking good.