PDA

View Full Version : DIY Outboard Bracket

Pyro Chuck
01-16-2018, 04:18 PM
We will be hangin' some outboards on Project HSB this summer. It was originally an I/O boat but I love outboards for various reasons so that is the route I will be taking here. I am currently visiting down here in TX to try and find a cheap twin-style bracket/platform on the cheap from the storm damaged boats but if I cannot find one then we will be making one for ourselves. The pic attached looks like a nice design for starters but I would love to see what you have come up with as well.

Thanks again,

Pyro

Instigator
01-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Cool thread.

Getting ready to do the same thing.

Ive restored, repowerd two 24' Sonic twin O/B's
The first one had two Gil brackets similar to your picture. I replaced them w/a swim platform w/integrated motor boards/brackets.
That one I had made by B Brackets. Was 15 yrs ago and I think was $1500.

The second Sonic already had that style bracket on it but was fiberglass instead of aluminum like the first one.

Im currently converting an I/O Checkmate to twin O/B and still pondering brackets.
I got one quote from Armstrong @ 5K. Theyre the biggest and the best but not in my bubget.

My plan is to draw up prints for an aluminum version and have a local fab shop quote it. If reasonable, Ill go that route.
If not, Ill build one from glass.

The pixs are of the B Bracket on the first Sonic and the style I will copy.

Pyro Chuck
01-17-2018, 11:52 AM
I would prefer a full platform yes. But I really do like the looks of the tubular type bracket with gusseting such as in the pic I posted. Hoping to find an Armstrong or Stainless Marine one down here in TX but not discounting the idea of designing and building on for ourselves. Please keep us informed of your progress there love to hear about it all sounds like a fun project as well.

Thanks,

Pyro

Instigator
01-17-2018, 03:10 PM
I would prefer a full platform yes. But I really do like the looks of the tubular type bracket with gusseting such as in the pic I posted. Hoping to find an Armstrong or Stainless Marine one down here in TX but not discounting the idea of designing and building on for ourselves. Please keep us informed of your progress there love to hear about it all sounds like a fun project as well.

Thanks,

Pyro

Two huge positives to my style.

One is substantial flotation where you really need it and two is, it acts as a gusset across the back of the transom, adding major rigidity where yours allows it to flex between the two brackets.

kct11
01-17-2018, 09:01 PM
I have a nice twin outboard bracket from a dcb I would sell. It's for a tunnel though so motors are set a bit apart.

Pyro Chuck
01-18-2018, 06:05 PM
I have a nice twin outboard bracket from a dcb I would sell. It's for a tunnel though so motors are set a bit apart.
What is it made of? Pic?

kct11
01-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Aluminum. if I remembered correct it's 89 wide with motors 69 apart. 397547397548

SUNKIST
02-01-2018, 03:24 PM
heres a mounting bracket for 50$ 398654 398655 398656 398657 anyone.

davemvegas
02-01-2018, 07:04 PM

here you go. 2,000

gtflash76
02-07-2018, 12:59 PM
We will be hangin' some outboards on Project HSB this summer. It was originally an I/O boat but I love outboards for various reasons so that is the route I will be taking here. I am currently visiting down here in TX to try and find a cheap twin-style bracket/platform on the cheap from the storm damaged boats but if I cannot find one then we will be making one for ourselves. The pic attached looks like a nice design for starters but I would love to see what you have come up with as well.

Thanks again,

Pyro

What thickness tubes Uber’s are they using. Stainless or Ali?

Pyro Chuck
02-11-2018, 01:01 PM
What thickness tubes Uber’s are they using. Stainless or Ali?

Still not sure exactly have one more trip down to TX for Spring Break to find a good used Stainless marine one but keeping all options open at this point. Thanks everyone for your replies here.

Pyro

Pyro Chuck
02-11-2018, 01:02 PM
heres a mounting bracket for 50$

Is that just iron or something else?

SUNKIST
02-12-2018, 07:06 AM
Steel mounting bracket

mercquicksilver
09-11-2022, 02:48 PM
Aluminum. if I remembered correct it's 89 wide with motors 69 apart. 397547397548

Can you trim the engines all the way up on that boat? It looks like they will hit the transom.

kct11
09-11-2022, 03:00 PM
Not sure sure on that hull. It doesn't have a splash well so it looks like no.