PDA

View Full Version : 25' Checkmate Convincor I/O to twin O/B's

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Instigator
06-22-2020, 05:45 PM
Sorry, just caught this Michael.

I gave the whole hatch to a guy on the CM board.

Installed the VRO tanks and put 5 gls of gas in it to see what would work.
Remote fill on VRO’s worked great, 3 gl tanks will be killer.
I was getting 2 1/2 tanks of fuel per 1gl tank on the Sonic so should see 7 or 8 tanks on this.

Squeeze bulb, after 3 squeezes put fuel in filters and electric primers worked perfect.

Oh do you still have the hardware for the old hatch?

mrichartz
06-22-2020, 09:21 PM
Sorry, just caught this Michael.

I gave the whole hatch to a guy on the CM board.

Installed the VRO tanks and put 5 gls of gas in it to see what would work.
Remote fill on VRO’s worked great, 3 gl tanks will be killer.
I was getting 2 1/2 tanks of fuel per 1gl tank on the Sonic so should see 7 or 8 tanks on this.

Squeeze bulb, after 3 squeezes put fuel in filters and electric primers worked perfect.

I should have been quicker.. actually should have called the first time I saw you were taking it out!
Eh it opens and closes(locks) just no in between.
Like that from the day I got it keep forgetting about it..

Instigator
06-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Making headway rigging.

Put the wiring harness to the port motor, hooked up fuel and oil, and hit the key and started instantly.

Forgot it was full of seafoam and instantly filled my shop with smoke which activated the fire alarm which earned a call from simply safe alarm company!

Great alarm company by the way if anybody shopping.

I’m punching out for the day today but plan to pull it out of the barn tomorrow and run both motors on the hose.

Shot a short video of the port motor just now but this site does not like the file type.

Can almost see light at the end of the tunnel.

AZMIDLYF
06-27-2020, 01:55 PM

Instigator
07-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Three steps forward, two back.

Pulled it out of the shop and put some heat in the motors.
Starboard motor started, idled perfect.

Port motor fought me every step of the way. Missed, popped, stalled, barely idled etc.
Spark test shows random firing and w/new ignition so I’m guessing I’ve got wires crossed under the power pack.
I love these motors but having 17 plugs and harnesses folded in half and smashed under the power pack, against the top of the block, insane.
Put it back in the barn.

Got graphics for the motors but not sold on it.
Hes working on some changes for me and is doing the Checkmate logos in black and white to match the motors.

Plumbed the steering and found a bleeder in one of my rams is stripped.
Good thing I have a spare.
Ugh

AZMIDLYF
07-16-2020, 08:32 PM

Instigator
07-18-2020, 08:42 AM
Just to make mrichartz happy 😝, Pulled the trailer out from under the boat to weight so I can then weight it w/the boat to see where we’re at.

No sure if I can “not” put a pad on the bottom now 😉

mrichartz
07-18-2020, 08:53 AM
No excuse not to put a pad on it now!:D

Greg G
07-18-2020, 08:58 AM
I always thought the old Convincer 25's had raised pads from the factory.

mrichartz
07-18-2020, 09:15 AM
13 or 15"" wide flat vee on the bottom depending on where you measure

Instigator
07-18-2020, 10:26 AM
They still have some vee to them.

Ny plans is for a 5 1/2” flat pad added to it.

I always thought the old Convincer 25's had raised pads from the factory.

MODVP22
07-18-2020, 11:03 AM
Just to make mrichartz happy , Pulled the trailer out from under the boat to weight so I can then weight it w/the boat to see where we’re at.

No sure if I can “not” put a pad on the bottom now 

now there’s the rational I like to hear

Greg G
07-18-2020, 08:10 PM
They still have some vee to them. My plan is for a 5 1/2” flat pad added to it.

Got it.

Dave Strong
07-18-2020, 08:30 PM
They still have some vee to them.

Ny plans is for a 5 1/2” flat pad added to it.

You should be able to get it up on that v pad. Try it first could have some adverse effects on handling all round. Sometimes a bit od compromise is the best.

Dave

Instigator
07-18-2020, 11:20 PM
I have no doubt about getting it to, and keeping it on the pad.

I have a combined 14 yrs on two 24’ Sonics and keeping them on their pads, and they were round ��

Only fast pad is a flat pad.

You should be able to get it up on that v pad. Try it first could have some adverse effects on handling all round. Sometimes a bit od compromise is the best.

Dave

V-bottom
07-19-2020, 08:53 AM
Why does the lip of the pad look a little wonky on the left side? I am sure it must just be the angle of the pic?

Instigator
07-19-2020, 09:17 AM
It’s primer showing through the white gel coat I burned through when buffing the transom before installing the bracket.
Doh!

Why does the lip of the pad look a little wonky on the left side? I am sure it must just be the angle of the pic?

V-bottom
07-19-2020, 09:33 AM
It’s primer showing through the white gel coat I burned through when buffing the transom before installing the bracket.
Doh!

Well at least that's an easy fix.
When is the 1st launch expected?

Instigator
08-04-2020, 07:17 AM
No clue.
W/the pool/deck project going on, my free time is spread a bit thin these days.

Ive done enough of these projects to know that if you stop at 80% and start using/running it, you never finish it.

Ive wanted one of these all my life so if it takes another yr....., I’m OK w/that.

I had my deck helper help me carry in my patio door/mold to start laying up the pad for the bottom.

Well at least that's an easy fix.
When is the 1st launch expected?

mrichartz
08-04-2020, 08:14 AM
Yea if you take it out you all of a sudden you over look or it's good for now then it's years later..
It's coming along nicely..but another year I can't wait that long get it together man.! Lol

Instigator
08-04-2020, 04:57 PM
I know, I know.

I didn’t have the supplies I needed to lay up the pad on the door so after scratching my head a bit and not wanting to waste a rain day, (BTW, tomorrow is one too) I built a mold.
If my thinking is clear and my math is close, should be a pc of cake.

Mold is 8’ and spit balling is looking like 11’ - 12’ overall which is way shorter than I thought.

Ill start laying it up tomorrow.

Yea if you take it out you all of a sudden you over look or it's good for now then it's years later..
It's coming along nicely..but another year I can't wait that long get it together man.! Lol

Instigator
10-03-2020, 03:51 PM
Slow progress, but progress just the same.

Spent the last 3 months building the boss a pool and deck from hell.
Got it enough finished to be functional then snuck out in the shop.

After seeing a paper towel blow under a foot on one of my boat stands (meaning it’s on 3 feet instead of all four) I’ve decided to postpone the pad project.

Steering at the motors has been apart and back together a bazillion Times But think I finally got it.

Out of money due to the pool/deck project so being careful w/funds too.

Got my control cables and adapters to put that together.

Ordered battery cable to make them.

Decided to update the trailer while the boat was off of it.
Orig discs on front axle were toast so had to replace those calipers and cut the rotors.
While at it I added a second set to the rear axle.

Also added a second set of bunks. Only had two orig and I didn’t like what I saw.

Founf the switches I needed to put trim in the throttle handle.

Fall is here in Ohio but still hoping to get it wet before our water gets hard.

Heres some random pixs.

Pilotryan
10-07-2020, 09:19 AM
Do you spray your gel in the shop? If so, what kind of spray setup do you use?

Instigator
10-07-2020, 11:16 AM
Used MEK and thinned it enough to blow through a regular HVLP fun.

Only issue was it flowed tacked up w/a gloss then dried to a flat finish.

Was hoping to skip the buff/polish process.

Do you spray your gel in the shop? If so, what kind of spray setup do you use?

baja200merk
10-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Your not gonna run it and have a before and after pad comparison?

Actually if it was mine it would never go back under the knife once it runs so it wouldnt get a pad once it runs. :leaving:

Instigator
10-07-2020, 01:04 PM
We’ll see.
Putting the boat back on the trailer made me way nervous and don’t want to do it again.
Prettying sure I can put boat/trailer on jack stands and get to what I need to install a pad.
Id basically lay it up on my table then just bond it to the bottom.

Like everything else on this project (**** brakes on trailer), everything’s fighting me.
Currently test fitting interior prior to final rig.
Boat was represented as having a new interior but it was a **** job and all the wood frames are trashed. (haven’t looked at it in 2 yrs)
Band aided it together to test then pull the skins off and build new frames/bases.

Argh........

Your not gonna run it and have a before and after pad comparison?

Actually if it was mine it would never go back under the knife once it runs so it wouldnt get a pad once it runs. :leaving:

Pilotryan
10-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Well, as you’ve said before and you’ll say again:

This is your end all, be all build. If it’s not done to your standards, the right way, the first time then it’s not living up to what it’s meant to be. I, for one, am pretty excited to see how it turns out. I read all 35 pages yesterday afternoon so I’m all caught up.

Instigator
10-07-2020, 03:01 PM
Thx much Ryan.

Tough to get in a hurry when I’ve waited this long, and gotten this far.
Although the interior looks like crap, it was fun to sit in it w/it looking like a boat again for the first time in almost 3 yrs.

I really, really, really want to build to two hot rod powerheads for it this winter too.

Here’s some new, random shots.

baja200merk
10-08-2020, 08:11 AM
I hear you i put my 30ft 10k lbs cat on boat stands yesterday to do the bottom. Got a guy on it 3 full days now. Not my favorite thing to do even with my big forklift.

boat looks great

Instigator
10-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Wiring, rigging and fabricating.....

Loved that the late loopers went to a single rigging tube until, rigging one!

Ive thought I fished my last wire, cable, tube through them, 20 times!

Did some plastic fabricating too.

The motor/pump for my trim tabs is designed to be mated to a bulkhead and comes w/a bracket to do so. The way I plumbed mine though (conserving as much floor space for hauling/storing funk) it needs to sit on the floor.
Had a scrap of nylon that worked perfect.

I have a nice (expensive) main power breaker panel for the helm/forward but I wanted one for the aft compartment w/o spending the money.
Used another scrap to make a cover for a ground bus bar that will now become a positive power supply. Take offs will be fused.

And I wonder why this damn thing is taking so long..

Instigator
10-18-2020, 09:21 AM
Power bar.

**** picture, sorry.

For some reason it won’t load the other ones.

Pilotryan
10-18-2020, 06:39 PM
Looking good! What have you thought up for the cabin entrance? I remember you saying you were going to redesign it or something.

Instigator
10-20-2020, 08:30 AM
That chapter got demoted to back burner so I could have a shot at splashing the boat before our water gets hard.

I saw another Convincor w/the cabin entrance/bulkhead moved aft 6” so will be doing that.

Part of reason for the delay is it will be a huge project as I’m going to add a hatch over entrance like my Sonics had and that will require totally reengineering the helm and it is a stressed member so not like I can just cut a notch and screw in a hatch.

Will be a fun project.
Even w/as small as the cabin is, lots can be done.

Looking good! What have you thought up for the cabin entrance? I remember you saying you were going to redesign it or something.

Instigator
10-23-2020, 05:32 PM
Finally done drilling holes in the helm.
I think!
What a PIA.
Sick of filling the boat w/dust and cleaning it up.

Its far from what I want but functionally should be perfect.

Buttons for tabs, trim, jack plates, primers etc.
Primers aren’t in picture.
I added them between the steering hub and the gauges for the trim tabs.

Rained most of this week so mamma let me work out there all wk.

Another day or two and it’s ready to splash.

Pulled it out today, drug it through a car wash, weighed it, then put 20 gls of gas in it.

Michael, they ain’t as light as you were hoping.
3780 fully rigged, w/full interior except bulkheads for the cabin.

Keep in mind that’s 1000 lbs of motors, 100 lb bracket, 100 lbs of jack plates, 100 lbs of batteries etc.
I was guessing 2500 for bare hull (which is excellent for this type boat) so I’d say that’s close.

Pilotryan
10-23-2020, 07:21 PM
Super excited to see her sitting in the water!! Mother Nature better play nicely.

tux974
10-24-2020, 09:04 AM
Great job Gary. Looks awesome...:thumbsup:

Cary 29
10-24-2020, 09:45 AM
Yes ... Great work Gary. You always have excellent ideasand well executed craftsmanship.

mrichartz
10-27-2020, 11:16 AM
Hey Gary, looking good really hope you get it in the water at least once before it's to cold up there!!
Nothing like cleaning then drilling cutting then cleaning then doing it again..

I was curious because they said the '84 outboard weighted less I weighed mine and its 3125# rigged jackplates, motors 25 gals fuel etc except I did swap out the heavy seats and ripped out the plywood backs for the seats in the cabin that was over 200#

Question what's the Loa exactly just the boat? Was told mine was 1 of four '84 outboard ..and its shorter and lighter.
The 84 or 85 was 2000 to 2400 to start
After that 86 up they get heavier outboard and stern.

I was really wondering where/why the difference in the weight was from factory too but no one I talked to knew.
Not like it really matters that much not changing anything just one of those things was curious about and why.

QUOTE=Instigator;3240731]Finally done drilling holes in the helm.
I think!
What a PIA.

Pulled it out today, drug it through a car wash, weighed it, then put 20 gls of gas in it.

Keep in mind that’s 1000 lbs of motors, 100 lb bracket, 100 lbs of jack plates, 100 lbs of batteries etc.
I was guessing 2500 for bare hull (which is excellent for this type boat) so I’d say that’s close.[/QUOTE]

Instigator
10-27-2020, 12:44 PM
So yours is 650 lbs lighter than mine??

Not sure where it’d be possible to cut that from mine unless all the foam under my floor is water logged but everywhere I’ve been is dry.

I known the balsa cored front deck is like enough that I just noticed it sagging between the hatches.

Ill measure it for you.

Hey Gary, looking good really hope you get it in the water at least once before it's to cold up there!!
Nothing like cleaning then drilling cutting then cleaning then doing it again..

I was curious because they said the '84 outboard weighted less I weighed mine and its 3125# rigged jackplates, motors 25 gals fuel etc except I did swap out the heavy seats and ripped out the plywood backs for the seats in the cabin that was over 200#

Question what's the Loa exactly just the boat? Was told mine was 1 of four '84 outboard ..and its shorter and lighter.
The 84 or 85 was 2000 to 2400 to start
After that 86 up they get heavier outboard and stern.

I was really wondering where/why the difference in the weight was from factory too but no one I talked to knew.
Not like it really matters that much not changing anything just one of those things was curious about and why.

QUOTE=Instigator;3240731]Finally done drilling holes in the helm.
I think!
What a PIA.

I was guessing 2500 for bare hull (which is excellent for this type boat) so I’d say that’s close.[/QUOTE]

mrichartz
10-30-2020, 06:36 PM
So yours is 650 lbs lighter than mine??

Not sure where it’d be possible to cut that from mine unless all the foam under my floor is water logged but everywhere I’ve been is dry.

I known the balsa cored front deck is like enough that I just noticed it sagging between the hatches.

Ill measure it for you.

[/QUOTE]

Yea my 25' convincor is 24' and change Im goin to measure it again in a bit..
And that was with a bunch of gear up front and in the boat I forgot to take out need to weigh that to and - might only be 40# or? Don't know yet
Is one of 4 the 24' outboard was really rare I guess and the layup was different..BUT i have no idea and the guys telling me I didn't know them but seemed to have alot of info(could have been full of **** too I don't know)
I was told the inboards were a full 25'..
650 + # would be easy with it starting lighter and stuff I took out. If I didn't need/want it it came out.
What I want to do next...well at some point is.....well that's another story..ill get the damn thing in the water next week for a bit still have some things to do.

Instigator
10-30-2020, 08:21 PM
I’ll bet you a 12 pack ours are the same hulls.

They built a 24’, IO and OB, the Enforcer.
Why would they build that and a 24’4” Convincor.

Advertised weights are often just that.
Advertised.

I know boats fairly well and I know Checkmates fairly well.
Ive had mine down to bare hull and I don’t see anyway to shave off 650 lbs.

50 maybe....

mrichartz
10-30-2020, 08:31 PM
Yea it's 24' 2" give or take an inch hard to measure by myself and cover on.
That's why I figured the guy I was talking to had an idea because he knew it was only 24'

mrichartz
10-30-2020, 08:43 PM
I have know idea and DO not claim to have any answer or know..lol
That's why I was asking and curious..now I'm going to have to weigh it again at some point..after being ocd about it last time
Like I said it all depends the factory seats I took out weighted over 125# a piece..

I thought back then that it might be different model because of the length but I checked the HIN and it's a convincor
Have to start researching again and see if it is one of 4 24' + ..If anyone even has a clue

Instigator
10-31-2020, 03:58 AM
Guess I was cornfused.

I thought you were anxious for me to weigh mine because you hadn’t weighed yours.

That's why I was asking and curious..now I'm going to have to weigh it again at some point..after being ocd about it last time
Like I said it all depends the factory seats I took out weighted over 125# a piece..

mrichartz
10-31-2020, 09:36 AM
Oh I had weighted mine but I wanted to know how much yours was because I was told they were heavier.
I was trying to get info and put pieces together of info I was told.

Oh did you measure yours? Convincor 251

As for advertised weight? I don't know what they had in the boat seats etc but..
I'm now going with actual weight.
I'm trying to look at all the pics but if you start with I don't have a windshield how much does that hatch weigh?
I took out hundreds of #s
between the heavy ass seats
All the plywood stuff in the cabin and other stuff..

But I'm really looking to see if they are different .
Like is yours 25'
If that nonsense makes any sense..
Oh still need to call you about props I keep forgetting and now the time difference

mrichartz
10-31-2020, 11:56 AM
Gary need more pics..how's the pad coming?
Oh can you take a pic of your hatch area and transom?
Oh and you have a full swim platform bracket how much does that weight?..so the difference of 650# rigged is probably easy to find.

What props are you going to start with?

bicyclingdock
11-06-2020, 06:50 AM
The later Ones are much more refined you will like them. Better ignition, better map and improved oiling but there’s an oil trough behind the sleeve. It lets oil out of a hole in the sleeve puts oil between the exhaust port and top transfer port. Well when the block cracks that oil hole pumps sea water out of it instead of oil fishing tackle abu dhabi (https://www.mazuzee.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2176). I’ve never met a dealer that’s herd of this problem but that’s cause they just call Evinrude and get a new Powerhead. I end up with the broken stuff and it usually rusts out the crank which is 3.4 specific $1700 dealer cost.

Instigator
11-28-2020, 03:31 PM
It’s alive!

Splashed it today.

Main focus was to see if the motors would rip off the glass bracket I built for it.
Like many told me it would.

I put the jack plates all the way down where the props would put the most torque on the top of the bracket then lit the motors.
Did this several times then pulled it up the ramp to check the seam where the bracket mates to the transom to see if it opened up that joint.

It did not.
Yah!

Pulled it off trailer to see what’s what.
Port motor needs tuned and (I didn’t bring those tools) and was dying at idle.

Was 45* today and lake is way down for winter so is basically a narrow, short creek.
I was very limited for open water.

Focused again on bracket integrity (motors fall off I want that to happen now before wasting a winter working on the boat) and did a half dozen full throttle hole shots w/motors full down.

Pulled it back out to check joint between bracket and transom and was perfect.

So I got a couple of 40 mph passes and pulled the plug.

W/all the variables, I’ll take it!

MODVP22
11-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Hell yeah! Great news

JBS
11-28-2020, 06:06 PM
That was a good test ,nothing bad happened!
Also, that is a great color scheme.

Cary 29
11-28-2020, 06:58 PM
Good for you Gary. You have a lot to be thankful for....God bless

Dave Strong
11-28-2020, 07:07 PM
It’s alive!

Splashed it today.

Main focus was to see if the motors would rip off the glass bracket I built for it.
Like many told me it would.

I put the jack plates all the way down where the props would put the most torque on the top of the bracket then lit the motors.
Did this several times then pulled it up the ramp to check the seam where the bracket mates to the transom to see if it opened up that joint.

It did not.
Yah!

Pulled it off trailer to see what’s what.
Port motor needs tuned and (I didn’t bring those tools) and was dying at idle.

Was 45* today and lake is way down for winter so is basically a narrow, short creek.
I was very limited for open water.

Focused again on bracket integrity (motors fall off I want that to happen now before wasting a winter working on the boat) and did a half dozen full throttle hole shots w/motors full down.

Pulled it back out to check joint between bracket and transom and was perfect.

So I got a couple of 40 mph passes and pulled the plug.

W/all the variables, I’ll take it!

Ya 45° is not the best time to tune, you and the motors are cold. Never doubted the bracket, you had that.

Dave

Greg G
11-28-2020, 07:35 PM
Agree, you got it over the goal line. Now time to put her away and take a rest.

MattGreen
11-29-2020, 12:26 AM
Good job Gary ! And I'm jealous of still having a boat in the water in late November lol. Our water is a "a little solid" right now :nonod:

Matt

Instigator
11-29-2020, 08:32 AM
I really want to make a few changes and head back today but......

Matt, our water will be hard very soon.

A. Today will probably be our last, decent weather day and I just started the railings on my deck from hell.

B. My wife Cheryl let me buy myself an early Christmas present while visiting “Lake Trash”, my Coon Ass brother in Shreveport last week and it just got here.
It needs a bath and is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY more fun than anticipated ��

Bought his ‘02 Trans Am that was built by Gene Deputy of Texas Turbo fame and it is a wicked bitch!
Has Ls6/Z06 based motor w/a stroker crank, CNC heads, basically the best of everything and set up and tuned perfect!
And w/411 gears it will blow off its 275 tires from a 40 mph roll in 3rd gear!

And w/a 6 speed manual it turns 1500 R’s @ 60 in 6th gear!
Came w/a complete history in two manilla folders.
And rect’s for three sets of rear tires ��

An amazing piece.

Mr Trash went 11.70’s @ 117 in it!

Ironic that when I sold my ‘68 440 six pack Super Bee 15 yrs ago, I told all of my friends in disbelief that w/what I got for the Bee, I could buy a 10 yr old Stang, put a blue bottle in the trunk and do everything the Bee did but have power seats, AC, cruise etc, for the same money.
Other than not being a Stang, I just did it.

Instigator
11-29-2020, 08:40 AM

A. Today will probably be our last, decent weather day and I just started the railings on my deck from hell.

B. My wife Cheryl let me buy myself an early Christmas present while visiting “Lake Trash”, my Coon Ass brother in Shreveport last week and it just got here.

Bought his ‘02 Trans Am that was built by Gene Deputy of Texas Turbo fame and it is a wicked bitch!
Has Ls6/Z06 based motor w/a stroker crank, CNC heads, basically the best of everything and set up and tuned perfect!

And w/a 6 speed manual it turns 1500 R’s @ 60 in 6th gear.

An amazing piece.

MODVP22
11-29-2020, 10:43 AM

An amazing piece.

Ironic that when I sold my ‘68 440 six pack Super Bee 15 yrs ago, I told all of my friends in disbelief that w/what I got for the Bee, I could buy a 10 yr old Stang, put a blue bottle in the trunk and do everything the Bee did but have power seats, AC, cruise etc, for the same money.

#badass

keefallan
12-02-2020, 05:12 AM

An amazing piece.

It looks to me that the tread on the rear tires is significantly less than the fronts..........defective tires?;)
You still sold out.....LOL:D But you picked well to sell out for.

Instigator
12-02-2020, 07:07 AM
It still makes nervous.

The more I read about it the more im blown away by the technology!

The crank has 4 bolt mains that are also cross drilled!

All aluminum motor.

Dry sump oil system that holds 10 qts!

Butttttttttt, I dont want to work on it.

The 5.0 is a regular motor that Im comfortable with.

But, 1500 rpm in 6th w/4.10’s???
275’s on all four corners?
A gorgeous body?
Always wanted one.

BTW, found a local guy w/a hot rod 5.0 Stang and a hot rod 5.0 Fairmont!
About fell off my porch when I saw the Fairmont go by!

It looks to me that the tread on the rear tires is significantly less than the fronts..........defective tires?;)
You still sold out.....LOL:D But you picked well to sell out for.

keefallan
12-02-2020, 02:26 PM
It still makes nervous.

The more I read about it the more im blown away by the technology!

The crank has 4 bolt mains that are also cross drilled!

All aluminum motor.

Dry sump oil system that holds 10 qts!

Butttttttttt, I dont want to work on it.

The 5.0 is a regular motor that Im comfortable with.

But, 1500 rpm in 6th w/4.10’s???
275’s on all four corners?
A gorgeous body?
Always wanted one.

BTW, found a local guy w/a hot rod 5.0 Stang and a hot rod 5.0 Fairmont!
About fell off my porch when I saw the Fairmont go by!
My car makes me nervous sometimes..........nah!! But I am always aware that it will go sideways instantly, if I am not paying attention

You sound like you're torn Gary........like you want to be able to work on your car. But you dont wanna work on that one. And actually, I understand. I want to know more about that motor as well. I put an LS3/6speed combo into my bosses 72 nova. I had to swap out the oil pan, and the oil lines go thru the oil pan....I had to install a remote filter for ease of changing......all I had was 2 -an fiitings sticking out of the oil pan and I didnt know what was in and out. I was nervous to say the least. I would feel uncomfortable as well.....working on it. Its similar.......and then its not!! And until I work on them some more, I know enough on them to get in trouble. Torque values are completely different too.

I like rodded fairmonts. They are such a junker, yet everything for a mustang will bolt right up......the perfect sleeper car. The other sleeper is the LTD as well. I would also not mind rodding a t-bird. they are a sharp one as well. Not seen much either.

This the car I restored for my boss. It was torn down to the frame and painted with a white base and then shot with pearl blue clear on it. The pictures dont show it much at all. i was hoping to have a better motor picture. Still not running. I am waiting on him to get the console done. Its where I am hiding all the hookups for the digital dash(Dakota Digital).

So, you saying you still want a 5.0? so you can turn wrenches?:D

Instigator
12-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Nice Nova.

Im not nervous about driving it, im nervous about having to buy a lift to pull the motor out through the bottom if I pop it.
And the months of reading to figure out the motor.

I always wanted a TA, the Fox body was just a means to an end.
Kind of, an economical tool to go drag racing.

We’ll see how we do together next summer.

On the Fairmont, I wanted to build a Bob Glidden tribute car.
Probably my favorite NHRA driver/builder/owner of all time.

keefallan
12-02-2020, 11:47 PM
Im not nervous about driving it.........nervous about buying a lift to pull the motor....and the months of reading....

Probably my favorite NHRA driver/builder/owner of all time. AAHH, gotcha on the driving it part. Glidden was one of my favorites as well. I did not know he ran a fairmont. I got into NHRA when he was driving his t-bird.......dating myself here;). I honestly, never knew a Fairmont was pro driven...........just always knew it was a grocery getter. I had to go look @ some pics(I-net) before posting to see Bob's other cars. Never new he drove a pinto or arrow either.....good stuff.

Instigator
12-03-2020, 07:50 AM
Ah, a youngin ��

As a Chrysler fan, my favorite Bob story is when Ford wouldnt renew his contract, in about ‘1980.
They thought hed stay and work for peanuts.

He told them to pound sand and went to Chrysler!

He took a Plymouth Arrow and destroked a 340 cu in small block to like 276 cu ins (??) and won I think
all but one race that yr, and of course won the Pro Stock Championship!
Ford virtually all his career and in one yr, w/no Mopar experience did that?
All on his own.

Ford renewed his contract the next yr.

No corporate motors like today.

And could win a box like a Fairmont???

He was a bad assss!

Warren and Kurt Johnson were right behind them.
And no longer race due to the corporate/team/NHRA BS.

Thats your history lesson for the day.

AAHH, gotcha on the driving it part. Glidden was one of my favorites as well. I did not know he ran a fairmont. I got into NHRA when he was driving his t-bird.......dating myself here;). I honestly, never knew a Fairmont was pro driven...........just always knew it was a grocery getter. I had to go look @ some pics(I-net) before posting to see Bob's other cars. Never new he drove a pinto or arrow either.....good stuff.

MODVP22
12-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Nice Nova.

Im not nervous about driving it, im nervous about having to buy a lift to pull the motor out through the bottom if I pop it.
And the months of reading to figure out the motor.

I always wanted a TA, the Fox body was just a means to an end.
Kind of, an economical tool to go drag racing.

We’ll see how we do together next summer.

Probably my favorite NHRA driver/builder/owner of all time.

rev limiter ;)

mrichartz
12-03-2020, 01:14 PM
What one of these hey can find them for a couple grand hell start looking now could find one used for less.
For the amount of $$ you could spend on racing thats not to bad for the fact that makes working on it soooo much easier..hell if I had your shop I'd have one for sure!!

keefallan
12-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Ah, a youngin ��

As a Chrysler fan, my favorite Bob story is when Ford wouldnt renew his contract, in about ‘1980.
They thought hed stay and work for peanuts.

He told them to pound sand and went to Chrysler!

He took a Plymouth Arrow and destroked a 340 cu in small block to like 276 cu ins (??) and won I think
all but one race that yr, and of course won the Pro Stock Championship!
Ford virtually all his career and in one yr, w/no Mopar experience did that?
All on his own.

Ford renewed his contract the next yr.

No corporate motors like today.

And could win a box like a Fairmont???

He was a bad assss!

Warren and Kurt Johnson were right behind them.
And no longer race due to the corporate/team/NHRA BS.

Thats your history lesson for the day. If 48 is young, then yes I be, a babe. But just yesterday, I was 18:eek: buying my first 5.0. Thanks for my edumacation on Bob. I remember this........he was a down to earth man and very humble..........JOHN FORCE he wasnt!!. Thats why I rooted for him. He was not a JAck@#$. When mopar became a force a little later, I was a Daryl Alderman fan. How can you not root for a hemi pro stock car with real doors and gears to bang? :D

Btw, driving a pro stock car is on my bucket list............whether it happens or not, I dunno. But its on there.:thumbsup:

Instigator
12-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Ran it again today at a much bigger lake.

Been watching for one last weather opening and forecast was for 45* and sunny today.

They were wrong but I went anyhow.

Still having issues w/port motor dropping cylinders.

Had a 9/64” allen this time so did some tuning at the ramp and got it to idle and shift.

Once on plane it tried to hop and chine walk.
I ran the plate up/down and had little effect.

Then I decided....,to drive it like an Allison!

W/some up trim, and down tab, I lit it.
It picked up and carried the bow nicely and when it tried to chine walk, I drove it like an Allison/Hydrostream.
And it worked.

Was freezing my nads off, no kill switch, no other boats to help if i went for a swim but managed a couple of 70 mph (indicated) passes before pulling the plug.
This w/the healthy (stbd) motor turning 6200 and the port only 5200!

Normally a healthy motor wont pull a weak one that well.
Running 26” Rakers, w/both at 6200, @ 10% slip, thats 78 mph GPS.

I have a 28” LH Raker arriving tomorrow and that raises my collection to 5 sets.

Now I think ill take a break while being confident my science project worked and next summer will be fun.

Instigator
12-03-2020, 05:57 PM
All 4 pixs are properly oriented in my fkg phone!!!!!

FMP
12-03-2020, 06:10 PM
Awesome. Love running in the cold, need the sled gear on, ski goggles.
Set the phone to auto rotate and hold the phone horizontal.

mrichartz
12-03-2020, 06:11 PM
To damn cold to do that **** no way...I see snow
But nice getting there...looks really nice will look even better in warmer weather too!
And crap 5 sets I'm down to 1 well 1 and 1/2 if you count my test props lol

What other props do you have? Different sizes and different props? Yes like I said never ran anything other than choppers and cleavers so going to see what your running and how they work out..
I need to work on my collection..but would prefer to know what's with it.

Pilotryan
12-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Wow people probably thought you were insane taking the boat to the lake in the snow. Very cool read about the Trans-Am. Feel free to drop it off to me in Dallas for paint correction and ceramic coating before driving it back up North :)

Instigator
12-04-2020, 11:29 AM
Um, too late.

Wow people probably thought you were insane taking the boat to the lake in the snow. Very cool read about the Trans-Am. Feel free to drop it off to me in Dallas for paint correction and ceramic coating before driving it back up North :)

Pilotryan
12-04-2020, 06:28 PM
Love that orange! Keep her rust free!

tnelsmn
12-04-2020, 08:44 PM
Great job on the boat!! Cool car also, always liked those.

mrichartz
12-06-2020, 04:02 PM
Yea found new w 5warr for $1575 you can find used ones
Found a few and only wanted $1200 BUT have to find them around you or shipping will kill the savings.
But hey how cool it will be to have one! And make everything underneath easier..

Instigator
12-19-2020, 06:01 AM
Yep, lifts are cheap but I don’t want to give up that much shop space.

Did get some me time out in the shop and used it to correct some issues that surfaced last time out w/the Convincor.

Port primer died, but the back up squeeze bulb worked perfect.
Ends up the pump died after maybe 2 mins run time!
The good:
It came from Summit Racing who replaced it (no exchange) for free and had it the next day!

Starboard trim gauge didnt work.
Was bad sender on motor and got replaced.

Neither water pressure gauges worked and may have cleared blockage from both, at motor end.

Made a protective cover for the fuel fill hose.
Been a while since I did any glass work so figured, what the hey?

Next will be trouble shooting the port ignition.

FUJIMO
12-31-2020, 10:12 AM
...you've been asking on that "other" site, for interior recommendations. here's mine. should take the abuse of lake erie. you might not, but the boat will. lol. https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/default/files/boats/not-specified/36264/not-specified-384210.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:23 AM
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachments/magnum-marine/488670d1355276257-1978-27-magnum-starfire-mag-details-005.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:25 AM
https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/default/files/boats/2018-02/14/162173/baja-force-320-1875599.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:28 AM
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachments/classic-offshore/352882d1216854347-magnum-27-sport-sale-100_2517.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:29 AM
https://live.staticflickr.com/5116/5835181623_7fb5b064d9_b.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:30 AM
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachments/magnum-marine/503188-1978-27-magnum-starfire-image.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:32 AM
https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/default/files/boats/2018-03/28/166717/magnum-marine-28-1931171.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:47 AM
https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/default/files/boats/2018-04/08/167928/magnum-marine-28-1946055.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:51 AM
https://www.powerboatlistings.com/powerimg/m/30210/image2797.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:53 AM
https://images.boats.com/resize/1/92/53/6349253_20180212125639783_1_LARGE.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:54 AM
https://www.powerboatlistings.com/powerimg/m/16657/DSCN6496.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:57 AM
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachments/do-yourself-boating-budget/313766d1196003119-checkmate-wiring-schematic-cockpit.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:58 AM
http://boats.iboats.com/sites/checkmate/l_12311.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:58 AM
http://boats.iboats.com/sites/checkmate/l_41511.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 08:59 AM
http://boats.iboats.com/sites/checkmate/site_page_16343/images/l_checkmate-convincor-300-cockpit_seat.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 09:00 AM
https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/default/files/boats/2019-07/26/220379/checkmate-convincor-242-2590270.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 09:01 AM
https://images.boats.com/resize/1/12/59/6821259_0_270820181734_3.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 09:03 AM
http://boats.iboats.com/sites/checkmate/site_page_23663/images/l_obx-2800-front-view-lg.jpg

Instigator
01-01-2021, 09:05 AM
Thx Mo!

Trying to find cockpit shots of the classics w/wood trim, and I think some even had teak decks.

My boat has side storage bins along the sides of gunnels at floor that are currently wrapped w/carpet (matching what was on floor) and had cabin entry bulkheads that was Formica.

Current plan is to replace both w/stained n varnished Okume mahogany.

I think I’m going to cover the deck w/gray Seadek thats striped to look like planking.
They make wood grain pattern/color too but would probably be too much w/the other wood.

I want to reengineer the cabin entry to add a hatch to aid entry also but that may be delayed a while 😉

Instigator
01-01-2021, 09:06 AM
Basically identical to what I have now.

https://images.boats.com/resize/1/12/59/6821259_0_270820181734_3.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 09:28 AM
...look into what they call "landau" foam. it was originally used on landau tops on cars. it is a closed cell foam, available in a couple different thickness's, the most commonly used is 1/4" on boat interior panels in the cockpit, etc. ...glue it to the panels, then wrap & staple(s.s. staples) the vinyl covers. use NO wood in the cockpit. use pvc board. all different thicknesses available just like plyrot. the thicker the more costly, just like plyrot. its what most boat builders have been using for 20+ plus years now. can be glued, screwed & takes a staple perfectly. no rot. does'nt loose its shape over time. can be recovered by the next guy. should always be used as covered material though due to UV. its available in a few different colors, the most common being white. its available in a few different surface grades. the ruffer the surface grade, the cheaper the price. any color you can use, as its getting covered. also people think that just because its in a boat, that an interior can be hosed down all the time. false. an interior job should be treated the same as the interior in your car. covered, dryed, treated, etc.

Turborr
01-01-2021, 09:33 AM
https://images.boats.com/resize/1/92/53/6349253_20180212125639783_1_LARGE.jpg

What boat is this? I like that cockpit.

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 09:39 AM
...you buy landau foam at your local city's automotive upholstery materials wholesale house, or online...

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 09:58 AM
...1/4-20 threaded tee nuts, in stainless, is what you use to fasten cockpit interior side panels, along with the pvc board. you drill a hole in the preupholstered side panel for the tee-nut, in the strategic location thats best for your application, that has reach-around access, you hammer in a tee-nut into that drilled hole, and then thread into the backside of that tee-nut, a 1/4-20 STAINLESS stud, of the length you need to go through the boats side interior. 2 1/2 -3'' are most common. you can buy the tee-nuts at any good stainless fastener wholesale supply house, or online...https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221311558314-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Instigator
01-01-2021, 10:07 AM
Yep
Have used these for yrs.

Thats what holds the cushion on my sun lounge.
Was rotted when I bought it and had to rebuild it.

...1/4-20 threaded tee nuts, in stainless, is what you use to fasten cockpit interior side panels, along with the pvc board. you drill a hole in the preupholstered side panel for the tee-nut, in the strategic location thats best for your application, that has reach-around access, you hammer in a tee-nut into that drilled hole, and then thread into the backside of that tee-nut, a 1/4-20 STAINLESS stud, of the length you need to go through the boats side interior. 2 1/2 -3'' are most common. you can buy the tee-nuts at any good stainless fastener wholesale supply house, or online...https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221311558314-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

FUJIMO
01-01-2021, 06:43 PM
...and then, when you go to install these side panels, you don't/can't use locknut type nuts. you use a regular flat washer(or fender washer), a regular lock washer, and a regular 1/4"-20 nut. all stainless only. we always used a little 90 degree, 1/4" drive,(or 3/8" drive) air wrench with a deepwell socket...that you simply reach back there & zip down the nut with. goes fast that way & doesn't over tighten the nut.

SCT
01-01-2021, 10:56 PM
I don’t believe Special K is a CM.

Gary, I’m glad you got the boat wet! Can’t wait for a ride someday.

Was the test ride at Delaware Res? Back in the early 80s, my dad and a buddy took a CM jetboat down there one cold December day for a test ride. They were the only truck at the main ramp. They put in and idled out towards the main channel. As they were running down the main channel on the east side, dad noticed the boat was filling up w- water (hose or something). They beached the boat on the far East side before it sank......and then had to hike thru briars and snow for miles to find a road and a ride.

FUJIMO
01-02-2021, 05:34 PM
...old school for gator...https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachments/classic-offshore/522604d1398468368-post-your-oldschool-ride-025.jpg

Instigator
01-03-2021, 01:24 PM
More like this.

Dont really care for the new styling.

Just found a local place for Okume too.
Thats huge!

FUJIMO
01-07-2021, 08:22 PM
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachments/general-boating-discussion/551171d1455753961-miami-vice-season-2-scarab-changes-hands-img_183677854807732.jpeg

FUJIMO
01-07-2021, 08:24 PM
https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/default/files/boats/2017-08/07/140805/not-specified-1609935.png

Instigator
01-10-2021, 03:39 PM
**** like this is why this project ain’t done yet.

My brain starts more projects than I can finish!

Did this to my last Sonic too.

I don’t like the traditional anchor light that plugs into a socket the transom.
The socket fills w/water, corrodes and then doesn’t work.
The removable light gets lost, beat up, wet, and doesn’t work when needed.

The big one for me is the safety aspect.
On a boat that sits low at transom, high at bow, that light might might not even be visible to on coming traffic.

We spend a lot of nights at anchor and I want ALL traffic to see us.

Not quite as clean as not being there but I’m OK w/transferring from purely aesthetic to functional and safe.

Had to make a longer pole for this one then bend it to fit the form where it’s mounted.
Also had to fab the mount for windshield.

I really like how it came out.

Interesting lil tid bit is, where the lamp rests on the front deck, is a raised area that at some point in the deck molds life it used to have a socket there for the anchor light.

Ill glue down a small piece of rubber to cushion the lamp from the Lake Erie waves.

sonicss33
01-10-2021, 05:12 PM
Instead of rubber, how about using the larger prong Velcro strips like we use to hold Sunpass transponder to the windshield. It is clear and the adhesive is strong but easily removed if needed. They sell it at HD and can be cut to size.

Instigator
01-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Great idea.
I shall use it.

Thank you sir.

Instead of rubber, how about using the larger prong Velcro strips like we use to hold Sunpass transponder to the windshield. It is clear and the adhesive is strong but easily removed if needed. They sell it at HD and can be cut to size.

V-bottom
01-10-2021, 07:24 PM
The test wheel on your wall must help dialing in your engines at the ramp

MODVP22
01-10-2021, 08:30 PM
Aw man, you noticed that

tnelsmn
01-18-2021, 08:00 PM
...look into what they call "landau" foam. it was originally used on landau tops on cars. it is a closed cell foam, available in a couple different thickness's, the most commonly used is 1/4" on boat interior panels in the cockpit, etc. ...glue it to the panels, then wrap & staple(s.s. staples) the vinyl covers. use NO wood in the cockpit. use pvc board. all different thicknesses available just like plyrot. the thicker the more costly, just like plyrot. its what most boat builders have been using for 20+ plus years now. can be glued, screwed & takes a staple perfectly. no rot. does'nt loose its shape over time. can be recovered by the next guy. should always be used as covered material though due to UV. its available in a few different colors, the most common being white. its available in a few different surface grades. the ruffer the surface grade, the cheaper the price. any color you can use, as its getting covered. also people think that just because its in a boat, that an interior can be hosed down all the time. false. an interior job should be treated the same as the interior in your car. covered, dryed, treated, etc.

Something like this stuff?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-White-PVC-Panel-204496/205533723

Instigator
01-19-2021, 08:29 AM
Yep.

One of my favorite tools.

Drastically reduces tuning time on a new/unknown set up.
Especially idle and mid’s.
Will get you close on mains.

Load the jets/tools in the back of the truck and leave the boat strapped on the trailer.
Hit the ramp mid wk, mid day (no one around), back it in far enough to get the exhaust under water to put back pressure to the motor to set idle, do a pull, pull it to top of ramp, make changes, repeat.

Pull plugs to look at pistons etc.

In the Fla heat, I even set up anchor shades in the cockpit, over the motor to give shade.

FUJIMO
01-20-2021, 04:02 PM
Something like this stuff?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-White-PVC-Panel-204496/205533723
...yes. have been meaning to mention depot. was there a few days back & saw they stocked two or three different thicknesses in white. 1/2''...which is the most common for cockpit bolsters & seats, was $72.00 per sheet, which was a 4 x 8 full sheet. been meaning to post that... to add about the 1/4'' landau foam, what i neglected to mention, is that it is used to go over the top off your roughed in regular seat foam, to make the design super smooth, to accept your already sewn-up vinyl cover that you pull over & staple on the bottom. another trick that all upholsters use, is throwing a big piece of the thinest visqueen you can buy, think it was 1 milimeter, over the seat or bolster, before you try & slide the vinyl cover over the top. it will go on MUCH easier.

Instigator
01-31-2021, 09:40 AM
****ty weather here and still 2 months till boating season so I decided to pull my props from the wall and make sure the Merc props were drilled for my JohnRudes and sure enough, a couple were not.

Wanted to figure this out before testing time 😉

Been wanting to make a jig for this and finally did.
Made the job way easier and more accurate.

Measure twice, drill once 🤓

FUJIMO
01-31-2021, 03:41 PM
...man. haven't done that since the eighties. so long ago that the hubs were still made out of aluminum...:smiletest:...they drilled like butta'. if i remember, we used a one inch drill bit...and went one inch deep. then they made the hubs out of brass. a bit more crazy to drill but doable. then of coarse the removable hubs came out years after that...which you obviously don't have...

Instigator
03-18-2021, 04:22 PM
Kinda what I had in mind.

Back when “craftsmen” built our wooden boats.

Still have to build the louvered, double entry doors.

Instigator
04-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Built the doors today.

Still have to make the louvers but really like how it’s coming out.

Cary 29
04-10-2021, 06:59 PM
Looks amazing Gary. Awesome workmanship as always...

Instigator
04-11-2021, 06:51 AM
The boat that all my life, I’ve wanted to build.

I bought a Checkmate brochure on e-Bay that had the OB Convincor in but unfortunately our mail service lost it.
It reminded me though, of a discussion Mrichartz and I were having about the OB hulls (He has one) Vs the IO version.

Someone had told told him the hulls were way lighter than I though but the brochure says (I think) 2400 lbs for hull only which supports the weight of mine w/power.

The other thing was length.
He was fairly sure that the OB hull was 24’- something where the IO boat (mine) is 25’.
So I measured mine and solved that mystery too.

Mine is a full 25’ but........., the OB hulls have the splash wells cut into the rear deck which eliminates the 6” of overhang, over the transom that mine has.

Didnt catch it until measuring mine!

Cary 29
04-11-2021, 07:52 AM
That thing is going to be very fun. Accelerate like a monster. Much more than a single I/O

mrichartz
04-11-2021, 02:10 PM
F..just typed a long response to pm and questions and it just disappeared.. oh well.
Oh so it is 6 in or so longer. Have you weighted yours yet. I forget.or are you going to?
Yea mines 24'6" +-in or two. And is 25'+ to back of the original brackets on there.
So with the extra 6" no step in trans like mine engine, hatch different setup full swim bracket etc weight could be that much different...DID you ever weigh the bracket??
I dont remember.
Like I said I tore everything and anything out that was in there from cabinets to foam, seats etc why I was coming up lighter than it said in book too..those damn seats weighted 150 a piece I think..were a ton of plywood and big.
Oh yea messaged you about props but ..
I'm still looking for a lh 26 chopper to make the set just every damn time I find one $$$$ goes put the windowlime last week posted again looking and spent more on pixie(dog) at the vet surgery then I spend on my medical for years...lol priorities..dog first I can suck it up.
Yea was looking for a pair of 24s too l with the 8500 packs and compression.. figured if I could find them. Seems like everytime I find them $$$$ goes out the window..I just posted looking for them last week and when I found out about surgery for her..eh one of these days..

SCT
05-07-2021, 08:00 AM
What’s the latest progress Gator?

Instigator
05-08-2021, 06:34 AM
Michael, yes, I weighed mine.
Its a couple of pgs back.

Point is, hulls are the same.
Only the decks are different.

Shannon, pending our first decent weekend....., we’re going to spend the day/night on it at Buckeye Lake next weekend.

Have a new ship to shore, GPS, and inverter (for my morning coffee) to install/wire but won’t keep us from Buckeye.

Finished my louvered doors just need a couple more coats of varnish.

What’s the latest progress Gator?

Instigator
05-08-2021, 06:39 AM
I’m anxious to get it sorted we’ll enough to build two p.heads for it.

Can already tell it’s going to take way more set up than my Sonics did.
I’ve got a camping water jug that I’m going to fill and use for ballast in the anchor locker.

Never really worried about the kill tether in the Sonics but this one I do.
Last test session it pulled hard and that was w/the port motor down 1000 rpm ��

That thing is going to be very fun. Accelerate like a monster. Much more than a single I/O

mrichartz
05-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Man memory is..what was I...yea I remember now even remember reading it thinking how much with the swim platform weigh..

Probably only difference in hull is the step in the transom I have? Unless they changed it more from 84 to

Before I changed step up when I ran the 30 cleavers it didn't bounce etc handled a lot better than the choppers..was even faster from not having to use tabs
When I first got it I tried putting weight up there it didn't do a damn thing

Code Red
05-11-2021, 12:25 PM
I just read through this thread because I'm in the middle of a similar project and saw my boat in here from 2018! We bought the other I/O/Outboard 251 from Bill in Connecticut this February.

Started to replace the floor in it and the next thing I know I'm ripping out the rotten bulkheads in the cabin. Of course as soon as we started this project the price of plywood doubled but atleast this boat will be solid and dry now.

Putting it all back together now trying to get it ready for the Romp in June. Just got the Knees/Crossbrace glassed in and put the floor in as well. I wanted some extra reinforcement with the 30" setback bracket. This and some Aluminum angle should be plenty.

Instigator, I completely agree with you that this boat is better suited for outboards the increased storage alone is worth it in my opinion. Not to mention the ability to fine tune your setup that you get with outboards thats near impossible with the I/Os. Excited to see what numbers you can pull out of your setup! Aiming for mid 70s with ours. Keep up the good work!

Instigator
05-11-2021, 06:00 PM
Very cool!

Im no expert but I think your knees are big enough ��

Code Red
05-12-2021, 07:20 AM
Very cool!

Im no expert but I think your knees are big enough ��

Theres no such thing as big enough! Lol I wanted to brace that giant platform in there good and strong. Who knows what's gonna happen to this boat... I keep having dreams of it with triples :eek:.

Got some more glass work done last night. Hopefully will be done with fiberglass on this project by the end of the week then onto reassembly.

Apologies if this was already mentioned but what is the overall set back you're running now?

Instigator
05-13-2021, 05:32 AM
Pulled it out to get some air and check hitch height on the new Boat Tug.

Instigator
05-30-2021, 02:49 PM
Why it ain’t done yet, and as a close friend says, never will be.

On the other hand, did find new wheels for the new boat tug.
Should be here today.

keefallan
05-31-2021, 04:56 PM
Great job on the woodworking 'Gator! Really nice. :thumbsup::thumbsup:You get the two thumbs up!!! What did you use for the finish? Clearcoat? Varnish? Sikkens?

Cary 29
05-31-2021, 05:28 PM
Excellent work as usual Gary. Very nice. Class act

XstreamVking
06-02-2021, 02:33 PM
The old girls looking sweet....Come a long way....lotta work and it shows.

Instigator
06-02-2021, 06:34 PM
Not ignoring your question but keep forgetting to look when I’m in the shop.

I changed mid stream too.
Bulkheads are one thing, doors another.

I do know to get red mahogany tint I wanted, it was “gunstock” stain.

Great job on the woodworking 'Gator! Really nice. :thumbsup::thumbsup:You get the two thumbs up!!! What did you use for the finish? Clearcoat? Varnish? Sikkens?

keefallan
06-03-2021, 03:46 AM
Not ignoring your question but keep forgetting to look when I’m in the shop.

I changed mid stream too.
Bulkheads are one thing, doors another.

I do know to get red mahogany tint I wanted, it was “gunstock” stain.

No worries Gary. I was just curious. I am a very passionate woodworker...and I was just curious about the finish. I keep going back and forth with what kind of finish to use on my boat stuff. I have used all of the ones I mentioned.....except clearcoat on wood(boats). Sikkens, teak oil, spar varnish.......all been used by me, and they all fail eventually.......its just hard to keep woodworking pristine on a boat. But, where you have the wood, water wont be an issue. My wood sees water on a big basis. So, I get the privilege of re-doing my stuff every few years. I get to redo my transom cap on my crab boat because of the water. The swim platform was just completed a month ago........3 coats of spar varnish.;)

Keith

Instigator
06-03-2021, 05:45 AM
I like Sikkens and was going to use it but was already but was already filling grain w/spar varnish and Sikkens said not to overcoat other finishes.

And you’re right.
My wood will see way less harsh conditions than a real boat.
Part of why I did it.

No worries Gary. I was just curious. I am a very passionate woodworker...and I was just curious about the finish. I keep going back and forth with what kind of finish to use on my boat stuff. I have used all of the ones I mentioned.....except clearcoat on wood(boats). Sikkens, teak oil, spar varnish.......all been used by me, and they all fail eventually.......its just hard to keep woodworking pristine on a boat. But, where you have the wood, water wont be an issue. My wood sees water on a big basis. So, I get the privilege of re-doing my stuff every few years. I get to redo my transom cap on my crab boat because of the water. The swim platform was just completed a month ago........3 coats of spar varnish.;)

Keith

Instigator
06-23-2021, 06:54 AM
Finally getting back on my feet after starting a new job that thoroughly kicked my ass for the first two months.

Helm is basically done other than wiring the GPS.

Just wired nav and cabin lights and VHF.

Is to the point of being safe on local water and very close to being Lake Erie worthy.

Did some playing w/scales and weight yesterday.

Dont want to change much on weight distribution yet as I haven’t run it w/full tank yet and know it will change everything.

The water jug goes in the anchor locker and will supply a galley/sink when I build it and porta potti will go in entry of vee birth.
(Supply tank is full of water on scales.)

As you can see, pretty much out of space on helm.
Fuel gauge is bellow/forward of throttles ��

Based on the tiny bit of seat time, and seeing 70 on the meter, even w/one motor down 1200 R’s, which it no longer is, I expect this thing to be an absolute rocket!

If it runs like it should, I may blow off painting the deck this Winter and instead, build two p.heads.
What do you guys think?

Should we start a poll ��

Instigator
06-23-2021, 06:55 AM
Oh yeah, and found wheels for the new Boat Tug.

SCT
06-23-2021, 08:51 AM
Gator, I’ll be interested to hear how the Convincor rides in Erie chop compared to your Sonic. I’m sure it’s faster.

powerabout
06-23-2021, 08:51 AM
engine rebuilds and paint sound like 2 perfect winter jobs
Plus a thread on your 225HO/250 cook book, we need an engine thread to revive this site.

sonicss33
06-23-2021, 04:27 PM
Coming along nicely. Did you consider putting the 2 shift levers side by side instead of on the outside of throttles? It’s a personal preference but I liked mine close together, as it was easier to crab walk the boat when docking for me. Using only one hand. But I do have big paws. :cool:

Instigator
06-23-2021, 05:25 PM
I had that damn box apart and back together a dozen times just for that reason!

I did it the way I did it because I like keeping them separated so I don’t grab the wrong one by mistake.
But I do like your thinking and we’ll see how it plays out.
That’s a big bonus to keeping the motors down so the boat reacts around dock.

On my first 24 Sonic where I had the motors to the moon you couldn’t even spin the bow into the wind!

Second one where I left them down it reminded me how much fun it was to know how to dock a boat in a crowd :-)

Coming along nicely. Did you consider putting the 2 shift levers side by side instead of on the outside of throttles? It’s a personal preference but I liked mine close together, as it was easier to crab walk the boat when docking for me. Using only one hand. But I do have big paws. :cool:

MODVP22
06-23-2021, 08:06 PM
That’s something I would second guess over and over as long as I owned lol

Instigator
07-09-2021, 06:46 AM
This afternoon we head to the Huron boat basin for the weekend for the shakedown cruise of the project.

Keep your fingers crossed :-)

1954bmw
07-09-2021, 07:47 AM
Keep waiting for guys in orange jump suits to pile out of that van! Good luck!!!

Instigator
07-10-2021, 07:42 AM
Got up late enough last night all we made it was from the ramp across the river to the boat basin.

Good news is the weatherman was wrong and the weather is absolutely stunning!

Plus it is Huron River Fest this weekend which is their biggest event with bands in the amphitheater on the side of the marina, parades, fireworks etc.

Used to have a tunnel boat races during this event back in the 70s.

Best news of the morning was my inverter worked so we had fresh coffee on the boat this morning :-)

CUDA
07-11-2021, 02:09 PM
Looks Great Gary

300hp:cheers::leaving:

My 3.2 300XS has 250 on the cover:D

I bought 3 250XS motors a ways back,$11,000 the guy just paid his mechanic to respray the three with black Imron paint and new stickers, so why change, Tommy Dunn installed a new stroker crank and freshen up the ECU on a Chaz cut down 15" :D

CUDA
07-11-2021, 10:57 PM
https://www.screamandfly.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=490100&d=1625831164Don't tell me you bought a grey van to match boat...:D

Instigator
07-12-2021, 06:39 AM
The good:

1. Two 60+ yr old FOF’s (fat old fukrs) made it through the tiny cabin doors a zillion times w/no issue.

2. Cabin is way bigger than it looked during rigging.

3. Vee birth cushions rock! Lows of 60 both nights.
Hatches open, slight breeze....., slept like babies!

4. Inverter worked great for making coffee, charging phones and my RC boat until forgetting to turn it off and killing the “house battery”.
Its a good inverter though and sounded an alarm and shut off before totally killing battery. (Still started a motor)

5. Overall, boat did excellent as a weekender.

6. W/all the weight of weekending crap in the bow, there was zero hop, into the low 40’s which was all I could mange due to lake conditions, sick motor, and wife on board ��

7. The van rocks as the new tow pig.

The bad:

1. My to do list is now larger than when we left Friday!

2. Port motor is still unhappy. Dies around dock and this boat on one motor, in the wind, goes where wind blows it!
I adjusted carb air bleed screws at dock and cured that for the short trip back to trailer.

The Starboard is strong and waiting to be let off it’s leash.
W/two healthy motors, this thing will be a weapon!

3. Tabs aren’t good enough for Lake Erie.
We managed 40 mls to Kelley’s Island and back in 2’ - 4’ waves but at too high of speed for this boat.
Due to min mounting area on transom due to my bracket design, I had to install short rams just to have tabs.
The secret to a small boat on that lake is as slow of planing speed as possible.
Right now that’s 25 mph and needs to be 20.

Im going to add extensions to the plates themselves as an attempted cure.

4. Trailer needs more tongue weight.

Heres the view from the only dry place in the boat upon awaking to rain on Sunday.

SCT
07-12-2021, 07:09 AM
Glad you had a semi successful first outing, Gary! The boat looks awesome.

You need some Dana 1200 tabs😁........

CUDA
07-12-2021, 01:07 PM
What motor in Ford

I bought a E 150 new 1977 drove it to 360,000 miles

Then parted it out selling that 300 straight 6 always used Mobile 1 was still tight, it was like a diesel no hp just low end grunt.

It saved me from DUI's went to sleep instead of driving, motel on wheels saved money and convenient, Got a 08 Duramax 6.6 diesel with 100hp flash 2 ft high top long bed the queen of the highway gets 18 Hy

Instigator
07-29-2021, 07:29 PM
Tomorrow we head back to the big lake w/high hopes.

I swapped VRO’s (fuel pump) on the problematic port motor and went to the local pond for a test.
No improvement.

While still at the ramp, I pulled the air box w/that motor lit.
No fuel flow through carb feeding #5.
BINGO!

Dissected once home and found that needle (new from rebuild kit) sticking in its seat.
A huge discovery for what I’ve been chasing as an intermittent issue.

Also, shift interrupter in same motor was DOA and aggravating my shifting issues.

Corrected that as well and have huge positive vibes heading north tomorrow.

If the port motor now runs and shifts...., my “to do” lists get smaller instead of larger.

And, as if God is smiling on me, weather is supposed to be perfect!

Low tomorrow night forecast to be 55*.
PERFECT for sleeping on the boat!

Once again, fingers crossed.

SCT
08-08-2021, 03:36 PM
What’s the latest, Gary? Motors running better?

Instigator
08-08-2021, 07:08 PM
Nope.

Im oh and two.

Port motor is still dropping a cylinder at idle and don’t know why.
In neutral, at dock, RPM fluctuates 500.

In neutral, it’s annoying.

Underway, in/out of harbors it’s a butt puckerer.
When it drops that cylinder, you lose control and it turns to Starboard.
When that cylinder kicks in, you pick up 500 RPM, and you turn to port.

Has to be a bad electrical connection that I haven’t found or a several yr old, near zero hr power pack is bad.

Mean time, I’m playing with V-8 parts and a 2.7 looper I’m building for a customer going F-150 tunnel boat racing.

This is what happens when you build a project from e-Bay crap.

What’s the latest, Gary? Motors running better?

Instigator
11-19-2021, 08:14 PM
Replaced a power pack and something else I don’t remember on the port motor and sounded good in the shop.

Supposed to be 51* tomorrow.
Recon Ill go testing.

Instigator
11-20-2021, 10:49 AM
Actual weather today:

37* now, w/a high of 43*

25 mph wind

And overcast

As in: C O D E, CODE!

Was going to load up some wheels but now, I think not.

Now to find my snow skiing mask..

Instigator
11-20-2021, 02:42 PM
It ran, it ran, it ran!!!

Yee fkg hah.

2 yrs of work.

Still have some tuning to do to the port motor but it now breaks its wheel loose coming on plane, if you nail the throttles w/the plates up.
Never did that before.

The boat is really sensitive to the tabs and i have much learning to do.
Froze my A off today!
Tears pouring out of my eyes at speed and really though to see.

Did get a couple of chances to light it up.
W/the tabs down 50%, me struggling to see/drive, I saw 76 GPS @ 6k on stb motor and 5800 on port.
And thats w/92 gls of fuel in the boat!

It will be a rocket once dialed!

Pilotryan
11-20-2021, 06:46 PM
That is really exciting! What a moment of reckoning. I had a similar situation the other day with the tears pouring out of my eyes and the cold, but I was only going 63 mph at 5100 rpm ��… congrats man.

David
11-20-2021, 07:41 PM
I doubt Dallas in November is as bleak and cold as Ohio, but more power to you both for boating this time of year

Pilotryan
11-20-2021, 08:13 PM
“Cold” is a relative term :D

MODVP22
11-21-2021, 12:40 PM
76 with 92 gallons of fuel!? Wow! That’s roughly 590 pounds of gas. You got a hot rod on your hands again. Heck’s yeah!!!!

FMP
11-21-2021, 12:54 PM
Any colder it could need a jet up...

Instigator
12-01-2021, 07:08 PM
Going after the cabin.

Building a galley w/water, sink, adding shore power, lights etc to the cabin.

As many of you know, we stay on the boat for the weekend.
So it becomes the little things.

Brush your teeth before bed?
Again in the morning?
Coffee in the morning?

All of these things in the cabin?

For me, all of these things are mandatory.

We always make it work but sometimes it’s coffee on the dock at the shore power hook up, or back deck w/a ext cord from dock to there…., or coffee on back deck through boats inverter.

I am building it to do proper like.

I am happy to report that even at 62 for me, 65 for the Mrs, this is the **** right here.

Tow wherever you want.
Fast enough to be a screaming orgasom @ WFO.
Different no matter where you go.
A drivers boat, which is the only way for me.

This should be fun.

Instigator
12-06-2021, 03:46 PM
Work is slow so I took some time off to thrash.

MODVP22
12-06-2021, 04:26 PM
Where is Hooper’s room?

Instigator
12-06-2021, 07:15 PM
You’re looking at it.

He goes where we go.

Where is Hooper’s room?

Instigator
12-15-2021, 08:12 AM
Came out even better than I had hoped.

Need to make some more trim for around the galley but you get the idea.

I thought it would make the cabin look smaller but I think it did the opposite.

This is what a cuddy should look like.

Will install a 110v outlet in the galley for the coffee pot which now has a storage spot.

Also going to install shore power for heaters (spring/fall), blenders etc.

Greg G
12-15-2021, 08:25 AM
You really hit the ball out of the park with it. Great pictures and a ton of flexibility. Now I do have to ask, what is the "granite" counter?

Dave Strong
12-15-2021, 10:40 AM
Very nice !!!!

Dave

Instigator
12-16-2021, 08:14 AM
Formica laminate.

It’s almost directly under the main bow hatch so we can clip a fan on the opening to suck fumes of our stove that sits there for cooking.
Most marinas don’t allow grilling on the their docks.

It also butts up to the head of the vee birth so when in bed you can store your phone there, flashlight etc.

Had also been struggling w/getting enough trailer tongue weight after switch from the IO to OB’s.
Moved the boat 6” forward and got it to tow stable to 60 mph.
Moved it another 12” and got it to 80 safely.

I need that speed to tow long distances.

You really hit the ball out of the park with it. Great pictures and a ton of flexibility. Now I do have to ask, what is the "granite" counter?

SCT
12-16-2021, 07:33 PM
Looks great Gary! It will be interesting to see if you have to add weight to the nose.
Can’t wait for a ride some day!

Velocity72
12-16-2021, 08:04 PM
Wow, great job, Gary!

Instigator
12-17-2021, 08:01 AM
Thx guys!

Already working on it Shannon.

Been running it w/a full tank which the boat likes way better than empty and carry a 5 gl water jug (43 lbs) in the nose.

I enlarged the opening to the anchor locker to accept a 15 gl (129 lbs) tank that I have on order.
It will supply the sink in the galley but will remain full while underway.

So far, it’s wanted all I can give it.

The plan was to delete the Jack plates once dialed which would help but I run enough in shallow water so they’ll probably remain.

Instigator
01-01-2022, 08:37 AM
Headway…….

Finished the trim, back splash etc.

And my new water bladder finally showed up from Australia and it’s a cool pc!
Took a while to find what I wanted.
Theyre actually intended as water supply for campers in Aus.
Sized to sit on the floor in front of back seat of your SUV.
Perfect size for my application!

130 lbs, filled.

Storage under counter is plenty for coffee pot and the stove, on one side.

We’ll see if it even planes after we get done loading for the weekend!

Think Spring!

sonicss33
01-01-2022, 10:38 AM
Looks great but wouldn’t it have been easier to put headliner in before all the nice cabinetry was completed?

SCT
01-01-2022, 10:59 AM
Love the original 80s era CM ‘fun fur’ headliner!

Instigator
01-01-2022, 02:02 PM
Leave me alone!

As you know, the project has gone through stages.

At start, I had know intention of running it until complete.
A yr and a half in……, I was frustrated, burned out, etc.

Decided to get it mechanically functional, enjoy/use it, reboot, then get after the rest of it later.

I also need to “see” progress for motivation.

Shannon, the previous owner called the head liner “pussy fur”!

The entry section was loose when I bought it and was easy to remove.
And I hated it!

Now I’m kinda ok w/it???
And the remainder is still securely attached and going to be a royal PIA to remove!

I try not to look at it ��

Looks great but wouldn’t it have been easier to put headliner in before all the nice cabinetry was completed?

Instigator
04-26-2022, 06:31 PM
Spent last weekend on it at Buckeye Lake and was a 100% success!

Port motor still has a slight/intermittent surge at idle but other than that…., ran freagin perfect!

Spent much time in many of its idle areas and hrs at 600 rpm, idling in gear, hundreds of gear shifts around docks/ramp and neither motor died once!

That is huge for a boat like this, used as a real boat.
W/the bow floating so high, around dock, if there’s any wind, you have to have both motors running or you go bow down wind fast!

That was huge!

Lake was too busy to do much and enough chop that the goal was to not scare the wife.
Again.
That part was a score!

The thing is definitely a drivers boat!
Thatll teach me to mouth off.

W/the tabs mounted all the way outboard, due to the bracket, it is WAY sensitive to tab position at low speeds.
To the point that a correct setting at 30 mph, changes (drastically and fast) at 32!

Theyre mounted far enough outboard that anything above 40-ish, they are dry and have little effect.

My 15gl water tank in the anchor locker cured ALL hop, at any speed but still lets the bow air out.
Win!

I still have a ton to learn in driving it.
Ive changed so much, every time out, that it’s very fluid.

I am picking up a set of 28” Choppers Saturday and I think that makes 6 sets to try.

My next door neighbor just bought a Searay cuddy and needs practice backing a trailer so……, my cordless impact, my box of thrust washers/spacers, 30 gls of gas, 2 or 3 hrs….., I should know something.

Another cool epiphany was, the plan all along was to now build two powerheads for it and see what I have.
It dawned on me, my unfinished FrankenRude III project sits waiting ��
3.3 liter, good heads, good ports…..

And I have another complete donor 3.3 p.head.
Might be the winter project.

Here’s a Couple pixs from the weekend.
Was way cool that there was some bad ass iron there and they all were totally geeked by my science project.

Spent the night on the boat, at dock in front of a water front pub.
Coffee on board from the inverter in the morning and the Mrs enjoying the morning sun.

Man did that feel good!

MODVP22
04-26-2022, 08:23 PM
Spent last weekend on it at Buckeye Lake and was a 100% success!

Port motor still has a slight/intermittent surge at idle but other than that…., ran freagin perfect!

Spent much time in many of its idle areas and hrs at 600 rpm, idling in gear, hundreds of gear shifts around docks/ramp and neither motor died once!

That is huge for a boat like this, used as a real boat.
W/the bow floating so high, around dock, if there’s any wind, you have to have both motors running or you go bow down wind fast!

That was huge!

Lake was too busy to do much and enough chop that the goal was to not scare the wife.
Again.
That part was a score!

The thing is definitely a drivers boat!
Thatll teach me to mouth off.

W/the tabs mounted all the way outboard, due to the bracket, it is WAY sensitive to tab position at low speeds.
To the point that a correct setting at 30 mph, changes (drastically and fast) at 32!

Theyre mounted far enough outboard that anything above 40-ish, they are dry and have little effect.

My 15gl water tank in the anchor locker cured ALL hop, at any speed but still lets the bow air out.
Win!

I still have a ton to learn in driving it.
Ive changed so much, every time out, that it’s very fluid.

I am picking up a set of 28” Choppers Saturday and I think that makes 6 sets to try.

My next door neighbor just bought a Searay cuddy and needs practice backing a trailer so……, my cordless impact, my box of thrust washers/spacers, 30 gls of gas, 2 or 3 hrs….., I should know something.

Another cool epiphany was, the plan all along was to now build two powerheads for it and see what I have.
It dawned on me, my unfinished FrankenRude III project sits waiting ��
3.3 liter, good heads, good ports…..

And I have another complete donor 3.3 p.head.
Might be the winter project.

Here’s a Couple pixs from the weekend.
Was way cool that there was some bad ass iron there and they all were totally geeked by my science project.

Spent the night on the boat, at dock in front of a water front pub.
Coffee on board from the inverter in the morning and the Mrs enjoying the morning sun.

Man did that feel good!

hell yeah! That’s what I’m talking’ about

1954bmw
04-26-2022, 08:48 PM
Thot Buckeye lake was only about 3000 acres, surprised you had room to get her up on plane, look's great. How's your crackhead problem???

Instigator
04-27-2022, 05:27 AM
It’s way bigger than it looks.

If you still have your small Mate, you would have a blast w/it there.
Miles of canals to explore.

The crackhead problem took care of itself when he burned his own house down!

There's pixs on the other thread.

Thot Buckeye lake was only about 3000 acres, surprised you had room to get her up on plane, look's great. How's your crackhead problem???

Velocity72
04-27-2022, 07:56 PM
Been waiting for an update. Awesome report. That’s how it’s supposed to go. Congrats!

Instigator
04-28-2022, 06:22 AM
Thank you sir!

I am my own worst critic.
And beat myself up pretty good when a plan doesn’t go as intended.

Normally though, once I hit the finish line, and look back and realize where I started……, I’m OK w/that.

Funny too that, my first 24’ Sonic, now some 23 yrs ago, is the vision/motivation.

I bought new motors for it in ‘1999 and for the next 2+ yrs (until I started fkg w/the motors) did/had some of the best boating in my life!

Figured out how to drive the boat, trusted the motors, knew the rig VERY WELL, and was fearless w/it.

Still tons to do and learn but have proven to myself that my science project works.

Almost as amazing is how different this boat is, compared to those Sonics.
To the point I feel bad for all the OB Convincor owners I tried to help over the urs, when I ASSUMED, they ran the same/similar to my Sonics.

The Convincor being 6” narrower, of course is more sensitive to weight but man………, it is drastic.

The Sonics ram/flew how I expected.

This thing……., flys/drives like an Allison XR2002!
If you look sideways, it turns/leans!

It now has a functioning kill switch and I will be wearing a vest during prop testing ��

Another amazing little tid bit (I will post later) is how well the compression has come up on the donor motors after soaking/running w/Seafoam.
I was stunned at the last compression results.

And thanks for all the well wishes guys.
Has been a long, bumpy ride.

Been waiting for an update. Awesome report. That’s how it’s supposed to go. Congrats!

Velocity72
04-28-2022, 08:01 PM
“It now has a functioning kill switch and I will be wearing a vest during prop testing.”

You’re either getting smarter, or older…. LOL

SCT
07-03-2022, 03:20 PM
What’s the latest on the boat, Gary?

Instigator
07-17-2022, 04:10 PM
Sorry Shannon, I missed your post.

Good timing though.
Just got back from a weekend on it in the big lake and was epic!

Finally coming to terms w/it’s low speed handling and getting the motors dialed.

Its really turning into a very nice little cuddy cabin weekender.

Each time hone after a weekend on it, I have a “to do” list.
But the lists are getting shorter, easier and are mostly upgrades, not “make it run”.

Motors now start instantly, idle, shift, accelerate perfect!

Out ran a storm this morning, leaving Middle Bass.

Kinda liked the name on this Fountain.

What’s the latest on the boat, Gary?

Instigator
07-19-2022, 08:41 PM
Great part of last weekend was a reminder of how well, old, well tuned, carb’d two strokes can and did run.

Again, they still ain’t right yet but, for what I have in these things compared to the $50k it would cost me for the new miracle motors….., I’m laughin all the way to the bank.

All the mfgs had their good eras and I would say for OMC, give me a ‘93 and up, 3.0 looper and a couple grand……, I’ll be ahead, financially, of the new stuff for 20 yrs!

Add to that, I don’t see how my boat would even run w/another 200+ lbs on the transom!

Instigator
08-10-2022, 10:14 AM
Going back to that same island this weekend.

Leaving tomorrow afternoon for a long weekend.

For once the forecast is for it to be perfect!

But it is Lake Erie and as my buddy tells me all the time, all I have to do to make that lake rough is show up with my damn boat!

Work has slowed down to where I’m only on a couple of days a week so have some Gary time to piddle with the project.

Had several things to take care of but it is now enjoyable to do because in 15 minutes I can scratch something off of the list and in an hour scratch two or three items off where it used to be weeks at a time per task!

Hope to get time to tune the carbs at idle idle.

Love those plastic carburetors ��

FUJIMO
08-10-2022, 08:04 PM
https://www.screamandfly.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=499104&d=1641044185

FUJIMO
08-10-2022, 08:14 PM
...this type of thin carpet is used extensively in performance boat cabins as headliner & wall liner, linings in closets. all the pilars at airports, walls at disney, etc. have used it for a long time. looks nice. available in lots of colors is why. lowes, depot, etc. always had it in gray, black, burgundy for years. don't know if they still do. spray grade contact cement on both surfaces. let dry for 20 minutes or so. put it up...https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.c3ece9a87678a6f4ced2b466893cfdf4?rik=fPeBn0VTXa%2f6ew&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Instigator
08-10-2022, 08:30 PM
My unfinished cabin ceiling is annoying you?

My wife too!

Thats actually a good idea I hadn’t thought of.
Ive done a ton w/that carpet but not as a head liner.

Ive done several headliners w/traditional material as well.

The colors would be similar and might transition well…

Since this is my 52’ Hatteras….., humh….

...this type of thin carpet is used extensively in performance boat cabins as headliner & wall liner, linings in closets. all the pilars at airports, walls at disney, etc. have used it for a long time. looks nice. available in lots of colors is why. lowes, depot, etc. always had it in gray, black, burgundy for years. don't know if they still do. spray grade contact cement on both surfaces. let dry for 20 minutes or so. put it up...https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.c3ece9a87678a6f4ced2b466893cfdf4?rik=fPeBn0VTXa%2f6ew&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

mrichartz
08-10-2022, 08:35 PM

Thats classic i still have mine in its clean and feels good on your back.. :reddevil::D

Instigator
08-10-2022, 08:39 PM
I really like the picture of the gauges.

Most probably didn’t catch it but this was in action.

I shot it while driving just so I had a reference point of gauge settings.
This was at 25 MPH while headed for the ramp on Sunday.

The motors were very happy.

Sorry Shannon, I missed your post.

Good timing though.
Just got back from a weekend on it in the big lake and was epic!

Finally coming to terms w/it’s low speed handling and getting the motors dialed.

Its really turning into a very nice little cuddy cabin weekender.

Each time hone after a weekend on it, I have a “to do” list.
But the lists are getting shorter, easier and are mostly upgrades, not “make it run”.

Motors now start instantly, idle, shift, accelerate perfect!

Out ran a storm this morning, leaving Middle Bass.

Kinda liked the name on this Fountain.

Instigator
08-10-2022, 08:42 PM
Michael, every time I look at that missing head liner I think, I cannot believe I regret tearing it down.
But I do!

And you’re right, it is nice.

Last time I was in the cabin I wondered, how goofy would I be to try and match it!

Thats classic i still have mine in its clean and feels good on your back.. :reddevil::D

SCT
08-10-2022, 09:25 PM
CM folklore, is that the 80s style ‘fun fur’ headliner in the v berth will show ladies’ foot prints on the ceiling��.

Gary, any top end numbers so far?

mrichartz
08-11-2022, 12:03 AM
CM folklore, is that the 80s style ‘fun fur’ headliner in the v berth will show ladies’ foot prints on the ceiling��.

Yup.. and keeps back from getting chafed or raw.. Lol

Instigator
08-11-2022, 05:17 AM
No on numbers.
Best so far is a couple of short blasts while fighting for control and figuring out what it wanted.

Saw 80 on the Speedo which so far, appears to read at or bellow the GPS.
I just discovered where the GPS stores highest top speed and it read 70.5 but I can’t remember if it was installed for the 80 blast.

So far this season, everything has been about weekending on it.
As in, full, 92 gls of gas, 15 gls of water in the bow, beach chairs, etc….

I am feeling comfortable w/it in that scenario, but light, I expect to start back at zero.

W/work slowing down, I’m planning on a couple of Gary days at one of the local ponds w/a van full of wheels.
Then we’ll see.

For now, having too much fun w/it being a cabin cruiser!
Brewing a pot of coffee, on a morning after, is a special/simple pleasure.

Instigator
08-14-2022, 02:15 PM
Had another great weekend on the boat on Lake Erie!

Got to the lake late enough Thursday night that we had dinner and cocktails at our favorite restaurant by the ramp and then spent the night on the boat on the trailer.

Launched the next day and had to adjust ramp location due to challenging lake conditions.

Had a 10 mile run through 3 to 5 foot waves over to the island!

This boat is just blowing me away how well it does in rough water!

Motors down, tabs down, it was staying on the plane at 15 miles an hour!
Which is the trick on that lake and a small boat in rough water.

The Mrs. loves it and of course that is huge!
Went to Middle Bass Island and spent Friday and Saturday night on the boat there.

Took the fold up bikes on the boat for the first time and they fit perfect and work perfect!
Got up to coffee on the boat for two mornings a row!

First night at dock we were tied up beside a 46 foot sailboat and a 47 foot sea ray behind us and neither of which could believe what we were able to do in our little tiny ass boat!

Instigator
08-14-2022, 02:36 PM
Got a pretty decent video of part of the run over but can’t get it to upload.

Only bad is, still haven’t got a good chance to let er off the leash.

In all honesty, its harder to make a boat like this function as a cabin cruiser and behave in rough water than it is it make it stupid fast in flat/calm conditions.

Work has slowed down though and a couple trips to the local pond w/a van full of wheels, and tools, is coming.

Pixs ate:

Weather radar is what we ran from this morning!

Gorgeous Sail boat is a ‘1948 wood boat docked a couple docks away.

mrichartz
08-14-2022, 03:53 PM
I forget the year of yours but know it close to mine '84..
Mine w notched transom etc not bad for a 38 year old boat..and the deadrise makes it pound waves but not beat the sh** out of you..and it having just enough of but not flat pad..
You still thinking of putting a pad on it?
How much weight did you put up front?
Assume that counter etc isnt as heavy as it looks or??
And damn on plane at 15 mph... I mean never even thought about let alone tried.. lol.
Thats why i was saying can still run it even with my back but not running in the fun stuff the 4-5' at least not alot..

Instigator
08-14-2022, 06:47 PM
Counter is laminate��

15 gl water bladder in anchor locker totally changed the ride/balance.

Had to (due to bracket) mount the trim tabs all the way out towards the chine so their effect is drastic at lower speed.
Once above 40 or so, they are dry so have very little effect.

The motors are running very, very strong.
As to speeds, not sure.

Coming back today, Speedo was almost exactly 5 mph slow of GPS.
So if that difference doesn’t reverse itself on top half of speed range, then what did the 75 on the meter really mean???

Give me a wk or two and we’ll know.

mrichartz
08-18-2022, 10:47 AM
Have to figure a way to upload that video....
Yea not much room for tabs with twins..
Think you'll have no problem hitting 80 when you empty some gas and dont have a weekends stuff in it..

Got a push when i had the boat here doing some stuff and going to bring it back soon..
Really need to get it back in tbe water.... REALLY f_ing hate HOA.. boats 4-5" to high to have parked in the yard on the side behind the wall/gate. Its only 5 minutes away but having to go get it etc then supposedly only have it at the house for 24 hours.. its always 3-4 days(the few times in 2 years) luckily most if not all the neighbors dont care then half just want to know when its time to go for a ride... Lol
Just some small stuff to finish up/redo.

92 gals at least its just regular gas how bad is gas there ouch..

Dont think i ever put more than 70 gals in .. ever
Even for the weekend.. ..usually just 50 enough to race around for awhile and just enough to get back .. lol
Except the weekend trips..

Instigator
08-18-2022, 04:27 PM
We need to do one more weekend in it to burn off some fuel before I start top end testing.

last time we did the same trip we did last weekend we only burned 20 gallons so that means I’ve got 72 gallons in the tank still.

What does yours hold Michael?

The tank I took out of my IO hull only held 62 gallons and I think the outboard versions like yours were 67 but I found some variable info on that over the years.

Does yours fill from the back of the boat?
Mine did when I bought it and the seller told me he could never get it to take more than 45 gallons.

Due to the angle of how it floats it’s impossible to fill the tank up unless it’s sitting on the trailer and the keel is leveled to the ground.
I reengineered mine to fill from the front to eliminate that problem.

If I went top end testing with my 72 gallons of fuel the 28 inch wheels I have, I might write off as being too sluggish and w/a quarter of a tank a gas they may be killer wheels.

Did that w/the Sonics.
Lake Erie Wheels and local pond wheels.

Instigator
08-18-2022, 05:09 PM
Here’s the error code I get when I try to load the video.

May be that we have no internet and only have cell svc???

mrichartz
08-18-2022, 05:45 PM
Ive never put more than 70 in it..
Was told is was new/er tank when i got it said 80gal and when i measured it and did the math came up 80gal...
Yes fills at the back.. and actually thought it was really stupid because like you said and youd ever be able to fill it in the water and thought about flipping the tank and running hose up front.. but never did because almost always on the trailer and never filled it anyway.. if i was in the water and needed gas got just what i needed.. so never did flip it...but then saw you doing yours and knew it was the right idea and you were planning on long weekends for sure.... Was curious what the most i could get in it in the water but...
Yea almost always on the trailer when i put gas in it. but usually most was 50 liked to do 25-30 so i could just go out race around and get home almost empty like dont go back out for ANYTHING..had the gas gauge figured out pretty well..but Ran out once when i went to check something and forgot about it..Just outside the end of the canal not far but a long way to row luckily i got a tow..

Instigator
08-19-2022, 07:14 AM
Got the video loaded.

https://youtu.be/B40e0BAxey8

mrichartz
08-19-2022, 09:57 AM
How rough out was it? You can tell by the boat that those swells are good size.. thats when you want it empty and hammer on it! Although it was amazing how many people want go for a ride till you do that.. lol.

Instigator
08-20-2022, 06:40 AM
3’ to 5’s at 15 - 25 mph.

Remember, this is Lake Erie not the Atlantic so it’s chop, not swells.
Trying to run fast through it is like skate boarding down an escalator.

Granted, I would have been trying if the Mrs wasn’t in the boat ��

mrichartz
08-20-2022, 10:19 AM
Yea the hudson would get like that and yes chop not swells(just drooling because i want to go out typing to fast lol.)
Was definitely a better ride faster the boat will just climb up and run across but don't need to tell you.

mrichartz
08-20-2022, 10:23 AM
Oh meant to ask whats the pole attached to the windshield?

Instigator
08-21-2022, 07:47 AM
Anchor light.

The OEM version, that plugs into the transom/side deck is not high enough to be seen over the bow while underway or at anchor, from ahead.

We spent several nights at anchor off the Caribbean Club in Key Largo, one of the busiest water front bars in the Keys.
Didnt get much sleep while hearing boats pass us at all hrs of the night!

Like everything else on this project, that light is a frenkenlight built from 3 different lights, w/a slight bend, grafted together ��

Oh meant to ask whats the pole attached to the windshield?

89LASER
08-26-2022, 11:11 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231652648592?epid=1337510566&hash=item35ef92e690:g:bFAAAOSwvwdhHR-8&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoP8Bw5akTr0fkUjnbFa6bgNlXtm8%2FftKq%2FQlBuOzie0ABbFtY%2BcdkMaLDVO4xytp0CIlcol8N yc%2BoFx21K71dfE4cZU1m77JO9THRueDVhvswjWKm4i13DLhzLMOVsl7lbhwO0qCwRKGnhHL4%2F0d79bz7NxBkcCEXvudAP%2B %2BzONlV2fdCwVNOfCWLgV2uWlxQuc8uVs9OwvQaBnOeYcDRYw%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9rR1q7bYA

Here you go

Instigator
08-26-2022, 06:49 PM
Way cool.

My hybrid version works just fine so far, and looks great too.

And, I built it ��

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231652648592?epid=1337510566&hash=item35ef92e690:g:bFAAAOSwvwdhHR-8&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoP8Bw5akTr0fkUjnbFa6bgNlXtm8%2FftKq%2FQlBuOzie0ABbFtY%2BcdkMaLDVO4xytp0CIlcol8N yc%2BoFx21K71dfE4cZU1m77JO9THRueDVhvswjWKm4i13DLhzLMOVsl7lbhwO0qCwRKGnhHL4%2F0d79bz7NxBkcCEXvudAP%2B %2BzONlV2fdCwVNOfCWLgV2uWlxQuc8uVs9OwvQaBnOeYcDRYw%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9rR1q7bYA

Here you go

1954bmw
08-27-2022, 07:30 AM
Hey Gator, just a little hyjack, was talking to a Canadian boater yesterday and he was bitching about not being able to get to the US without meeting security boats pointing a 50 cal at him, claimed about 5 minutes after crossing the border, here they come. Now he was talking about Buffalo and I was just wondering if you have seen any of that, since you are up there????

Instigator
09-09-2022, 08:08 AM
Sorry I just saw this dude.

So far this season, we’ve been within a couple miles of the border but not across.

Western Basin, where we boat, there’s walleye fishermen everywhere and fish right at border.

Used to only take a phone call at a Canadian port and same back to US.

The Canadian Govt and Customs have gone completely off the rails due to Covid!
Need proof of being fully jabbed, boosted etc to get in.

Last time up we docked beside a sailor who claimed to have been/over and back but I am suspect of his story.

As, I continue to read stories of the Canadian tourism businesses complaining about losing all of the US visitors due their rules.

Pelee Island, in Canadian waters, and our favorite, has been decimated by their govt’s actions.

Have American friends w/a cottage there and for 2 yrs they weren’t allowed over to ck on it!

Funny you bring this up too as the Mrs. and I were just talking about attempting a trip over this fall but it’s late enough in the season now that it’s doubtful.

Hey Gator, just a little hyjack, was talking to a Canadian boater yesterday and he was bitching about not being able to get to the US without meeting security boats pointing a 50 cal at him, claimed about 5 minutes after crossing the border, here they come. Now he was talking about Buffalo and I was just wondering if you have seen any of that, since you are up there????

Instigator
09-09-2022, 08:12 AM
I only smoke after sex!

Instigator
09-30-2022, 07:48 PM
Trying to go testing.

Meant to go today but due to preparation normal crap……,didn’t happen but I’m close.

I am off on Monday and forecast is for the same gorgeous weather here in Ohio as it was today.

One of my final projects today in preparing was cutting the weedeater’s off of my left hand 28 inch chopper.

Completed that task today.

Instigator
10-03-2022, 04:47 PM
Made it out today.

Even w/145 lbs of water in the anchor locker, it still hops from mid speed up, or where it transition from planing to flying.

Only way I could get past the hop was to drive it like an A Bote.
As in, set the trim at 30/40, tabs down, right before it starts to hop, and nail the throttles!

And it was still a hand full.
Now it’s pulling hard, flying the bow, while I drive one handed while pulling the tabs w/the other!

I have decided to remove the Jack plates to move the C of G forward and drop 100 lbs of weight on the transom.

Problem is, due to bracket mounting height, that mandates 20” motors!

The good is, I did some more tuning on the motors and they are purring like kittens!

Best I saw today was 71 GPS w/26” Rakers.
Stb motor @ 6k and port @ 5800.

Ran compression when I got home too.

For Fla work bench motors, I am blown away.
Both are pig fat rich but after a steady dies of Seafoam, ck out numbers from start to now.

Both were previously on heavy fish botes so high load, mid rpm.
Meaning coked rings.

Both were bad enough that it was a leap of faith to buy them.
Sometimes you win though.

Here is port motor when purchased:
Keep in mind, these motors should be 95 - 105 psi.

1- 88 psi
2- 75
3- 85
4- 78
5- 75
6- 66 (!)

Today:

1- 108.5
2- 103
3- 107
4- 100.5
5- 95.5
6- 89

Stb motor when purchased:

1- 95
2- 82
3- 95
4- 84
5- 88
6- 79.5

Today:

1- 105
2- 96
3- 106
4- 99
5- 98.5
6- 92.5

And bottom 2 holes on these 3.0 liter loopers have more chamber volume = less compression.

I am blown away.

Tons of Seafoam is all I’ve done.

Instigator
03-06-2023, 08:16 AM
After taking a break to work on my MG, I am refreshed and ready to get back on the little stuff on the Convincor after struggling through project burn out.

I reversed rotation on the motors to help settle handling have decided to convert to 20” motors.

Installed a stereo too!

Ordering head liner material today to finish the cabin.

The boat came w/o the drop out hdwe for the bolsters and ordered foam to convert them to sit down, for now.
The Mrs much prefers that as well.

We do enough miles on Lake Erie that it is a totally different ride on your asss than on your feet.

On the 20” motors, they will look way better too.

25’s were fine on the wider 24’ Sonics but look like crap, from behind, on the narrower Convincor.

Doesnt even look normal w/the gear cases switched!

MODVP22
03-06-2023, 09:37 AM
They look like 30” shafts from the back lol. From the side they don’t look as tall, hmm.

Instigator
03-06-2023, 11:53 AM
Agreed Tommy.

mrichartz
03-06-2023, 11:59 AM
20s are the way to go... What handling problems are you having? Really interested in how its going to handle at higher speeds with them turning in on yours..
With mine it was definitely interesting getting on plane and hitting the gas at speed (i forget how fast but wasn't much luckily 40 50) the back end just lifted up more and snaked back and forth hard only tried a few times..bow wasn't lifting enough that once the stern lifted more i think it just plowed into the water it was 10 years ago and definitely remember that..because it was so ****ing violent its scared the hell out of the guy with me well me too literally felt like it was going to throw someone out of the boat..not sure if i could have eased into more but wasn't going to bother..mines setup different you got different props etc so. ???.. how high will the motors be up and down w the 20s? You also have alot more setback w the platform..

Instigator
03-06-2023, 02:44 PM
W/the motors full up, the prop shafts are even w/the pad.

Which means they’re approx 4” bellow the bottom in front of them.

W/my 26” Rakers it jumps on plane w/o slipping until just on plane then it rolls to starboard.
Hard!

Down tab on stb side cures that.

Basically from 0 - about 45 I run almost full down tab.
I dial in up trim and it flies the bow pretty well, even w/92 gls fuel which has pretty much been the case in all testing/running.

As the tabs are at far corners of transom, they’re out of the water anyhow.

Im still coming to terms w/pulling the tabs and flying the boat w/o them.
It pretty much flies like an Allison.

The issue comes when you back out of the gas w/the tabs up and the bow in the air.
It goes into a violent hop that will scare the baJesus out of you!
I think I was 100% vertical last time, at 50 mph!

I think the trick is to drop the tabs as you slow.

But to choreograph that you need a ton of space which I don’t have around here, w/o going to Lake Erie which is normally too rough to light it up.

Did more on the Suwannee this winter than anywhere else but then you’re dealing w/turns.

Honestly I feel like w/an hr on a long straight river I’d have it.

Basically what the boat wants at 50, changes for 52!
Ive seen 75 once, lightly loaded, right before it tried to kill me and 71/72 multiple times on short bursts but w/92 gls fuel and 15 of water in the anchor locker.

Clear as mud?

MODVP22
03-06-2023, 03:33 PM
Hmmm, you do have Jack plates….at idle you could raise them easier to hear them bark if they were shorter 20s instead of 25s:D

Instigator
03-06-2023, 03:59 PM
I run w/the plates full up unless I’m docking in the wind.

Pretty much playing w/tabs and trim only.

Played w/the plates to fight the hop but didn’t seem to matter.

Hmmm, you do have Jack plates….at idle you could raise them easier to hear them bark if they were shorter 20s instead of 25s:D

V-bottom
03-06-2023, 07:45 PM
I prefer the look of 20" mids - but the 25" are more practical if just cruising around most of the time. As soon as I came off plane or just cruising around I would just raise the engines 5" on the lifts

mrichartz
03-06-2023, 09:19 PM
Oh your motors are alot lower than mine.
mine are 2 1/2 below 2 1/2 above right in front not the pad
And you've got what 25" of setback w the platform?
Have you run it much with less than 35 gals of fuel?
You've definitely got more weight..

How much did you say yours weighted and that was dry?

Wonder why it rolls hard to starboard like that??

Yea with twins theres nowhere to put tabs so they actually do anything after getting on plane...
Damn you have to run them all the way down?!
Thats the reason i made my tabs 20" just to get more contact once it came up..and so i didn't need to drop them down as far...it definitely made a difference on how much i had to drop them and wasn't as much drag..actually checked speed etc before and after and was faster i mean same rpm and was faster.. less drag..
If that makes sense..
Sounds stupid but back when i was tweaking stuff was curious if a small tab in the middle would work at least it would have contact all the time.. i didn't have a problem with side to side..

Oh where do you have your trim switches? Was trying to find the the picture
i remember trying to use them where they put them factory and wasn't exactly easy actually just a huge pain the ass made juggling look easy... I moved them next to the throttles so i could actually use them..
Still thinking im going to move them in front of throttles.

Instigator
03-11-2023, 09:07 AM
Based on the contours at the upper corners of the transom, this limited how high I could go w/my bracket w/o narrowing it, which I did not want to do.

That put motor height right between 20’s w/no Jack places and 25’s with.

I am also close to max motor height w/o going to nose cones, which I don’t want to do.
When I go to 20” mids, I may consider building another pair of Lightnings.
BTW, cavitation burns at intakes lowers shows I’m close.

And I have been thinking similar on extending the tabs.
I even had to go to short rams due to limited install space.

Feels good to have a second wind for the project.

Was close to selling last fall.

V-bottom
03-11-2023, 10:14 AM
And I have been thinking similar on extending the tabs.
I even had to go to short rams due to limited install space.

I made my own tabs using the stock Bennett shocks and lines from the original tabs. The stock length was 12" so I formed up some new plates @ 16" long and a little narrower - I think 10" wide and it made a big difference getting out of the hole and mid range speed to keep the nose down. The rams were still able to handle the extra 4" length without any trouble.

Instigator
03-11-2023, 10:58 AM
Great input.

I looked at that at initial rig but decided to get it wet first.

I have sport tabs w/the double rams too.

I made my own tabs using the stock Bennett shocks and lines from the original tabs. The stock length was 12" so I formed up some new plates @ 16" long and a little narrower - I think 10" wide and it made a big difference getting out of the hole and mid range speed to keep the nose down. The rams were still able to handle the extra 4" length without any trouble.

V-bottom
03-11-2023, 12:15 PM
What props are you finding work best for you? Are yours spinning in or out?
My 2 sets of props were 25p 3 blade mirage and 24p bravo 1. The bravo 1 props were best for all round. The mirage were good for a few extra mph top end. I ran them spinning in.

Instigator
03-11-2023, 12:32 PM
Been spinning out, just changed to in but haven’t run it yet.

I have six sets of wheels for it but so far have stuck w/old reliable, 26 Rakers.

So far the boat has been such a handful to drive that I wouldn’t learn anything anyhow, unless it helped tame it.

And watch for a set of Bravo Ones.

Ran a set on my old 24’ Sonic and it didn’t like them.

What props are you finding work best for you? Are yours spinning in or out?
My 2 sets of props were 25p 3 blade mirage and 24p bravo 1. The bravo 1 props were best for all round. The mirage were good for a few extra mph top end. I ran them spinning in.

V-bottom
03-11-2023, 12:43 PM
Mine was a little quicker spinning out - but too sensitive and unpredictable in messy water. With the motors spinning in and using the nice capilano helm you could cruise along at 50 mph with zero effort at the wheel....dare i say it was almost boring to drive it was so easy.

Instigator
03-20-2023, 05:10 PM
Might as well get serious!

FUJIMO
04-01-2023, 09:17 PM
...the way you discribe things, it sounds like there is just plain too much weight at the rear of the boat. the motors, the brackets weight, the fuel tank towards the rear & the batteries/rigging, etc. it is what it is though, i get it. its only a 25 foot boat with a lot of hardware back there & no cabin. i would stay with outboard rotation, no matter the shaft length. with outboard rotation, the engine gearcases alignment would do better with the tow adjusted slightly outward. opposite of what is commonly thought of as proper. going with 20'' motors will help with cg a bit. good idea, only downside being more carefull in a following sea & slowing down more slowly. the only other negative on a twin vee-bottom twin or triple with a high x-demension or installed height on a bracket is that the reverse thrust slams up against the transom & works against you a bit at docking, working one motor against the other, etc. without wind working against you, its just something you have to get used to, throttle-wise & so on. prop testing & getting the right type props will do wonders for all your issues...

Instigator
04-02-2023, 07:09 AM
Thx Mo!

Much appreciated and as expected.

And as we weekend on the boat, on Lake Erie, where it’s always windy……., if we return to dock and I forget to put the motors down, I put on a **** show!

W/the way the bracket is built, w/the 20” motors down, they’ll be same as the 25’s when up.
As in, **** show.

I can always switch back.

As to the cabin, I built/added a galley and all the funk to fill it, so there is some weight up there.

I also added a 115 water bladder to the anchor locker to supply the sink.

Next move will be moving batteries from back seat to cabin.

I tried that on the test float/mock up, in static for only.

Instigator
04-12-2023, 07:02 PM
This is why we test.

Got a chance to sneak out today and went to the local pond.

Reversed rotation on the motors and took MO’s advice on gear case toe and set them to a 1/2” out.

Coming on plane, it still rolled to starboard and now that side prop breaks loose and spins!
Cant make this up.

I had what I think is a VRO pump caused fuel starvation issue on port motor and switched to what I thought was a good backup pump.
Wrong!

It set off the low oil alarm every 2 or 3 mins so….., I learned a little.

Picking up stainless sheet tomorrow to extend the tabs, will order a new VRO pump, and try it again.

Oh, and, prep and paint the 20” mids and finish the gear case conversions to the Lightnings.

Instigator
06-11-2023, 02:41 PM
Decided to see if I could make it pretty. I thought the gel on the deck was toast but was pleasantly surprised at what 10 hours of labor got me!

Not bad for a 37 yr old boat built in Ohio!

Instigator
06-11-2023, 03:10 PM
Before….

JBS
06-12-2023, 03:48 AM
Turned out great.Looks new .
Nice shop too

Instigator
12-12-2023, 08:19 AM
Well it’s winter in Ohio so time to start some projects so I don’t blow my brains out!

Have all the goodies to convert the motors to 20” mids and to Lightning gear case.

The RH CASE is ready to go, the LH is waiting on the inards out of its 25” cousin.

Cleaned up the housing yesterday and will mod the intakes next for elevated running conditions.

RH carrier is pinned, LH is next.

Decided to change the color of the motors too.
Painting in the winter of Ohio…., yay!

Greg G
12-12-2023, 08:21 AM
Nice winter project. Will be interesting to see what that does to the hull.

BLisBack!
12-15-2023, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this project Gary! Awesome work! Good job! I love it. I want to do the same to my 255 Sea Ray someday but the ol 454 just won’t quit in this one. I was thinking twin V8s but these 3.3s make so much easy power, two of those would prob be plenty.

-BL

BLisBack!
12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
And the shop is awesome too! To quote a great crew chief back in the hay-day of NASCAR, “the car is only as good as the shop it came out out of” -Jeff Hammond. Same with boats!

-BL

Instigator
12-15-2023, 09:05 PM
Bruce, the shop is different for me than a lot of guys.

I am very, very lucky and am smart enough to know it.

To those that really get it, I tell the same thing to.

My boys (hero’s) in Fla that had 1100 sq ft houses w/one car attached garages that housed moms going to work car and their project rocket was in the yard…., Fla sun, heat, humidity and they smiled every time they got the chance to work on it…., I am humbled!

And the shop is awesome too! To quote a great crew chief back in the hay-day of NASCAR, “the car is only as good as the shop it came out out of” -Jeff Hammond. Same with boats!

-BL

BLisBack!
12-15-2023, 09:11 PM
Lol!! OMG so true! Good for you man! Keep up the good work. I remember pulling a surprise visit on you down there in FL (kids in tow) in your 1100sqft “home”, with your full wall-sized, signed poster of Jimbo! Priceless! Those were the days.

-BL

Instigator
12-24-2023, 03:02 PM
Changes mid stream but still headway.

I gambled that the guts from my LH SEI gear case would work in my RH Lightning case and they would not.

So the stock 25” cases become stock 20’s but did get pinned for surfacing life.

Will order paint next wk.

Instigator
12-27-2023, 12:13 PM
Parts all rounded up and head to paint/prep.