PDA

View Full Version : Pulsare Problems

Nokomis
08-09-2001, 05:18 PM
It's great to see alot of Checkmate owners on these boards!

I've got a 95 Pulsare w/225 ProMax, TM, with a 5"setback manual CNC jackplate. With a 23" Tempest 3 blade the motor can only spin to 6100 RPM- 65mph on GPS trimmed ALL the way out. From reading posts on this board, it seems that my engine is down on power compared to most. Ive owned the boat since new, the engine is bone stock w/ about 175-200 hrs.

Any help or opinions are appreciated.

Checkmark
08-10-2001, 06:48 AM
using an over hub chopper? Also make sure your propshaft isn't to far down from the pad. If you have to much gearcase
in the water, that will slow you down. Seems strange that
a ProMax would only spin around 6k with a 23 pitch. I've read alot about the 2.5's giving less torque than the 3.0's
and therefore, not a good match for heavier V's like yours.
How is the bow lift? I would think a 26" chopper and the
right engine height, would get you into the lower 70's at
least. Maybe even a 28". That engine has a rev limiter at
6500 or 6700 I believe.

08-10-2001, 07:37 AM
You are running the lighter weight 225, most Pulare's are set up with the 3.0 225. You are going to need a lot more setback than what you have, at only 5". The 3.0 225 guys are running 10-12" setback for a great top end, you'll probably need a couple more inches than that. Trimming the motor way up causes the prop and gearcase to go thru the water at an inefficient angle. Setting the motor way back on the transom helps the motor leverage the bow up with much less trim. The Tempest is a good prop for that boat, the ones set up at a dealer by me with the 3.0 225 spin the 25" Tempest real well. Try adding a setback plate between your transom and the jack plate and see what the Promax spins that 23" to. Go back around 8" more, if your steering setup allows it. Then try playing with engine heights, then try different props.

Firestarter
08-10-2001, 09:53 AM
A friend of mine has a 2000 2100 pulsare with a 3.1 Yamaha 225, it has 12" of setback and could use some more. He also had a 1999 with the promax, it also had 12" and could use more. Keep in mind that a gearcase needs to be running flat and straight to work as designed. And that on the checkmate you need a lot of bowlift. But in order for the boat to work as designed it needs to have total lift. ie: you do not want the bow way up in the air, you want the whole boat to get up. Anyhow I found that these boats do not like excessive engine height (tremendous loss of mechanical lift when you increase motor height). With all the prop testing we have done, I agree that the tempest is a good prop for the boat, but it is a slug out of the hole and the promax does not have the cubes to move them. Both boats had the best all around performance with small hub trophy props, the 3.1 Yamaha with a 26 pitch, and the promax with a 24. These props are fantastic, they give great hole shot, excellent acceleration and mid 70's top end.

RT

Nokomis
08-10-2001, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the info. Who's a good source for the setback bracket? Thanks again.

check88
08-14-2001, 06:30 PM
cmc and t&h marine make some good set back plates.alot of guys i know have them custom made by machinist buddies but you had better know what your doing if you have someone make one up for you.i'm running an 89 starflite with 12" of setback with a light layup deck and i still could use another 2-4 inches i think.land and sea makes a setback bracket that has a bunch of different holes in it so you can play around with height and so forth.i think it's 8" so with your 5" jack plate that would give you a total of 13" of setback which should be pretty close.