PDA

View Full Version : Merc Cowls???

rookieflyer
04-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Since this is a cosmetic thing, I figure it best to post here...

I have a pair of old merc cowl sets and I want to make one set look as nice as possible. The best pair still leaves me with one that has a corner *ALMOST* chipped off, about a 1-1/2" piece, obviously from being dropped or dropped on. The piece is there and I assume it could be fixed with the right adhesive. I know better than to assume anything when it comes to boat things.

Is there a legitimate repair method for this weird plastic composite stuff, or do I need to find a new cowl? I am hoping to do a sharp sand fil & paint job....

ShorePounder
05-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Are you talking about clamshell style cowls or drop ons?

I think they're both made of the same stuff and I've seen the drop ons repaired with fiberglass.

I have a decent set of clams if'n ya need em.

ShorePounder
05-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Update: Just fixed my split and chipped T3 style cowl with PC-7 epoxy.

The T3 is a one piece drop on. It is two molded halves held together with a cloth tape. The back of mine was coming apart where the tape had split. I pulled up and cutaway the tape about an inch past where it had split. I held the two pieces of the cowl together on the outside with masking tape and a paint stick for a little strength. I then applied the epoxy pretty heavy the entire length of the rear seam of the cowl inside. The only thing I had handy for reinforcement was 2" fiberglass drywall mesh. Whaddya know, it's the perfect width and its pretty tough. I pressed it into the still wet epoxy until the stuf oozed through the holes in the mesh. I then applied a top coat of epoxy over the mesh and let it all cure overnight. Before I left it though I made sure my seams were lined up. I even folded masking tape over the bottom edge of the cowl at the seam and lightly clamped a pair of vise grips on the seam to hold it. When I came back to it the next day, I peeled all of the masking tape away that I had applied. Looks good and I'm confident it will hold up.

As for filling knicks and scratches I did that as well using the same PC-7 as I did the seam repair. I spread it just like bondo and let id cure. Came back the next day and knocked it down with sandpaper on a block( alot of fun on a flimsy cowl ;) ) I'm about ready to prep for paint. I'll let you know how that works out.