PDA

View Full Version : Any 200 XP Rude Guru's out there today?

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Just picked up a 91 200 XP Rude from a buddy.Had it out for about an hour a couple of weeks ago and it ran great.Pulled the lower unit to reseal it and then went back to the lake.It basically now won't do much more than come off of an idle.Two weeks ago it throw you out of the back of the boat when you hit it.The only thing I've noticed is that the starboard bank of cylinders is hotter than the Port side.I don't have a working alarm on it but I don't think it's overheating.Plugs are new but look normal enough.
The motor has sat for at least a year but it looks like a low hour motor.Compression was even and right where it should be.Carbs were cleaned and it has a new stator and trigger.Like I said it was running fine 2 weeks ago when we pulled it out of the water.I did change the T-stats from side to side and it made no difference on the muffs.
I din't have a manual and I'm at a lose as to where to start.Only other thing I noticed was my voltmeter spiking the odd time.
Do these motors have a "limp Mode" if they're running too hot?

I should have said that the oil pump is still hooked up and I'm still mixing until I know the pump is working.I blocked the pump off at one point but it made no difference.Thought maybe it was pumping too much.

RSWORDS
09-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Miss the water tube when you put the lower on? If you think you may have. Pull the thermostat cover and stats. Run the hose and fire off the motor. Be ready to cut it off when water come out the thermostat holes. If no water coming out you missed something.

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 09:21 AM
No it's pumping lots of water.Just wondering if one side of the block has a plugged passage.OMC's are new to me and I don't have a manual to show me the flow of the cooling system.Gonna Google it.

Not exactly sure that it is running too hot.

RSWORDS
09-23-2017, 09:27 AM
What rpm is it stopping at?

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Less than 2 k rpm's.Starts to pull slowly then just drops off.
I should've said that yesturday it did it right from leaving the dock.Never realy even had a chance to be overly hot yet.
Don't think it's a fuel issue either.Pumping the ball did nothing.

RSWORDS
09-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Hmmm that's a tough one. If it was an OH or other fault it would run fine to 2500 or so.

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies.

flabum1017
09-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Try a new set of plugs, you may have fouled them by pre-mixing and running the VRO.....over oiling......

H2OPERF
09-23-2017, 10:20 AM
If you messed with the lowerunit its probably the shift interupter switch, did u have the shift shaft out to change the o ring? you probably didn't get the proper height measurement... if it bottoms out in foreward your dropping 3 cylinders.Dave

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Try a new set of plugs, you may have fouled them by pre-mixing and running the VRO.....over oiling......
Yeah that was the last thing I tried.No difference.

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 10:53 AM
I think you could be onto something there.Can you bypass the shift interrupter just to try it.Pretty sure the shaft is adjusted properly at 21&15/16ths

RSWORDS
09-23-2017, 10:54 AM
I think you could be onto something there.Can you bypass the shift interrupter just to try it.Pretty sure the shaft is adjusted properly at 21&15/16ths

How's the idle in gear?

Yes you can bypass. Unplug it.

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 11:00 AM
That's what's throwing me off,it idles around 1100 in neutral and around 700 or so in gear.Haven't ran it enough to do any adjustments yet.

H2OPERF
09-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Its fairly hard to measure it without the trammel tool, but if you did it right check the cable adjustment it could have been wrong before from previous work and now the shifter cable is out of adjustment.. as was said above u can disable it but look at the switch and see if the cable is pulling after the shift arm stops moving activating the switch... it can be right on the border so it will idle in gear not activated and as soon as u throttle up it pulls just enough on the cable to activate the switch. Did u grease the shaft good a new o ring needs to be greased well so it shifts with out much friction on the shaft..Dave

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Yeah it had a new prop shaft put in it and resealed by a marine tech.I'm an auto tech that's more familiar with Mercs and know just enough to get in trouble.I think you hit the nail on the head though.I was having trouble getting reverse where it was measured to so I gave it one more turn out.The shaft was hitting the housing before locking into reverse.That switch is hard to see to see what is going on.

H2OPERF
09-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Yea get it right.. you don't want to have the clutch dog partially engaged and wipeout the gears under power..Dave

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Heading to the lake to try it.I'll let you know how it goes.Thanks.

CVX20SPRINT
09-23-2017, 11:40 AM
I adjusted the cable but I'm going to take tools to unplug the interrupter

RSWORDS
09-23-2017, 01:17 PM
The shift switch could have just gone bad also. They do that every so often. If the idle in gear is ok I don't think that's the issue.

CVX20SPRINT
09-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Adjusting the cable didn't do anything so I was removing the CDI unit to unhook the interrupter when I found a pinched bare wire.Did a temporary fix on that then it seemed to come around.Was a bit loaded up so I did a couple of quick passes to clean it out.Noticed it was over charging so I was heading for the dock and it just shut down.No spark so I'm thinking I blew the new CDI unit.