PDA

View Full Version : warning!newbe jet owner

thom65383
04-23-2003, 09:27 PM
warning!! newbe jetboat owner,i have a 1970 sidewinder 18 ft with a 455 olds and a berkeley pump. i bought it yesterday from somebody that never started it up and new nothing about it .
after giving the olds a good tune up changing the oil[boy was that fun] i put it in the st.johns river ran 1/2 mile up and 1/2 mile back put back on the trailer and toke my hart meds. i learned one thing do not sit on the back of the seat when taking off!!! i lov the boat and i need to know how to maintaine it. i know nothing about jet pumps. do,s anybody have a service manual for a berkeley model # 12 13 a[ the 13 looks like a j and a 3 run together] bm#6216 serial#7051990
plaese help a newbe
thom:cool:

Stv Euro
04-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Go to web and search for berkeley pumps and you will have a list come up.
You will need to keep the back of the jet full of 90w gear oil and you probably need to look on the inside of your boat at the round tube that looks like it has a top on it and pull that off and fell down to your impeller for bad dings. Have fun and don't run in very shallow water because the jet will pick up sand and small rocks and will beat the impeller to death. Also try not to run the jet out of water. I know it's hard not to do but the wear ring and pack bearings can not take the heat due to no water in the jet.

How many rpms will your 455 turn? I have one and I can compair to help you find out what impeller you have. Is the motor stock? What size carb?

Have fun man!!:D

thom65383
04-25-2003, 08:08 AM
thanx,i needed that info , looks like it is going to rain this wkend so i,ll work on it. the tack do,s not work yet,as soon as i get it fixed i,ll tell you about the r,s. i got to put on a new water pump,temp sender and clean the carb. the carb is a holley 4 b.don,t no the size yet. any more info about the pump? a service manual or a web site wounld be great.i looked it up on the web,4200 sites gave it up after the 1st 100. thanx thom

RayH
04-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Thom,
I too have a '73 Sidewinder w/455 Olds. Go to www.cpperformance.com you'll find technical info on your Berkley.
Maintenance on your jet is minimal, just keep it lubed. Any pictures of your Sidewinder???

Ray

thom65383
05-09-2003, 09:31 PM
sorry,have,t been on line latly,i found 7 coats of paint on my sidewinder,just got it sanded ,goin to paint it soon,not sure what color yet. the boss lady wants white,i want lime green so no pic yet.
there are 2 plugs on top of the pump do i put 90 oil in 1 untill it comes out of the other? goin to ck out that site thanx
thom:cool:

Stv Euro
05-09-2003, 11:43 PM
That's what you do!! Check it every time you put the boat in!!!
How many RPM's will your 455 turn?

See ya Kevin

waterslinger
09-25-2003, 07:45 PM
You said ST.Johns???? Were do you live??? JAX????