PDA

View Full Version : 2003 triton tr20 help

Robertrosen
07-15-2017, 04:52 PM
This might be a dumb question but last night was the first time I took the boat out alone. My wife always fishes with me but last night she could not make it so I went alone. Here is the problem. Once the nose dropped out of the hole, the boat wants to roll to the right even on pad. It almost feels like the boat has way too much weight on the drivers side but I have actually more weight on the pass side. I have to keep chopping the wheel to the left to keep to try to level the boat. If I turn right the boat rolls even harder. If I turn hard left the boat just levels out and never rolls left. This happens anywhere from 20mph and up. I'm running a 25 tempest plus with a 10" atlas jackplate. Kinda freakd me out running the dark. I never had a boat do this, seems like the prop is got too much bite and is rotating the boat to the right on the prop shaft. Am I missing something here? Sorry it's a 225 opti

501nmc
07-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Not sure if this helps, my brother has a hydra sport fish and ski. He re propped to pull heavy skiers and it would pull really hard to the right, so hard it wasn't fun to drive at all. You could trim it up after getting on plane and it would help but still pulled to the right.
I'm trying to setup my triton tr17 now. When I changed the jack plate setting from 3 3/4 to 3 1/4, it started pulling to the right especially on plane with full trim. It might b that without your wife's weight, it just allows your boat to sit too high and cause it to pull like that. I'm no expert though.
my boat will act different with a full tank than it does with a half tank and that's just a difference of 8-10 gallons of fuel. Less than 100 lbs.

Robertrosen
07-25-2017, 02:37 AM
Ok here is update on the problem. I have made some changes.Let me give you the setup. Drivers rear has 1 starting battery and on trollingbatttery, pass side has 2 trolling batteries and the center has the oiltank. This is how this boat was setupwhen I bought it. Front right rod locker has rain gear and life jackets. Frontleft rod locker has 20 rods. The 2 center compartments have approx 35lbs oftackle. The boat has 1/2 tank of fuel@ 25 gallons. No water in the livewells. Iam running a 25 tempest plus on a merc 225 opti hung on a 10" atlasjackplate with hydraulic steering. With this setup, once the nose drops at @18mph the boat rolls hard right to within 3" of the top of the boat capnext to the driver. If you trim it up it has no effect. If I turn the wheel tothe left in increments it will level out the boat and then begin to roll againcausing me to turn more to the left. Here is the best part. Because I have tokeep correction the roll by turning left, when I come off pad the boat willmake a hard left because of the correction. It does this at any speed and atleast at 1/2 trim. I have not taken it over 45 mph because of this. I tried adifferent prop, 24p trophy plus, it had the same results. The only thing thathas changed in the last few months is I had to buy a new trailer. It is aVenture aluminum I beam trailer with only 2 bunks the do not line up where theoriginal bunks did. Could the new trailer has put a hook in the boat?
Very frustrated and confused!

Robertrosen
07-25-2017, 02:38 AM
The boat does not pull to the right as in steering, it actually rolls to the right.

FORBESAUTO
07-25-2017, 06:56 AM
Something has to be wrong with bottom, some crazy hook or a separation in the gel or something. Lay out is standard, at most may would have to move weight around to help chine walk, but nothing like what your describing. May need to get it off trailer and inspect very good, very possible new trailer has caused a problem sence it's the only thing that's changed.

90 5.0
08-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Im guessing the trailer messed up the bottom of the boat.

I had one set up similar and it did not act like that.