PDA

View Full Version : 14' Funcat

boatn70
08-08-2001, 07:18 PM
anyone ever heard of this hull?
its a cool little tunnel, i guess they were made somewhere in new jersey.
just lookin for input on set up etc
wevw got a running 80 mariner on it now, not sure what the ratings are.
it has new single cable steering, foot throttle and kill switch.
no pics yet but will get some soon

tunnel dorc
08-10-2001, 04:24 PM
I have a 15'rec. tunnel that had an 80 hp merc but went only 42mph (gps). I'd like to see pictures of your boat. Mine goes thru rough water like a minature offshore boat, seen 4' air a few times, just always hated that eventual spearing of a swell, I learned to quickly duck and turn on bilge pumps. I'm trying to figure out what kinda power to put on my boat presently. <Dorc>

Phat Cat
08-16-2001, 01:31 PM
I love these boats!!! They were made in Newton, NJ during the mid 80's by the Funboat company and are rated for 50hp. They are 13ft in length and were raced during that same period. It's rival boat was the Bullet 130 which was a v-bottom. I purchase mine in '92 with an OMC 70hp which seemed to be the engine of choice although I saw one with a bridgeport engine on a trip to Florida (insane). Until recently I was running my engine on the transom which puts the prop centerline about 3 inches below the bottom. I now have it on a Bob's jackplate and run the centerline even with the bottom of the boat. This brought my speed up to the upper 40's. You should see similar results with your 80hp. I'm now waiting to take delivery of a new 115 Johnson that will hopefully put me in the 60's. I've never had the boat misbehave at speed and feel the hull can easily handle the extra horsepower. I'd love to see a pic of your hull as these boats are becomming a rare site. Last I heard the mold was in Florida and I recently spotted an identical looking boat for sale on Ebay, although it was not called a Funcat and the interior was very modern. I'll follow up with some pics and web sites of interest as soon as possible.

boatn70
08-16-2001, 11:13 PM
thanks phat cat,
im glad to hear of someone out there with one.
my brother and i are working on ours but moving very slow, its a secondary boat, we each have our own.
weve put in new interior and are setting it up fairly nice yet nothing too out of hand.
do you know what that boat might be worth if we go to sell it after complete, got anyone inteested?
i cant wait to run it first!
thanks
kevin

Phat Cat
08-17-2001, 02:29 PM
If you go to http://www.thesaltydog.com and do a search of 13 feet powerboats you'll find a funboats brand boat for sale. It's going for $5500 with a smaller engine than your Mariner. The hydrostream registry website has a pic and article of a funcat if you go to http://www.hydrostream.org/GuestArchive/FunCat.htm. I spoke to the author of this article and he told me his old Funcat was the best boat he ever owned (he presently has a Hydrostream) and wishes he never sold it. If you do a search in the Scream and Fly forums for Funcat you'll find a thread featuring sharkey marine. Click on the link to his website and locate a black and white photo of a race between a Bullet 130 and a Funcat. This site will also give you an idea of the potential performance and fun that can be had with these small hulls. When you get your cat on the water I think you'll agree that it's a keeper and forget any thoughts of selling. Good luck with the restoration and watch for my email containing pics of my Funcat.

boatn70
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
wow, blast from the past.....

this boat might be for sale again from what ive heard recently.

hydroo
02-18-2008, 02:27 PM
What have you heard? I have been looking for a unmolested funcat for a few years. I new one would be great.
Thanks
Hydroo

boatn70
02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
i talked to the owner last summer a bit, he mfgs hydraulic steering. i gave his contact info to someone who emailed me regarding this boat.
what do you mean unmolested? the funcat, had no interior when i got it. gel was all original but it was raced at some point, had stickers on it and couldnt ever get the gel perfect. i dont believe hes done much to it since he bought it.
i can find his email if youd like

mr_velocity
02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
I love these little boat and I'm meeting more and more people who have them. I still want to get my hands on the mold so I can build a new one using todays technology. Ours is powered by a modified short shaft Stinger.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6808/cat2go8.jpg
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/128/ffmotortp4.jpg

Jon.Bucy
02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I have one of these boats, great boats used to see high 60's to 70. They get pretty squirrely at these speeds, you can get in alot of trouble very quickly. I can give you a few pointers.

Novaplum
05-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Im almost ready to drop mine in the water for the fist time after finally rigging it up but I have a no spark problem I have to figure out.I have a older(87) 75hp merc with a short shaft and power trim bracket and looking for any prop suggestions

HPShadow
05-12-2008, 09:10 AM
they are all over hiding in nj:reddevil:

81hydrostream
05-13-2008, 07:31 AM

IF YOU SPOT ANY SEND ME A PM MY BROTHER IS LOOKING FOR ONE.

mr_velocity
05-13-2008, 09:15 AM

I'd love to get my hands on the mold and pop another one, vaccum bagged fully cored. I'd like to split one and make it 10" wider. Someone needs to find the mold.......or I'm gonna need to find another, get it all straightened up, widen it and pop a mold from it. This little cat is by far the favorite of all my boats.

mr_velocity
05-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Im almost ready to drop mine in the water for the fist time after finally rigging it up but I have a no spark problem I have to figure out.I have a older(87) 75hp merc with a short shaft and power trim bracket and looking for any prop suggestions

I run what has been referred to as a drag prop by rich at leading edge. Its a 4 blade but I run my motor very high, wan't able to get the boat to plan with a 3 blade chopper and had to climb out onto the deck with a 3 blade cleaver.

michaela
05-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Mr Velocity,
Those short shaft OMC triples did not come with factory tilt tube steering. So what engine brackets, swivel brackets are you using? Or did you drill out the original swivel bracket and add engine brackets from another motor?

Novaplum
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
I run what has been referred to as a drag prop by rich at leading edge. Its a 4 blade but I run my motor very high, wan't able to get the boat to plan with a 3 blade chopper and had to climb out onto the deck with a 3 blade cleaver.
MR VELOCITY-I would like to know even with your short shaft motor what conditions in handeling/performance did you experience with your setting your motor up higher other than basic transom height?My set up is lower than yours and I have the power trim bracket on her,Im just curious what conditions I might expect,I have a feeling Im going to be swapping a lot of props on/off till I have what Im looking for

creg
05-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Have Fun Cat 50 yamaha 42mph hydralic steering...plan yamaha 90????

mr_velocity
05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
MR VELOCITY-I would like to know even with your short shaft motor what conditions in handeling/performance did you experience with your setting your motor up higher other than basic transom height?My set up is lower than yours and I have the power trim bracket on her,Im just curious what conditions I might expect,I have a feeling Im going to be swapping a lot of props on/off till I have what Im looking for

With the motor low the boat has a tendecy to lean to the port side, some people have hooked left but I haven't....yet. I need to plan off with the motor all the way down, I also have a wedge in there to give the motor a little more negative trim, with this setup the boat has no problem getting on plan. When I jack the motor, its a hyd plate, you can feel the attitude of the boat change, the lean to the port side goes right away. I haven't experienced any blowout problems with the 4 blade prop either. The prop came from Ron Hill, it was OK. After Rich at Leading Edge got done with it, nothing short of amazing. This prop is a 19 that I spin up to 7000rpm, I also have an identical prop that is a 21 that I still need to send down to Rich.

I need to drop the motor down 1 set of holes, she's a little on the high side right now. Oh and the bungees, we love the boat in the chop, with the motor this high it destroys the bushing in the tilt ram that keeps the motor down. The bungees keep the motor tight on the trim rams. Just hope I don't hit anything.

mr_velocity
05-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Mr Velocity,
Those short shaft OMC triples did not come with factory tilt tube steering. So what engine brackets, swivel brackets are you using? Or did you drill out the original swivel bracket and add engine brackets from another motor?

You have to contact FF, he modified the parts and sent them down. I just shot them with PPG and assembled them. Not really sure which motors the parts came from.

Novaplum
05-16-2008, 07:27 PM
MR VELOCITY
Thanks for your reply,I hope to have boat in the water this week,hopefully we will be able to see what we need to do regarding the set up(trial & error)

mr_velocity
05-16-2008, 09:56 PM
MR VELOCITY
Thanks for your reply,I hope to have boat in the water this week,hopefully we will be able to see what we need to do regarding the set up(trial & error)

You're ahead of me. I'm swapping the powerhead with another FF that has more hp. I'm building a tunnel extension, the mold is done so I'll probably lay it up this weekend. Also need to pull the fuel tank, I have a perm aluminum tank, to install the extension. Also need to work the fuel system, I run an electric pump with a slosh tank with a return line to the fuel tank. Just threw everything into the boat at the end of the year, time to clean it up a bit. I'm hoping to have it in the water in 3 weeks.

I also gotta rebuild 2 transom plates and drives for the Velocity so I can get the motors in. Summer is sneaking up quick, I gotta get rolling if I'm going boating.

fastlane35
05-20-2008, 07:29 AM
post pics of the boat when done

mr_velocity
05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
post pics of the boat when done

I'll never be done :D

fastlane35
05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
lol well atlest when u get it running thier kool little boats

mr_velocity
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Here's the tunnel extension just pulled off the mold. Need to trim it up, cut a small notch for the motor and shoot it. Its made with biaxial cloth and epoxy. My first shot at vacuum bagging, only have 1 or 2 wrinkles in the volan top layer.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4571/tunnelaw3.th.jpg (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tunnelaw3.jpg)

fastlane35
05-20-2008, 08:18 PM
that sick can wait to see the finshed product

Oactivator
05-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey I've been looking for one of these for a while, anyone know of one for sale? Or a 13' or 16' fiocht cat????

Novaplum
06-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Well I Finally Got The Fun Cat In The Water For The First Ride,its Definitely A Fun Little Boat,good Thing For The Power Trim To Fine Tune The Ride,i Just Need To Get The Tach Hooked Up To See What Im Turning Over As For Prop Selections....

mr_velocity
06-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Well I Finally Got The Fun Cat In The Water For The First Ride,its Definitely A Fun Little Boat,good Thing For The Power Trim To Fine Tune The Ride,i Just Need To Get The Tach Hooked Up To See What Im Turning Over As For Prop Selections....

Geeze seems like I'm never going to be running. Almost have the tunnel extension done, need to modify it for the jack plate and paint it. Have the gas tank disconnected and ready to come out. Decided to replace all the crap Beede gauges with Autometer pro comps that I just ordered from RexMar, also have to swap the powerhead on the motor and install the electic fuel pump, filter and slosh tank.

Novaplum
06-05-2008, 04:53 AM
Geeze seems like I'm never going to be running. Almost have the tunnel extension done, need to modify it for the jack plate and paint it. Have the gas tank disconnected and ready to come out. Decided to replace all the crap Beede gauges with Autometer pro comps that I just ordered from RexMar, also have to swap the powerhead on the motor and install the electic fuel pump, filter and slosh tank.
You have to get out some more pics,Id like to see the progress.Where is gas tank location?I have tank in front but Ive heard modified tanks in rear of boat.

mr_velocity
06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
You have to get out some more pics,Id like to see the progress.Where is gas tank location?I have tank in front but Ive heard modified tanks in rear of boat.

I'll have to take some pics of my tank, its custom that fits on top of the tunnel just behind the seats. I didn't like the tank in the front, as you burn it down the balance of the boat changed too much. I put the battery up front and have the tank much closer to the cg.

This has been posted several time, here is the initial restoration of the boat. Now we're just "tuning". http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=16ywdurf.2ypdakoz&Uy=yc89or&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

fastlane35
06-06-2008, 01:32 PM
ur cat turned out sweet lookin

mr_velocity
06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
ur cat turned out sweet lookin

Thanks, gotta get moving so I can get it back into the water. Gauges came in today so we're getting close.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6808/cat2go8.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cat2go8.jpg)

fastlane35
06-06-2008, 02:16 PM
nice hopefully ill get my other boat in the water soon

Novaplum
06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Mr Velocity let me know when its done well have to plan a mini boat rally so we can take some of the toys out to play.:)
16' Baja-150 XR2
13' Funcat-75Merc
13'Win Race-25Merc
12'Mini Hawk-35Merc

fastlane35
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
whoaaaa mini boat rally

Laurence Troiano
06-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I may new to the site, but just saw a funcat 1986 (in NJ) posted on ebay and looking forward to anyone building a new version. I am in Florida and looking for the right little boat and this model may be it, so if anyone knows of a new version of the funcat 13'-15' let me know. Thanks

Adam Younger
06-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Really interesting thread - and the Funcat looks great. Sometimes you can have more fun in a small boat - not all about length and horsepower.

Anyway - would be interested in speeds / power achieved.

I'm just about to take-off a hull mould of a 13'6" cat in the UK. A good little project and then to get onto the deck - which might take a while as it has to fit in around other work!

FrenchPhil
06-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Cool Adam, not sure the CE HP will go very far though - 30,40?

Adam Younger
06-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Phil - could be a bit of a problem with selling - but will be ok for me to put more horsepower on as an experimental boat! Have had a few enquiries for it from abroad and also about racing them - so maybe some mileage in them - although I will be looking to sell off the moulds once I have built the first boat.

Actually really looking forward to it and the deck should be fun to do.

nsmvi
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
hpshadow
do you have a 13 foot bullet for sale
thanks shawn

chrisr
04-01-2011, 03:45 PM
hpshadow
do you have a 13 foot bullet for sale
thanks shawn

shawn, im thinkin about selling one or both... p.m. me

Mr. Demeanor
04-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Love the paint on that little cat. Makes me want to do something more with mine.

Mr. Demeanor
04-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Here you go...my spine hurts just watching it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YihvFBs28MM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

40hpmariner
04-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Here you go...my spine hurts just watching it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YihvFBs28MM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oh man thats cool :cheers:

rob@sportsmancenter
04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Man that is awesome!!!!!!!! But like Mr. Demeanor said just watching that I need a heating pad and a couple IB Profen.hahaha

FlatSleek
04-26-2011, 10:43 AM
I need to find a motor for the F-12. as someone said previously the little boats are a blast, sometimes more fun than the bigger boats

Mr. Demeanor
04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I need to find a motor for the F-12. as someone said previously the little boats are a blast, sometimes more fun than the bigger boats

Im still think a hopped up Yamaha 90 would be perfect. The next step up is like mine and weighs about 100 pounds more. Mine is fast but thats it. Fascats Biel with a 90 Yamaha seems to handle/fly much nicer. Just depends on what you want to do with it.

FlatSleek
04-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Im still think a hopped up Yamaha 90 would be perfect. The next step up is like mine and weighs about 100 pounds more. Mine is fast but thats it. Fascats Biel with a 90 Yamaha seems to handle/fly much nicer. Just depends on what you want to do with it.

I think you're right Chris. There's one up in N.H. that I've been considering, it's sweet but a little more than I'd like to spend right now, the balance would be much better with a light motor for sure and I dont think I will really want to go much faster in a 12 foot,350 lb cat boat than the hopped up 90 with the right set up will push it anyway:eek: with too much weight on the transome it probably wont release the air out of the tunnel and just handle like crap while not going much faster on top end than the 90 will? I need to get it done before the fall Suwannee run so you have some competition:D I just might have to make a call to N.H. this evening:thumbsup:

Mr. Demeanor
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
See if Jason Johnson has anything.

95searay220
05-17-2011, 07:32 PM
I just bought a 10' Innovator with a 25 Merc, It is painted up like the Popeye's Chicken Offshore Boat,just got it running tonight, can't wait to try it out.

progression22
01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
i didn't want to say anything yet but I have the molds for a few months now, I will be building one in the next few weeks. Ill keep u posted

Twisted Liquid
09-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Just an FYI for those that may be interested...

We recently purchased the original Fun Cat molds from Fun Marine in Florida. I personally flew to Florida, met with Larry Wirtzberger, and loaded up the molds before driving them back to our shop in Lake Havasu City. These are the real deal.

We're prepping the mold and will be laying one up in the very near future. Still trying to settle on a graphics design.

We will be offering these boats from bare hull to turn key. Now being built as the TLM Tsunami, this makes the 5th mini boat model in our lineup.

We are excited to bring this historic mini cat back to life!

progression22
09-19-2013, 07:22 PM
They are a pain in the ass to build, I have the same exact molds and I have one done just waiting for a motor. I wanna build one more and gonna change up a few things, then remake the molds. did u wheel them out yet?

Twisted Liquid
09-20-2013, 08:30 AM
They are a pain in the ass to build, I have the same exact molds and I have one done just waiting for a motor. I wanna build one more and gonna change up a few things, then remake the molds. did u wheel them out yet?

They're waxed and ready to go. Just trying to decide on colors and scheme.

We've got the building part down pat. I'm definitely not fond of rigging our little boats - not much room under the dash!

Here's some of our previous work:

283611 283612 283613 283614 283616

Mini15
10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
anyone interested in buying a 1986 13' mini hawk? currently has a 40hp johnson on it.

skaterx
10-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Still have 1 of the motors i had on my Funcat. Bought Funcat brand new from Larry in 1985. This motor was put on early 90's

Twisted Liquid
10-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Still have 1 of the motors i had on my Funcat. Bought Funcat brand new from Larry in 1985. This motor was put on early 90's

:cheers:

Jon.Bucy
09-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Almost done...354304

Jon.Bucy
09-03-2016, 02:17 PM

Jon.Bucy
09-03-2016, 02:19 PM

Jon.Bucy
09-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Jon.Bucy
09-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Thank you Twisted Liquid for bringing these back to life.
Thanks to my brother Stephen and Happy for this amazing restoration.

at100plus
09-09-2016, 08:18 PM

Did you race that on the Raritan back in the mid 90s? I have a video of a Funcat with a 135 there.

at100plus
09-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Did anyone ever build any? I always wanted one.

Jon.Bucy
09-09-2016, 09:52 PM
If what you mean is anyone building these anymore...
http://twistedliquidmarine.com/tlm/

Jon.Bucy
09-09-2016, 10:06 PM

phillnjack
09-24-2016, 05:52 PM
very nice little boat, should go well with the Yamaha.