PDA

View Full Version : Another project's comin' home from the bodyshop.........

Raceman
04-22-2003, 10:57 AM
My little XXX, she's really doin' fine............ 3 deuces and a four speed and a 389............. listen to her revin' up now, listen to her whine................ come on an turn it on, wind it up, blow it out XXX.

Pictures later today.

Capt.Insane-o
04-22-2003, 11:52 AM
i have a 64 convertable. The original motor looks like T rex got a hold of it, but 7 years later I acquired all the parts for a 421 s/d. Called up Jimmy Butler and he hooked up to the tune of 525 hp. Nash 5 speed. More of a restified car, but the body and chrome are all perfect. 4 wheel discs, 9 inch rear. Had it to the strip last year a couple times and turned tractionless mid 12's. I'm going cruizin' sunday and will get some pics. Just finished a 55 chevy 408 small block and a 57 with a 427. I am reeeeeeely looking for a cherry 62-63 cataliner convertable. Can't wait to see pics. If I can afford all the 110 octane mine might be at the Rumble.:cool:

H2Onut
04-22-2003, 11:56 AM
My 409

ShorePounder
04-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Jeez, you're a goat herder too? :rolleyes: :D

Capt.Insane-o
04-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Were the coolest cars built, ever.

Raceman
04-22-2003, 04:01 PM
This is when I started with the pictures. I wish I'd taken some sooner when it was completely naked.

Raceman
04-22-2003, 04:03 PM
What appears to be blemishes in this picture are actually reflections from stuff in the adjoining bay.

A couple more days at the body shop for sanding/buffing, then off to the top shop and we're gonna start puttin' this sucker together.

Raceman
04-22-2003, 04:14 PM
This is the only Poncho I've got now, besides an old '63 Lemans project that I'll probably never get around to. I bought it with the intention of building an Arnie Beswick look alike, but it's WAY down the list of priorities. The only other Pontiac I'd really like to have is a 62 Gran Prix. (assuming that I don't run across a deal on a swiss cheese Catalina which doesn't seem likely)

Jason Huber
04-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Mickey Thompson's silver one went for high $120's a few yrs back!:eek: Saw what looked like a pretty good clone of it for sale on Cars On Line for 20-something. Here's something you might like Norris! http://www.1963pontiac.com/ OR check THIS out! http://www.jimwangers.com/ Got a bunch of cool Ace Wilson / Royal Pontiac stuff here... :cool:

MODVP22
04-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Raceman,
Is that the car I seen in your new office building, next to the white van and convertible Vette? I bet it's a relief to watch anohter come together in a finished product:)

Raceman
04-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Tom, the car next to the Van and 62 Corvette is a 67 Nova. I'm not startin' it yet until some of this other junk is farther along. The Nova's gettin' a 540 and a 6 speed, but I haven't found a 6 speed yet without shellin' out 25 hun for a new one.

How's the Mirage project coming?

MODVP22
04-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Raceman,
Wellt he Mirage project is..well it's going to be way more involved than we planned, but we'll get it done:) What kind of 6-speed are you looking for exactly? A friend of the family here runs a transmission shop and he's got some of the wildest trick stuff to ever hit the street, and I know he's got a 6-speed out of a Camaro that was a test unit from the Timken company for bearing testing.

sho305
04-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Wow, just had a guy ask me to look at a car tonight he wants to buy. Is a '80 Malibu! Yep, the two door *square* one. Was in pretty good shape except for a dent in the door he said his kid backed into it. Hardly any rust underneath and great interior. Paint looked like a laquer job that needed a buff. Had a 305 that was popping thru the carb a little...cam I think or valve. Started good, no smoke. Nice alloys on it and new tires. Good driver and he wanted $3500 OBO. I have no clue what they are worth, but the guy said 3-6k for a nice one. I think it had 80k miles on it. I told him take a grand plus off for the door and motor and make an offer. I used my stethoscope and it sounded nice and quiet inside the motor. Had chrome kit, headers and duals, quadro, performer intake, and he said a new holeshot converter. Don't see too many of those around here no more.

Raceman
04-29-2003, 06:32 AM
Tom, I think I've pretty well decided on a T56 from a Viper. There's a specialty shop that's had an article in one of the car books for the last couple of months that changes the input shaft and makes em a dead bolt in to any Chevy bellhousing using a stock clutch and mechanical linkage. The advantage to the Viper unit over the Z28 stuff is that it's got some upgrades that make it have a 50 ft lb higher torque rating. There unit also has a different tailhousing that stock that uses a mechanical speedo hookup instead of the electrical stuff and somehow moves the shifter 2 1/2" foward, which is nice in older cars. I also like the .5 overdrive as opposed to the .6 +'s in some of the others.

The downside is, they're pricey......... about 2500, for a brand new unit, plus freight. Everybody else's is around 2 grand and require modification or special parts to use in an older car, so the price probably washes.

MODVP22
04-29-2003, 07:47 AM
Sounds good. Keep us posted

Forkin' Crazy
04-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Raceman
This is when I started with the pictures. I wish I'd taken some sooner when it was completely naked.

You mean like this?:eek:

Raceman
04-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Yeah, like that. I wish you'd hurry up and get through with that car so I can take it off your hands. How 'bout some of the latest pictures????????

Raceman
05-01-2003, 11:55 AM
I just can't catch a break. It's like a damn curse. I ordered a set of repro Rally 1 wheels, centers, rings, lugs, etc, with redlines for the GTO. I took em up to the bodyshop this morning after they came in, and the guys that shipped em sent 4 of everything in the set, including lug nuts.................. not 4 sets, just 4. So I'm standing their bitchin' to myself about the lugs and waitin' another day to put the wheels on and all of a sudden something catches my eye on the decklid............. three extra holes. What the hell is that? The car's been blocked to death and in the final buff section of the shop.

Evidently the car originally had one of those metal dealer emblems installed on the left side of the trunk lid. It was already removed when i got it along with all the other emblems and nobody noticed the extra holes since the car's full of emblem holes anyway.

Now it's gotta go back to the body repair end of the shop, back to the paint shop, back to the block sand area and sit for another couple weeks before final sand and buff. Oh well, at least it's several more weeks of free storage.

sho305
05-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Thank Gawd for stickey tape! When I was at the bodyshop we removed all the emblems on countless cars for a cleaner look. I hated the dealers that had stickers of all seperate letters, you had to peel each one off.

Maybe you should have some emblems made that say "Raceman" for your toys....:D

AnthonySS
05-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Aside from EL Camino SS's the 65-67 GOATS are my fav...especially the Rag tops... I'd settle for a 67 with just a 400 4Barr...but the Tri-power is sweet too!!

very cool....keep us posted

Talon2.5
05-02-2003, 04:27 AM
heres my old 66 pontiac tempest, had alot of fun in this car, got a hell of alot of tickets with it too :eek:

it does have a rear side window hehehe just the bright sun and old camera problem i guess :(

sho305
05-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Couple of my old rides. Mustang was after I painted it, T/A before. Not found the after pics for the T/A yet.

Capt.Insane-o
05-02-2003, 05:13 PM
My all time favorite cars.

Fish
05-02-2003, 08:10 PM
very cool!!! keep the pics coming.

Raceman
05-03-2003, 05:10 AM
What a difference wheels and tires make:

Raceman
05-03-2003, 05:13 AM
A little more detail:

Talon2.5
05-05-2003, 12:51 PM
sweet!! looking good! :D

Raceman
05-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Skip, I've got another one started that I'm not quite ready to post any pics of yet, but I think it might bring back a memory or 2. It ain't got a rolled front pan, and it ain't blue, but you might find it vaguely familiar.