PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Procraft 1650v with 115 Johnson V4 - need more speed! help!

Cameronprocraft
05-16-2017, 07:38 PM
I have a Procraft 1650 bass boat with Johnson 115. I am running a 21 pitch 12.75 dia aluminum prop (what came on it), no jackplate. My hole shot is awesome, boat planes off almost immediately. I weigh 210 and I usually carry my son that ways 135. We don't have a ton of tackle, 8 rods, tackle bag, 2 batteries, 12 gals of fuel average, small cooler bag. I am averaging 41 to 43 mph (GPS) WOT at 5400-5500 RPM. I feel like I should be getting more speed...??? I have read about boats that are 17ft running in the 50s with a 115 (I know every boat is different). What could I do to increase speed? Jackplate? SS prop? Different prop pitch? I can afford to lose a little hole shot, again because its really good. Thanks for your help !

W2F a V-King
05-16-2017, 09:58 PM
I'm not familiar with OMC motors, but feel like if you were to raise the motor a few inches would help. If your mounted all the way down on the transom, your dragging your foot so to speak.

A 12.75 diameter prop sounds to small to me, but am not familiar with the OMC's.

I have a 1985 ProCraft 1750 with a Mariner Magnum 150, running a few inches up off the transom, no setback and a 24 x 14 small ear chopper, and get 58 out of mine @ about 6200 rpm.

I believe a chopper prop would help you as well, getting some bow lift to get a smaller wet area. Most bass rigs need the bow lift, and a chopper is an easy way to get some. And choppers are designed to run surfaced, so raising the motor will be necessary with the chopper to get it to perform.

A water pressure and water temp gauge is a good idea, especially if you plan to raise the motor up.

OR...step up to a V6 motor...:thumbsup:

Cameronprocraft
05-16-2017, 10:30 PM
my 115 is mounted on the second from the top. I could move it up. I have been thinking about getting a jackplate. But I wanted opinions first. If I can get it to run on the pad with a different prop and maybe get a few mph I would be happy. As of now it doesnt get all the way up on pad before the prop blows out and I have to trim it back down. I can tell it isn't on pad because water still sprays out the side when running WOT.

One Oldman
05-17-2017, 07:22 AM
I ran one back in the day with a 140 Johnson and a 19 stainless prop. Best I ever got was around 55mph unloaded.

Flex
05-17-2017, 08:00 AM
You're almost there. Raising motor a bit may give you a little more rpm and speed. But not much. RPM that low if you go to a higher pitch prop you may not have enough power to turn it. It is an 80's boat, may be carrying wet foam..

I have been through a bunch of old ski boats, and almost everyone from 80's-mid 90's is carrying wet foam. Could be 50lbs, could be 300lbs. Don't know until you look at it.

Cameronprocraft
05-17-2017, 08:19 AM
what do you mean by wet foam?

Flex
05-17-2017, 08:27 AM
what do you mean by wet foam?

Boats have foam underneath the decks and floor for flotation in case you dunk it. As time passes and drainage holes in the boat get clogged up with debris the foam loses the ability to repel water and becomes water logged. Adds a ton of weight to your boat, which makes you sit lower in the water, and slows you down, as well as the safety factor that it will no longer float you. More chance than not your rig has waterlogged foam.

The easiest way to tell is to just remove whatever the easiest piece of deck or floor you can get to, and poke into the foam. If its not waterlogged it will be hard and dry. You can stuff a pry bar a few inches deep and then insert finger to check. Can also cut off a chunk and throw it in a bucket of water to see if it absorbs any water like a sponge.

Cameronprocraft
05-17-2017, 08:37 AM
I will check that out.