PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Honda BF9.9A 4 stroke.....Need Help.....No Spark

mymotor
03-29-2017, 08:16 PM
So i know this is not a high performance engine, but i am needing some help with it. I currently have no spark. Was running fine last year when i put it away. Got out this year and nothing. Changed plugs, checked all connections, cleaned everything and nothing. I found a wiring diagram and metered the cut off switch and it is working correctly so i feel that i have covered the basics. I also pinned checked the entire harness to ensure no breaks anywhere.

I cannot find a downloadable manual online. Need to know how to check the ignition coil, exciter coil, CDI box and pulser coil to determine which part is bad? If anyone has a manual or can just give me some guidance on how to find the bad part that would be great? I am at a loss and need to get my jon boat going for the year.

Thanks in advance for the help.

mn808gade
03-30-2017, 11:55 PM
disconnect wire from kill switch first ,then wire to oil switch-th

mymotor
03-31-2017, 08:51 PM
So i disconnected the wires and still nothing. Was playing around with the CDI box while pulling over looking for spark and to my surprise it started sparking. The wires and connecters going to CDI look fine. I cleaned them and applied some grease. Got it to start, but won't staying running for very long at all. Don't know if it is fuel or spark cutting it off. It does not start right back up and primer bulb is still hard. I can drain bottom of carb bowl and it is full of fuel. I only use non ethanol fuel so i know that it is not gummed up. I need to find a way to check spark while running and see if it goes away or stays when it dies.

mn808gade
04-01-2017, 01:04 AM
a neon test lite from auto store allows you to see the lite.would like to see inside carb,clean pilot jet.clean grounds again till sparks strong.