PDA

View Full Version : dura-tech

Quick Rick
04-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi all, anyone tried duratech cut 1 to 1 with gel coat? how did it work out? is it o.k. below the water line? thanks

TTriton
04-16-2003, 06:54 PM
I have used it many times and never had a problem. Makes the gel coat really come out nice looking.. Really close to the gloss you can get from paint. You can see some pics of my work with duratech you can see them here.

http://216.89.228.164/mine/Copy%20of%20rebuilding%20poseidon%20two/rigging/index.htm

You can see the gloss in the gel coat in these pics.. I have not waxed or buffed anything yet. This is as is after being sprayed.

Quick Rick
04-17-2003, 05:18 AM
thanks for the input Lee, your pics. look great. have you ever seen it used below the waterline? i would like to spray the entire bottom of mine. thanks Rick

TTriton
04-17-2003, 07:31 AM
actually I have never used it below the water line but I would think that it would be fine. have you checked there web site? I have been on it before and I know that it had tons of info o give there tech dept a call.

B.Mac
05-06-2003, 05:13 AM
That stuff is great!! Saved my hiney on my first gelcoat job!! Reduces sanding to a bare minimum.......
Dura-tek is simply an additive to reduce and give gelcoat better "flow" characteristics.........makes gelcoat go on almost like enamal paint.......nice and uniform......lays out nice......very little sanding required. See my application............
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24188&perpage=15&pagenumber=20
Good Luck
B.MAC:D

Quick Rick
05-06-2003, 05:26 AM
have you ever heard or used it below the water line. if it would work, that would save some really ugly work! thanks

B.Mac
05-06-2003, 05:33 AM
If it doesn't........I'm in big trouble.
I want to say no problem, but I advise you to check thier website and/ or tech spec sheet.
The biggest issue, as with any gelcoat application is bonding to the original gelcoat. Since you cannot achieve an optimal chemical bond due to the curing of the original gel, you had better make sure you scratch the snot outta the original gelcoat in order to achieve optimal mechanical bonding.
Particularly on the running surfaces.......
B.MAC:D

RRRevinrude
05-09-2003, 10:32 PM
above or below the waterline is fine.............great product...........

sho305
05-09-2003, 10:46 PM
If I go gel on a hull, I'll be getting this stuff!

Racemore
05-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Duratec is the ****! I have used it on a total restore from top to bottom several times,spotting in repairs many times and mixed it with Finishing resin to reclear metalflake.They make several different products for repiars like osmosis blistering etc.The best part is the easy sanding and no wax.It's harder than straight gelcoat also.I love it.:cool: