PDA

View Full Version : A Destroyed Allison

Raptor
08-06-2001, 08:40 PM
Rick Nard from Louisiana destroyed his Allison last week. This is what is left of his boat.

http://www.byuboyz.com/rick.htm

Kevin from FLŪ
08-06-2001, 08:56 PM
<a href="http://www.byuboyz.com/ricky.htm" target="_blank">Ricks boat</a>

Scott Gilmore
08-06-2001, 09:46 PM
Sounds like the driver's OK. What the hell happened ?? Scott

laser
08-06-2001, 09:49 PM
Glad to hear he's alive. What happened?

T-REX
08-07-2001, 06:57 AM
Ricky and Donald were going fishing when they passed a crew boat(or work boat) at about 83mph, opon crossing the first wave pitched the tail of the boat up and entered the water nose first(from looking at the boat, on the port side)...the boat buckeled right behind the drivers seat...Donald was behind Ricky as a passenger and said they hit the first wave and the next thing he relized that he wuz swimming to the bank!!! Ricky iz still in the hospitol with broken ribs and internal bleeding...Water iz solid like a rock, this boat looks like it hit a brick wall @ 100mph...Ricky and Donald are really lucky to be alive...REX

Scott
08-07-2001, 12:52 PM
Sad to see a beautiful boat destroyed, even worse to hear of a fellow boater hurt. Get well soon Rick, glad you both survived with only injuries.

Scary thing is that I keep seeing this same type of accident, rear end comming up, and don't know or see any way to avoid this, other than going sssllloooowww all the time.

Bobalouie
08-07-2001, 02:04 PM
What causes the stearn to pitch up in the air and stuff the bow? I thought that boats generally landed stearn 1st cause the motor/batteries/etc is generally in the rear.

Bob

Techno
08-07-2001, 03:20 PM
I don't know the stern coming up but the same affect is dropping power or going too slow in certain size waves. The bow goes down until it gets flotation. It might end up too low and cut the wave or just stuff. The stern may be heavier but the bow lost support first so it falls first.
The other is launching off a wave and the bow is high but comes down hard, and if it comes down in a hollow you have the same problem, the bow is low the stern high on the wave, and alot of forward momentum.
In these cases you have just enough time to say "oh" but not enough to finish.

KG4
08-07-2001, 07:32 PM
Wow did he wad that thing up.Glad to hear they walked away.Be careful guys.

LaveyT
08-07-2001, 07:56 PM
A freind of mine did the same thing with his vector/140 Rude.He has a picture of the wreck as it happened with the passenger holding on for dear life, and Rick P.was under water.Lawsuit,wife wouldnt boat with him any more, wouldnt let his kid ride with him.The mental part can last a life time.Sorry to hear of it. Dave

KG4
08-07-2001, 09:09 PM
Keep us posted on how Rick is doing.

Papallison
08-08-2001, 11:58 AM
Looks like everyone will be OK...hate it when bad things happen to good people and boats.....

DBK
08-08-2001, 12:57 PM
Just a bit of input on this one....just Sunday as a matter of fact. Coming ut of Wabasha, MN harbor on the Mississippi next too a ~26 ft twin engine Scarab....BIG and fast. They are pointing at me and stuff...kinda wondering I suppose. Pass the "No Wake" bouy and we take off. I lean on it kinda easy (26" Yamaha) and am easily ahead of him right away but he on my ass and the wind is very high (nose down) and the water is chopped up. Lots of boat traffic and a barge coming the other way. I back off and yield to the barge and he stays in it and passes me...ha...ha...they all laugh and wave going by. The Scarab swerves close to the barge and stays in it.....a little marginal on safety in my opinion, but it's him and not me, so I care not. Now I pull in behind him....GIANT wake.....he is going about 65 mph....pushing an impressive amount of water aside. I wait patiently and follow. Now we get to the mouth of Lake Pepin and I see my opening off to the right...smoother water, no other boats, wind blocked by bluffs. Problem is this wave is BIG and I am in pretty close so its TALL and DEEP. What the hell, never taken water over the front in my Grandsport yet so out we go. Remember I am trimed down more than usual because of the high wind. Get the nose over the first rise and no water behind it....ohhhh. Give it a little gas as I don;t want to smash it too hard but its trimmed down and the nose drops pretty deep and scoops a little water on the next one....not a lot but a little. Surprised me though. In a bassing Allison that might have been trouble....the Grandsport deck just shed it over my head. Anyway, I clean the Scarab going away on the outside headed into Lake Pepin, maybe need 85 or so too make sure there was no room for debate. I eventually had to gas down becuse the lake was whopped up and he kept the hammer down. I call it a W on my scorecard. Moral of story: No substitute for seat time...know your craft and work up to whatever level you are comfortable with. Next time I will drop back a little til the wave is a little flatter and also trim up a tad so a gas pedal feather will lift the bow when needed. My trim was a touch too low to help me much....plus the Yamaha prop didn;t give much leverage. Just some thoughts.