PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for ideas

jaybrown
09-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Hey everyone first i want to say hello im new here and looking to help out where i can and get help from everyone. So i bought a 1983 hydrostream voyager with a 175 johnson on it. Its in pretty rough shape but it runs great and seems to be ok, but i dont thnk it has ever seen indoors in it life. So what i was thinking of doing because it way to far gone to restore back to life and i dont think it would be worth it i was thinking of making it into a Rat Boat so im looking for some i deas? And also is there a way to make the 175 johnson louder? its a 1986 johnson. Any ideas i would love to hear them form seat ideas to throttle ideas I will try and get a picture of it up as soon as i can. :thumbsup:

jaybrown
09-11-2016, 07:39 AM
I hope this picture worked

jaybrown
09-11-2016, 07:50 AM
Hope this one works

W2F a V-King
09-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Not sure exactly what a "rat boat" is...??

BUT if it's going to have any water time with any motor on the back, it's very likely to need a floor/core/transom restore. Old Hydrostreams are kind of known for this needing to be done. Especially one that has lived outdoors all of it's life. The balsa core is a sponge that rots over time exposure to moisture. I am restoring my 79 V-King right now and can send you many pictures of what mine looked like...really bad. The guy I bought it from was using it up to the day I bought it. He also said it kinda squirrely over 70. I found several cracks in the core while removing it. Another couple times out...the right wave...and the hull would have ruptured and taken on water.

Just giving you a heads up, and if you search this subject out you will find many...many...other people with similar stories.

Oh, and this guy kept his boat garaged.

It's going to need to be checked at a minimum. It' might "feel" OK.....until it doesn't. :eek:

imho it's not safe until it's been verified so...core and transom samples taken.

Here is a few pics from my restore taken a few days ago.

James

355003 This is one of the cracked areas near the transom

355004 Removing the core from the front of the boat...this part was up under the bow deck area....rotten core. Coming out!

355005 Working my way to the stern..the core is rotten all the way back. Still much more to remove.

Not jacking the thread...just giving you a visual of what "might" be under your floor??
This boat was not safe to use...imho. And I knew that when I bought it. I was tempted to drop it in the water on the way home for a quick look see...but knew better and did not.

jaybrown
09-11-2016, 09:05 AM
Yes i understand, my boat is junk so i wanna get one more year out of it then scrap it so what i mean by rat boat is like a rat rod. It would take way to much to fix this boat i could but 2 more boat for the price it would take to fix this one. I pur a transom saver plate and 5 coats of fiber glass on the transom it is solid now but one more season and its done. So i just wanna make it look like something nobody has and make it as loud as posible and then scrap it. I know everyone ill say split the hull redo everthing but i dont wanna do a resto just wanna drive it and move on to a better boat.

roadkill636
02-05-2017, 12:32 AM
Drill a 1" hole on each side of the lower unit in the exhaust area..... it will scream loud when up on plane

rock
02-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Rat rods don't delaminate at speed and kill people. Old Hydrostreams can. Try to keep the speed at a minimum. This is not a boat you want hanging on the edge cuz it's a bunch of fun right up till the moment it's not. At that point you and your passengers may go for a swim therefore everyone should be wearing jackets. Not trying to bust your balls but there is a big difference with an iffy ride on the water. And roadkill636 is correct. It will make some racket. Good luck, be safe, and welcome to the site.