PDA

View Full Version : Question about Checkmate jet

Raceman
08-06-2001, 04:54 PM
I ran across a brand new Checkmate jet that's never had an engine in it. It's got a Berkley pump and is a mid 70's model if I remember right. It's a flat deck boat without a winshield. The guy and his father bought it new, father's long since died and the boat's been in inside storage ever since. How would something like that run with a mild 502 and a set of Basset's and how much money has to be spent on the pump? The guy's off the scale with what he thinks it's worth, but I'm still intriqued if it'd make a fun toy. Also, will those hulls behave in the 75 to 80 MPH range if that kind of speed's economically practical.

proy4
08-09-2001, 09:30 PM
IF THIS CHECKMATE HAS AND E PUMP OR A JACUZZI YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING 75 OR 80 MPH

Raceman
08-09-2001, 09:48 PM
The only thing I know about the pump is that it's a brand new Berkley. What's a reasonable expectation for speed with about 500 HP in a mild 502? What does it cost to do the pump? I think it's got an adjustable snout too, with a locking handle by the driver's seat. Is that called a jet-o-vator? I've got outboards to run really fast, but if I do decide to take it on as a project I don't want a lotta crap from the tournament bassboat crowd, that's why I figured the 75 to 80 speed was necessary.

[Edited by Raceman on 08-09-2001 at 09:50 PM]

sleekcrafter
08-10-2001, 10:44 PM
RaceMan, The patch the hull and throw a clamp-on 2-stroke on, thats the easy way. I came across one afew weeks ago it had a 460 and a berkley pump both were tired,but it still managed a good 60mph. Yes a good engine is a start but you are going to need a good pump man to go thru the berkley to get 70-80 mph, as you may know they are not efficeint totally stock, yes we too have performance mod's to get the boats to run. Jump on it if its a deal, I'm sure you could make a few bucks on it. Have a good one I'm off to vacuum Fox Lake you you o/b guys don't ding your props. cw