PDA

View Full Version : Need to get shine back after sanding.....

Jeff_S
04-08-2003, 08:45 AM
I posted earlier about filling in about twelve small holes in the transom of my boat. I filled the holes with epoxy and then I got one of the do-it-yourself kits and mixed it myself to match pretty closely. It is not exact, but it is close enough to make me happy. I got a sanding block and sanded the gel flat with the transom. It looks pretty good, but I just can't get back the shine that was there before sanding. I wet sanded the area and it is really smooth, but not shiny. What can I use to get this shine back?

Thunderduck
04-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Try 3M Micro Compound. Should bring the original shine back. Good Luck!!

Techno
04-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Sand papers don't go high enough to get a shine. Even as high as 6,000 grit it's still too course. You have to work up towards the final polish, which is an extremely fine abrasive.
Rubbing compounds and such untill you like it.
The whole thing with polishing is to produce scratches so tiny you can't see them anymore.

Forkin' Crazy
04-08-2003, 07:17 PM
What grit did you use? I like to finish off with 1500, buff it with DX25 Ditzler Polishing Compound.

If I really want it to shine, I use a finer compound and pad, then a sythetic compound and pad, and then a swirl wax remmover. Then a Teflon/Carnubia wax.

:D

Forkin' Crazy
04-08-2003, 07:20 PM
BTW, the paint is Ditzler's Concept...:)

Jeff_S
04-09-2003, 08:14 AM
I got some 3M polishing compound yesterday and buffed it for a while. It looks pretty dang good. It is not perfect yet, but I need to buff it a little more. I think I will finish it with the micro compound. The holes are a little noticeable, but I wasn't looking for perfection, just didn't want to fill the holes with the used bolts. I was amazed at how well the 3m worked.