PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Fillers.../???

mr twister
04-04-2003, 01:11 PM
HEY GUYS,
I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE PROPER FILLER IS FOR FIBERGLASS REPAIR. I AM OF THE OLD SCHOOL..... I HAVE DONE GLASS WORK ALL MY LIFE. I DO CUSTOM PAINTS.. FLAKES INCLUDED. BUT RECENTLY I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING SOME BUBBLES MAYBE ONE OUTTA TEN REPAIRS. I HAVE USED FILLERS FROM (GOOD) BODY FILLER TO AEROSIL AND RESIN MIXES. I HAVE RESCENTLY SWITCHED TO DURATECH OR FERRO PRIMER. FOR YEARS I JUST USED AUTOMOTIVE FILLERS AND PRIMERS. WITH SOME STILL LOOKIN GREAT TODAY FROM MANY YEARS BACK. SOMEWHERE, SOMEHOW SOMETHING HAS CHANGED. I HAVE THE BEST OF PRIMERS AND THE ULTIMATE PAINTS...PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE ULTIMATE FILLER IS SUPPOSE TO BE. THE ONE THAT ALL OF MY COMPETION IS USING THESE DAYS ..!!
THANKS FOR ANY RESPONSES....

STEVE :rolleyes:

AlaskaStreamin
04-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Steve,

In my experience, Regular automotive fillers will absorb moisture and bubble the paint. There is a marine filler that won't absorb moisture. Evercoat makes one I think it's called Formula 27 or 47. I only use this stuff for the final skim coat or thin filling ( 1/8" or less). Other than that I make a putty out of resin or gelcoat and a mix of Micro-balloons, Cabosil, and or milled fibers to get a frosting like consistancy. Hope this helps.

Wile E. Coyote
04-05-2003, 07:31 PM
If you want a bulletproof filler, go to your supplier and ask for cab-o-sil and microballoons. Mix some resin and add the microballoons for strength. (too many and the surface will be pourus) and the cab-o-sil. Cab o sil is pure fumed silica and when mixed with the resin it will form a paste (it takes alot thats why you also add the microballoons they also work as a filler). When your done and its dried basically what you have is fiberglass putty. It sands very easily