PDA

View Full Version : Advice on gel

Baja18
04-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Hey all, whats the best method for bringing back the shine to your gel coat? Its not oxydized or scratched up just kind of dull. Also best way to remove stickers. I need to replace the numbers. Thanks:cool:

Forkin' Crazy
04-03-2003, 11:30 PM
You probably need to buff it with a polishing compound....You will need a machine buffer.....or a lot of hand rubbing!

Is it flake or solid?

Baja18
04-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Hey forkin, its solid white. Just the top needs the buffing. The bottom half (hull) was painted a bright yellow which is in very good shape. Any ideas on the sticker removal? I dont want to damage the gel using the wrong solvent. Thanks:cool:

10.5' Tunnel
04-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Hair dryer and a razor blade for the decals ;)

Baja18
04-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks Tunnel, I thought I would have to use an adhesive solvent and was afraid it would run down on the paint :eek: You know how accidents happen:cool:

sho305
04-04-2003, 12:04 PM
You can clean up the glue with lighter fluid or mineral spirits, it should not hurt anything if you don't pour it all over. Just soak a rag and hold it there for a few and wipe off good. be careful with the razor, and try to peel it with heat only if you can. Should be able to hold your hand on it for a bit to make sure your not too hot.

Don't use a fast solvent like laquer thinner.

If polish/compound don't work, try Softscrub with bleach for white by machine. Not sure about by hand. Be careful of the bleach, or use the regular w/out bleach. It will trash your colored shirt, etc. Then use polish over it for a final shine. Most of the time, you realy have to do it by machine wheel. Gel is very hard.

Baja18
04-05-2003, 10:41 AM
The glue left over was one of my concerns. As for the white I would think a compound with my buffer should do it. As I said earlier its just kinda dull. But if Im not happy with the results I now have an option, thanks:cool:

Techno
04-05-2003, 02:32 PM
zainobros.com

sho305
04-05-2003, 05:33 PM
If it is gel and not paint, it rubs hard. So you have to use something like the old laquer HD compound to cut it. There are compounds for gel too of course. There are fewer new ones as you hardly ever need the nasty HD stuff on CC, unless you really screwed it up. Then you have to be very careful cause it will trash CC car paint easily. The Soft scrub just was cheaper, and it worked for me so I could use a CC cleaner(medium power) after that I had laying around here to make a final shine. Softscrub is about $5, some compounds are $15-20. But, I had a bad fade problem too and had to hog it down some. Never use any stronger (courser) than you need to when buffing. Sounds like yours will be easier.

Techno
04-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Something for cleaning paint or whatever is something called claybar. I've never used it myself but understand it acts kind of like an erasure to remove any grit or dirt in the paint. Paint stores should carry it.
It's like a detailing thing before waxing but could work on some finishes to bring them back.

Baja18
04-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Techno, I have used the clay on my car and it really works well. I already have some for when I clean and wax the hull and stripes on the bow. I discovered the guy next door to me's brother is a dealership detailer. So he's got some good compounds and a pro buffer and polisher he's letting me use. I will start my attack tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted. Also sho305 the stickers are gone, thanks:cool:

sho305
04-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Good deal! Be careful with that wheel if you have not run one before.

Baja18
04-06-2003, 09:36 PM
The guy came over today and showed me how to use and how much compound and polish. We did a small area on the bow and it shined up REALLY well:) So tomorrow after work Im hitting it. Ill let you all know my results:cool:

Baja18
04-09-2003, 05:29 PM
I got it buffed and polished, what ya guys think?:confused: :cool:

Baja18
04-09-2003, 05:31 PM
:) :D :cool:

10.5' Tunnel
04-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Looks Great!Wanna come over and do mine now lol

Techno
04-09-2003, 06:18 PM
GOt real bad news for ya Baja - that looks so good that now you have to do the trailer!

Jay R.
04-09-2003, 06:54 PM
looks awesome Baja!!

Baja18
04-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys, by your reactions all the hard work paid off. I was pretty happy with the results. Techno, I know the trailer sucks and after I get the carpet and interior back in, it will be next, the same yellow as the hull:eek: But again thanks for all the comps. :cool:

sho305
04-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Looks great! Good job.

outboards4life
04-11-2003, 02:11 AM
That looks really good Brad. Like 10.5 tunnel said. Wanna come over and do mine now. LOL. Well actually i'm serious.:D :D :D
Later
Travis:cool:

Forkin' Crazy
04-11-2003, 02:28 AM
Dat be shinin' like it be bran new!

How about some pics in the water?:cool:

Baja18
04-11-2003, 06:21 AM
Hey all, once again thanks for all of the comps.:D Travis if you need help on your sleek or the daytona give me a holler. Hey forkin I still have to put carpet and interior back in but will be done with that by next week. Then I have a few motor things to take care of like a broken skeg,put wheel mounted trim buttons in(Gordie Miller is helping me out with that one) then paint and rewire the trailer:eek: whew I still got some work ahead of me. Oh well one step at a time:rolleyes: I should be ready in two or three weeks,tops. Besides dont forget where I live, maybe it will be warm enough by that time :D .