PDA

View Full Version : Hydrasport boats

looperdude
01-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Ive been looking around for bass boats as im planning to get one in the next couple of months, and ive made up my mind that whatever i get, its going to be a hydrasport. ive narrowed it down to the x260 or x270 and 168vee. does anyone have any input on any of these boats? ive read that the x270 was designed with the 150 black max in mind, is this true? Has anyone been in or had a 270 with the black max? how do these hulls behave at high speed? any other knowledge on any of these three boats would be helpful. Thanks

Corona Mike
01-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Ive been looking around for bass boats as im planning to get one in the next couple of months, and ive made up my mind that whatever i get, its going to be a hydrasport. ive narrowed it down to the x260 or x270 and 168vee. does anyone have any input on any of these boats? ive read that the x270 was designed with the 150 black max in mind, is this true? Has anyone been in or had a 270 with the black max? how do these hulls behave at high speed? any other knowledge on any of these three boats would be helpful. Thanks

The Old 158, 168, And 178V's Were By Far The Fastest But They Are OLD! So, They Really Wern't Built For The Newer Motors. The 168V Was Probably The Least Forgiving Model Of The Group. FUN As Hell To Drive But, Be VERY CAREFULLL Comming Off Plane Or, It Will Swap Ends Pretty Quick.( I Personally LOved Those Models! The 178V Was One Of The Fastest Best Driving Hydra-Sports Ever!) The X260's and X270's Came Along Later When Earl Bentz Bought The Company. Easier To Drive, More Room A Littel Deeper And Probably A Little Better Quality. But, Those Models Are Old Also. The X270 Would Be The Better Choice Of Those Two. Longer A Little Wider And A Better Ride. Hope That Helps. One Word Of Caution, No Matter Which Of The Three You Choose, Check It Over Carefully! All Of Those Boats Were Built Before HydraSport Started Using Composite Floors, Stringers, Transomes, ETC... So, Make Sure The Boat Is Sound Before You Invest Your Hard Earned Money!!!

looperdude
01-28-2016, 09:43 PM
thanks Mike. I will definitely try to find one thats solid, but im more concerned with gelcoat. id rather put a floor in than worry about trying to restore gelcoat thats already down to the flake, and any type of clear coat is out of the question. thats the catch with these older boats, its hard to find one that still has a good finish on it.

Corona Mike
01-28-2016, 09:53 PM
thanks Mike. I will definitely try to find one thats solid, but im more concerned with gelcoat. id rather put a floor in than worry about trying to restore gelcoat thats already down to the flake, and any type of clear coat is out of the question. thats the catch with these older boats, its hard to find one that still has a good finish on it.

Now, That Mite Be A Trick Finding One With Very Good Flake/Gel... The Last 168v's Were Built In 1980. The X260/X270's Started In 1981 And Ran Through Around 1984/85 From What I Remember. That Was LONG Before The New Metal Flake Finishes That Are Somewhat "Sun Resistant". I Had All Three Of The "V" Series Boats.... They Also Made A 188V But It Wasn't Very Popular... The 178V Would Be My Choice. Rode Better, Was As Fast And WAY More Forgiving Than The 168V. I Didn't Really Like The "X" Series Boats. Good Luck With Your Search! Hope I Could Help Some...

moparbarn
01-29-2016, 08:27 AM
I had a x-270 with a 150 black max back in the late 80's/early 90's. Pretty basic setup when I got it, no jack plate, 14 1/2 x24 Hooter prop, ran right at 60. Eventually upgraded it to run in the low 70's, full tournament load. I got a 24 pitch big ear merc chopper, had it worked by Hill prop service - ended up close to 25 1/2 pitch with more overall lift (front & rear). 6" setback ProPlate, Bob's nose cone, stock geared lower. Boysen reeds, rejetted according to Boysen's instruction sheet & a high speed spark advance module off an early XR2. The boat would get up on the pad & stay there, VERY stable, like sitting on the couch. No torque tab on the skeg, pull was not bad at all. Good storage room, compartments behind the seats were foamed in & held ice very well. Large live wells, never had a fish die fishing N. Fla. tournaments in the heat. Handled rough water as well as a light 17'6" boat can be expected to, with an amazingly dry ride. Also got very good fuel mileage, NOT due to me babying it.....I could run from the 98 bridge in Apalachicola up the river to the dam at Lake Seminole/Chattahoochee/Hiway 90 & back on just over 1/2 of a 24 gallon tank, running 6200-6400 rpm all the way. Standard fiberglass layup, no kevlar. I kept it until 2001 never had any structural issues at all. Just faded/thin gelcoat & worn carpet. Decent room for 2 to fish tournaments, had a spare floor mount added between the seats so I could put one of the pedestal seats down there for family cruising. Two other guys in my bass club had x-270's also, one with a 225 black max on a 8" jack plate & another with a Yamaha Excel on a Gill (offshore) drive. Both those boats were stupid fast for the time & stable, I fished out of both of them. IF I could find one in good shape, I'd buy another in a minute. I beat on that boat & engine pretty hard, I was a tournament fisherman & it was just a tool to me. A tool that just kept coming back, asking for more. A good, solid, stable, fast hull that served me well.

looperdude
01-29-2016, 10:51 AM
it sounds like the x270 is my best bet. Thank yall for the input, i appreciate it.

WillySteve
11-30-2016, 09:18 PM
The 178V Was One Of The Fastest Best Driving Hydra-Sports Ever!

I ran the carp out's one for 6 years with a 175 Merc on N2o!!!!
I totally agree, it was the best handling, driving and fastest hull of any boat I've ever been in! Almost like a Ski and on a big swell, always re entered the water perfectly!!!
I've owned probably 15 kinds of bass boats and have a Bullet now which I could only wish handled as well as that old 178V!!!
BTW, with the bottle, that rig ran mid 90's and that was in 1980 on a stock gearcase!!!
Earl Bentz will remember it as we stood and talked about it for over an hour once at Toledo Bend during a HS Tourney!!

racer7x
12-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know what model Hydrostream bass boat this is? Needs a lot of work, but for $200 I'm seriously thinking about it.

upyours
12-21-2016, 11:10 PM
I had a 168v years ago with a big CI 235 it would run high 80's low 90's was fun boat

Capt.Insane-o
12-21-2016, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know what model Hydrostream bass boat this is? Needs a lot of work, but for $200 I'm seriously thinking about it.

Varmint

racer7x
12-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Varmint

Thanks