PDA

View Full Version : Merc V-6 Bearings

TTriton
04-25-2001, 10:42 PM
Now that I'm looking at building another motor this week I figured I'd ask. What are the best bearings for my engine? I normally just order the cheapest from Donovan Marine or Lewis Marine. But if there is a differnace I would like to go with what the pro's use. Figure any thing that I can do to make these engine's last longer I need to try.

mercrazy
04-26-2001, 08:26 PM
don't take my word for it, but some guys on here recommend using omc rod bearings. they say the retainer is steel and won't stick the rollers together like merc does. seems like the number was 388344. look back in the old forum archives and you should find it not too long ago. again don't take my word because i've never tried them.

TTriton
04-26-2001, 08:38 PM
Do you mean OMC the name brand? OR just a OMC style bearing?

mercrazy
04-28-2001, 10:11 PM
omc the name brand. the part number i listed is omc's part number. ask jay or jimmyb or mario before using them. i understand the rod bearings are the only ones that are the same size as merc's.

MERCMAN
04-29-2001, 12:42 AM
MERCURY STILL HAS THE METAL INCASED ROD BEARINGS AS WELL AS THE PLASTIC CASING. WHEN YOU GO TO ORDER THEM ORDER THE HIGH PERF ROD BEARINGS. THEY ARE THE SAME ONES THEY USE TO USE. THEY STOPPED MAKING THE FANCY PINNED BEARINGS SO THE PRICE HAS GONE DOWN A BIT AS WELL.