PDA

View Full Version : 88' 18 1/2 Checkmate Exciter

Shotgun
08-04-2001, 07:19 PM
Just purchased this boat w/ a Johnson 175 ,,, still have my Vector too.... Just woundering if anyone else has anything similar to my new CheckMate and any info what top speed with this hull is and how or what I could to to get it there.. my email is bflatoff@new.rr.com

SCT
08-05-2001, 08:09 AM
You should talk to 84Exciter. He has some posts on this forum about his setup.
Good Luck

84exciter
08-06-2001, 04:22 PM
got any pics?i'd be glad to help,anything you need

Shotgun
08-06-2001, 06:04 PM
Nope.. no pics yet... soon as I remember to bring the cam.. T-man has a 235 Johnson he may trade me for the 175... had it out this weekend sunday... man what a smooth ride it was.. I laugh at the difference between my vector and this.. had a few problems with the Johnson starting up.. I had to turn this little red knob on the engine to start it up ... then seen it would idle at 480rpms.. turned it up to 980rpms and seems to start by itself now... I thing the motor needs a tune up ... T-Man seems to know his way around these engines and am hooking up with him thisweek to look at it... anyway hit 55mph with 4 adults in the boat.. alittle slow out of the hole but once on plane it was great.. corners excellent... also looking to have it reclearcoated as the paint has alittle sunfading to it.. been buffing and buffing.... guess what Im looking to do is get this Checkmate to a top speed or mid 80's if possible and to get it out of the hole faster... will the 235hp johnson do it or should I go bigger? either way I found a nice ride and am happy with the boat... even had it flying through the air a couple times!! Still getting to know her befor I put the spurs to her... lol,
Look forward to your replys..
THanks
Brian

84exciter
08-06-2001, 06:26 PM
glad to hear you like her,they'er great boats.i've got a 2.6 gt johnson on mine,your goal of mid 80's won't happen with a stock 235.mine runs 73 @ 6200 with a 28 chopper(gps).
the red knob is the manual primer(choke)if u had to turn it the electric side is shot,replace it.what year is the 175?if it's an 88,it's a crossflow,idle should be about 600-800 in gear.clearcoated mine last year,looks great did it myself for under $200 started on mon.,iwas back in the water sat. morning!took windshield,cleats,lights and all off.what prop do you have?got a jackplate?tell me about it,i'll halp you set it up.
good luck

Shotgun
08-06-2001, 06:34 PM
its an 88 Johnson 175 ... the prop Im unsure of it says Shooter on it? with all kinds of different #s none that make sence to me though.. its a 4 blade steel.... no jack plate or setbackplate.... what is the part I have to replace? and the 235 that thumper has is an 84' .. what type of speed increase can I expect... seems to go through a hell of alot of gas the 175 does ... and my girl says she thinks she smells alot of gas... Matt my friend says it stinks riding behind me on his Vector.. it's oil injected.. how to I tune the carbs or know if Im getting to much gas or oil?
Thanks
Brian

84exciter
08-06-2001, 06:44 PM
the 1st thing you have to remember is it's not a 'stream!
the 235 should get you to 70+ mph on gps/radar.the part is the manual primer valve.the dealer will know what it is.
behind the prop nut the shooter will say 13 3/4 x ??.b4 u replace the valve,when it's running the lever should be paralell to the body of the valve(in line with it).if it is thats off and when you push in the key it should squirt gas into the carbs.it might be leaking that would be the gas smell,high fuel usage.check out the vro pump(on the port side where the fuel line goes it.does the pump have wires going to it?

Shotgun
08-06-2001, 06:49 PM
Im gonna go look at all this and get back to ya....probally late tonight... or tomarrow...
Thanks for writing..
Talk to you soon
Brian

Shotgun
08-06-2001, 06:54 PM
I think when its not running the valve is even with the unit.. hmmmm seems Id have to turn it down and up for it to fire up..... talk with you soon...
Brian

84exciter
08-06-2001, 06:59 PM
that's the way it should work,brian.it's probally bad.
BTW- the 235 will wake her right up!

Shotgun
08-06-2001, 07:00 PM
Im taking my comp cam with me will take a pics of the motor and the boat... do you have a email and a # I could call you tomarrow after sending you the pics?

84exciter
08-06-2001, 07:03 PM
e-mail drewvir @ home.com

i'm in jersey,856-464 0709.i get home abuot 4:30

[Edited by 84exciter on 08-07-2001 at 03:25 PM]

Shotgun
08-07-2001, 12:44 PM
let me know if the email comes through... Do you think I should get rid of the oil injection? and how much is the choke primer part? thanks...

halveb
08-07-2001, 01:23 PM
Hey Brian,

You sure are a fickle one. You were all ready to buy an HST at the grassroots drag racing on Koshkonong, what happened???

Just kidding, have fun with your new checkmate. If you're not careful you are going to start looking like me with several boats. I just hope yours run better than mine.

Shotgun
08-07-2001, 02:13 PM
yes mines running great.... love the ride... I don't feel beat up after I get done with the day.. yes now I have 2 boats... selling my Vector for $3000.... taking a screwing being I just stuck $3700 in the motor alone... just want to get off it and recover some money I got in the checkmate....see you at Firewater!!!
Brian

84exciter
08-07-2001, 03:25 PM
i didn't get the e-mail.as for the vro,u will hear both sides of the arguement.my side is if you keep the rpm's under 6500,the thing is great,i hate mixing gas.if the vro on what ever motor you deside to keep(175/235)does'nt have the wires on it,replace it with the newer one(omc retro-fit).it puts more oil out but still runs great and uses alot less oil than mixing.you got an omc dealer near you?i don't really remember the price.sorry.but it's not that bad

84exciter
08-08-2001, 07:42 PM
nice ride. i could'nt tell if the VRO pump was the new one(with the wires),if it does'nt have them i'd replace it.good luck