PDA

View Full Version : Metalflake GelCoat or Paint?

LakeRacer99
03-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Is there a paint that has flake in it? Larger than most of the car paints, I mean.

About 8yrs ago or so there used to be an old Nova in the custom carshow everyyear that was a Bright metalflake blue, It looked just like a boat.

Is there a paint that you could restore an old metalflake boat with?

Sorry If the question seems stupid, I have never shot paint or gel. I have a couple old boats I would like to redo the metalflake on.

Thanks,

bulldogdaddy
03-27-2003, 03:52 PM
house of kolors!look at wildmans boats,that's what he uses,and i'm doing mine in it too. lots of prep work for a goos job i've been told. they have a prism flake that turns colors depending on the angle of light. and if i'm not mistaken the flake is actualy in the clear. you ad the flake to it. randy,correct me if i'm wrong.

vector mike
03-27-2003, 04:40 PM
I just got done painting the bottom of my boat and sprayed it metalflake yellow. All you do is paint it the color you want and put the metalflake in the clear. You can get any size metalflake that you want but need special spray tips to do the really big stuff. I used mini flakes on my boat and they sprayed through the regular tip. The stuff isn't cheep either. I paid $45 for 6 ozs. You use up to 1 oz per quart depending on your base color and how much metalflake you want.

heath brinkley
03-27-2003, 04:56 PM
yeah the flake goes in the clear. and it is expensive, but a paint guy i know has some extra laying around he might want to get rid of, including that prism stuff mentioned earlier. let me know whaT COLOR FLAKE YOU WANT AND I'LL CHECK WITH HIM.

bulldogdaddy
03-27-2003, 05:12 PM
visit the house of kolors website

heath brinkley
03-27-2003, 05:27 PM
LAKE RACER 99 THEY SAY THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS. YOU SAY YOURS SEEMED STUPID. WELL, I HAVE STUPID RIGHT HERE, HOW DO YOU POST A QUESTION? I'VE BEEN TRYING FOREVER, I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO REGISTER, THEN MONTHS LATER HOW TO RESPOND TO A QUESTION. I DON'T KNOW WHY I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT, MY DAD SAYS 15 YEARS AGO I WAS THE SMARTEST GUY ON THE PLANET, AND I THOUGHT WITH AGE CAME WISDOM. ALL I'VE GOT WITH AGE IS OLD(AND BALD) ANYWAY IF NOBODY CAN EXPLAIN IT TO ME OVER THE COMPUTOR I'LL ASK MY SON HE'LL BE IN 3RD GRADE NEXT YEAR. HEATH

bulldogdaddy
03-27-2003, 05:32 PM
heath,just click on new thread next to post reply

WharfRat
03-27-2003, 05:43 PM
I think BullDog meant to ask a NEW question or to START a new thread to use the "New THread" button. You obviously know how to reply :D :D :D

heath brinkley
03-27-2003, 05:48 PM
BULLDOGDADDY THAT'S MIGHTY EMBARRASSING BUT IT HAD TO BE DONE THANKS HEATH JUST SO EVERYBODY KNOWS I AM A LITTLE SMART. I JUST MANAGED TO BUY A VEGAS XT FOR MY WIFE !!! WHICH MEANS I CAN KEEP MY STV . YOU KNOW SINCE THE VEGAS ISN'T REALLY FOR ME. THANKS AGAIN

heath brinkley
03-27-2003, 05:52 PM
THANKS TO YOU TO WHARF RAT NEXT YEAR I'LL ASK HOW TO MAKE THE NEAT LOGOS NEXT TO YOUR NAME THE SPINNING TAZ. OR THE SPINNING PROP LIKE VECTOR MIKES.

lqdegl1
03-27-2003, 06:38 PM
hell i would like to know too and ive been here awhile:D

LakeRacer99
03-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Guys, thanks for the replies, I will check into them. I have transoms and stringers to do first, but I keep forgetting to ask the pros about the flake finish.

Heath, sounds like you got some smarts...STV for you...Vegas for the wife...

Now if you tell me Skater for the girlfriend, then you'd be the man...

:D

heath brinkley
03-28-2003, 12:20 PM
if i told you that, you could find me at the bottom of the lake soon thereafter. although i did buy a vector for the dog, and a gwinvader for our 7 year old.

Forkin' Crazy
03-29-2003, 04:18 PM
You can use either gel or paint. If your boat is gel, I would stick with that. Duratec is pretty good too.

Painting steps: back-up color, clear and flake, clear (# of coats depends on size of the flake). With large flake you will need several coats of clear and sanding buffing to get it flat.

You can play with different back-up colors to make different effects.

:cool:

Gerben
03-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Yoy did see the metalflake B'mac did on his boat in the "long" thread? (or are these too small for your purpose)

Gerben