PDA

View Full Version : wich boat and why

xskeetshooter
08-31-2015, 09:12 PM
im new to the stv's hydrostreams and mirage boats....some are just for racing some for play. some drive better some dont....so

i like the looks a stv or mirage....couple nice ones listed for sale now....im not ready to buy yet...so what should i look for and why?

what should i know before i buy?

my choice of motors will be a 300x..

just to clarify im well over 100 right now running a stroker 300xss

JPEROG
08-31-2015, 09:49 PM
1. The stv or mirage will be the easiest for you to drive. 2. Both of these hulls will give you a false sense of ability early in your ownership (don't under estimate what can happen and how fast it happens if something goes bad at speed on the water). 3. It will be the biggest thrill that you can imagine (and its legal in a lot of areas).

I have never owned a mirage but have driven several. I have owned several STVs and keep going back to them. You are starting at the top of ladder with a 3L./stv combo-they are the real deal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNGbNNHS8k

Joe

Hot Shot Merc
08-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Maybe you should educate yourself before buying this type of boat. My suggestion would buy a 16' john boat with a 25 hp engine first then maybe step up to a glastron with 85 hp merc. After that maybe a 17 hydrostream with a 150. Your not ready for an STV or Mirage in my opinion.

eli
08-31-2015, 10:28 PM
what they are saying is before you go out and buy a stv or mirage you will need lots of seat time before you even think about going fast ,trim settings so you don't blow it over ,able to read the water ,wind ,you will need someone to show you first hand the ropes , I have had 4 boats starting with 14 tri haul with 85 evinrude 39 mph down hill,1988 20 switzer 200 merc 74 mph took all summer to learn that one ,1988 23 Daytona twin 245 mercs 108 mph went 2 summers learning the boat before I did a top end run ,I ran it to 80/90 a lot before that till I was ready ,now my 4 th boat 97 22 rapid craft twister 850 lbs ,twin 245 mercs ,and o boy what a hoot ,things happen real fast in this one I was not ready for but I,m getting the hang of it I,m at 100 mph and I,m good with that because it feels like were going way faster some day when I get the ready and the time and place I will do a top end run which is around 117 mph or so .take it slow and easy for some time because if you crash you wont be able to tell us why. I,m 56 and have been in dozens of boats of friends , family have gone 120 to 160 mph and really don't care if I go faster than 100 anymore , I like a 75 mph set across a lake all day .

Li'l Toy
09-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Maybe you should educate yourself before buying this type of boat. My suggestion would buy a 16' john boat with a 25 hp engine first then maybe step up to a glastron with 85 hp merc. After that maybe a 17 hydrostream with a 150. Your not ready for an STV or Mirage in my opinion.

Rob may be overdoing it a bit, but before you buy a boat capable of over 100 mph it would be good to get some real time (years) in a 75-80 mph boat that is less likely to kill you in a snap.

xskeetshooter
09-01-2015, 05:48 AM
thats funny....already every reply thinks ive never driven over 80.....ok guys i have a stroker 300x right now.....does that qualify as fast?
and yes its over 100:p

powerabout
09-01-2015, 05:55 AM
the impact with water goes up with the square of the speed

speedinstream
09-01-2015, 06:12 AM
thats funny....already every reply thinks ive never driven over 80.....ok guys i have a stroker 300x right now.....does that qualify as fast?
and yes its over 100:p
If u already have a pad boat time for a stv whole diffrent feel

rock
09-01-2015, 06:49 AM
You obviously like your Stroker (nice boats). If you switch to a mod v you will most likely get bored with it like I did and go back to a v bottom. I have owned 6 STVs several of which ran near 130 (still have 1), couple Allisons (01 drag the favorite), and numerous Hydrostreams. I like driving the v bottom much better. The mods are more stable at high speeds but a v is more fun. We had a couple Strokers run with us for a few years and they both ran right at 100. You will miss it.

Rock

xskeetshooter
09-01-2015, 07:10 AM
I'm into more stable
but fast acelleration
My Stroker with a 26 bravo worked will pin u to the seat till it hits about 95
my 32 performer pulls good well past 100

Hot Shot Merc
09-01-2015, 08:40 AM
and yes its over 100:p Yes that qualifies you. Sorry bro:D I had a few drinks when I posted:leaving:

JerseyChris
09-01-2015, 09:25 AM
I'm into more stable
but fast acelleration
My Stroker with a 26 bravo worked will pin u to the seat till it hits about 95
my 32 performer pulls good well past 100

what size range are you looking at?

How big of a boat can you still fit in the garage?

What is the budget?

JPEROG
09-01-2015, 09:57 AM
im new to the stv's hydrostreams and mirage boats....some are just for racing some for play. some drive better some dont....so

i like the looks a stv or mirage....couple nice ones listed for sale now....im not ready to buy yet...so what should i look for and why?

what should i know before i buy?

my choice of motors will be a 300x..

just to clarify im well over 100 right now running a stroker 300xss

Get an STV then. Why? they are proven over and over. I would try to find a Wally built boat that is clean (Warren-Red Rocket) has one that is pretty much perfect. You are still taking a 33% mph gain and need to respect it (they are small boats).

Joe

Joe

xskeetshooter
09-01-2015, 12:55 PM
yea the nuts n bolts of why....i respect anything above 5mph
some are rotted out n such....the best yrs to buy ect....what to check on the hulls ect....
not looking to break any records but have some fun....

JPEROG
09-01-2015, 01:14 PM
yea the nuts n bolts of why....i respect anything above 5mph
some are rotted out n such....the best yrs to buy ect....what to check on the hulls ect....
not looking to break any records but have some fun....

Theres not any one area that you need to look at on an STV that I am aware of. The fact of the matter is that they are getting years on their lives, and as they are rigged and de-rigged by different owners, things don't get sealed correctly (especially transoms), boats sit out in the weather ect. and rot happens. I would spend the money for a nice one so that you don't get into a project (unless that's what you want).

Joe

pearlriverrat
09-01-2015, 01:18 PM
How many seats are you wanting? I had a Euro and loved it, but my next one would be a Rocket or Mod VP. I mostly road alone, so I personally would rather the center steer.

eli
09-01-2015, 07:12 PM
guess he should of stated he already has a fast boat instead of getting every ones under ware wrinkled as we were just looking out for the guy

JPEROG
09-01-2015, 08:56 PM
If you are going to run in choppy water, I would throw a wicked powerboats sportdeck into the hat. I think it would be safe to challenge any other boat of equal length in rough conditions and as you can see in the attached videos, it runs dam good on the flat as well. I just got this one from Brent-it will have a Porta bracket, fineline interior, strongback trailer, and some paint as things progress. The boat is very impressive and feels like a giant Euro.

https://youtu.be/llCUw1pScKY -Notice how there is really no steering input needed-Todd and Brent did a really nice job with this one.
http://youtu.be/oGxEomud4_A

Joe

JPEROG
09-03-2015, 10:16 AM
If anyone local to me is interested in Todd building one and would like to see it in person, please give me a call. There are only 4 of them out there, another one is in the mold now and will be here in Florida, the one after that will also be a Florida owner. I think there will be at least two at Jasper for the river run.

Joe