PDA

View Full Version : Hydrostream floor problems...

Michael Martin
03-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Well I've finally gutted the last little bit of wood from the Vector floor & found...NOTHING!!!!
No stringers. they had completely rotted away. There was only a shell where they origionaly were.

What was origionally there, I mean a 1x3 is what it looks like?

Where can I find balsa core?

help....

Mike

WATERWINGS
03-24-2003, 03:53 PM
When I redid my vector floor, it appeared that there was never any stringers in it at all, just the drainage (gutter) that runs down the center.

I added two stringers and put a few more layers of glass on the gutter

Michael Martin
03-24-2003, 07:57 PM
I hate to think what might have happened if I would have kept running it....

Thanks ww

Mike

heath brinkley
03-26-2003, 12:22 PM
what year is your vector i just bought a 87 vegas that had bottom damage after pulling the floor it was like waterwings said no wood just glass formed stringers and floorfull of rotton balsa coring. instead of balsa coring i ground out all of the balsa and used coremat. nothing to rot down the road. something to consider instead of balsa? who knows. i'd ask someone smarter than me though.

vector mike
03-26-2003, 04:21 PM
I too have a formed stringer made out of fiberglass with nothing inside of it. It is about 4"x4". I couldn't imagine that all the wood could have disappeared. So I took a closer look and couldn't find any trace of wood still stuck to the fiberglass. So I called Hydrostream and asked them if it should have any wood in the stringer and they told me that Pipcorn was trying all different kinds of stringers in the years that he was builing them and that it probably never came with any wood in it. Oh, it is an 82 Vector. Although, my 78 Viper came with a big wood stringer down the center of it. :)

YoCon
04-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Just pulled the floor on my 84 Valero V and had the single 4x6 fiberglass stringer/gutter down the middle. I was worried, so I came to this sight to ask this exact question, but now I see Im not the only one. Wheww!!!

Michael Martin
04-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Mine is a 77. I'm almost done just got to lay the actual floor.

Its not a hard job just a pain as the removal and prep will drive you crazy.

I'm using a 1/2 " treated plywood for the stringers & am asembling them and fully glassing the x braces before they go in the boat to make sure they are solid.

Mike

Liqui-Fly
04-14-2003, 09:13 AM
I've purchased quite a bit from this company. There web page is very good and packing and shipping is top notch. Under their clearance corner section they have prices on vinyl that are about 50% off also.

www.fibreglast.com

David