PDA

View Full Version : Iso. D mod , d stock , or ss45 or tunnel or hydro hull

carolinashaker
07-31-2015, 04:22 PM
I'm looking for a tunnel or hydro hull to put a mod 50 tohatsu on for my son . He Kinda would like to fined a tomcat tunnel or sst45 ,ss45 c sport tunnel possibly but options are open to hydro .would also consider a complete boat and motor if price is reasonable . I'm in sc but I'm I will travel a reasonable distance for one thanks !

Instigator
07-31-2015, 05:24 PM
Go to the APBA website, check the race schedule by you, go to a race and take cash.

As an X, 9 yr kneel down hydro racer, I can tell you the info/help you will get will be worth double the cost of the boat.

Great idea, and a great dad.

Good luck, be careful and buy safety gear while you're at the races. What you are looking for is way beyond a toy.

carolinashaker
07-31-2015, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info I'll go check it out! Don't think there's one close to me drag racing is the thing around here. The boat will be set up for 1/8 mile drag racing . I have never seen a small hydro set up for drag racing diff learning curve for sure. The tunnels work really we'll . I would to try a hydro but may stay tunnel . My son has been running a v bottom with a stock Nissan 2 cylinder moving up a class . And I agree safety is very important his vest is rated to 100 mph helmet and neck brace with a kill tether , Hooked to him. Thanks or the info

Instigator
08-01-2015, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info I'll go check it out! Don't think there's one close to me drag racing is the thing around here. The boat will be set up for 1/8 mile drag racing . I have never seen a small hydro set up for drag racing diff learning curve for sure. The tunnels work really we'll . I would to try a hydro but may stay tunnel . My son has been running a v bottom with a stock Nissan 2 cylinder moving up a class . And I agree safety is very important his vest is rated to 100 mph helmet and neck brace with a kill tether , Hooked to him. Thanks or the info
Very good. You have a good head on your shoulders.
I've been out of those boats a bunch of times and they will bite you.

Normally the stuff that turns up on the classifieds are antiques.

If you get it from a racer, depending on your budget, you can easily score an outdated, bottom 5 finishing hull or write a big enough check, get a top 3 finishing hull. For drag racing I'd think tunnel also, just for the extra bottom surface area aft, to get the boat out of the hole.
I've never seen one drag race either although up north at the Three Lakes shoot out they've had some kneel down guys run there and that's a 1000'.

There are also some builders selling kits/plans if you're into building one but I've only seen runabouts and 3 point hydros.

carolinashaker
08-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Yea I know prop hight would be critical with a hydro and some type of small tilt and trim would be needed to get it out the hole, because they run the props near level from wha I have seen . that would never get out . And with the very short and small tranthoms with no room for tilt and trim would be a issue there also . Prob stay tunnel for now to get him started and later on if I run across a decent hydro just try see if it would work

Instigator
08-01-2015, 10:02 AM
You might be surprised.

The less weight you have, the less trim you need.
I had an STV River Racer w/a high horsepower motor and I could come close to running it w/o touching the trim.
On a short course, I probably could have.

I'd think propellers and engine height would be the keys.

Another good thing about actually attending a race would me motor help/idea.

Check out "Formula E" ;)

Another strong one for that size/style boat would be a 45SS or SST60 motor. Both would have trim also.

thornl01
08-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Check out the APBA website. Quite a few races in Tabor City, (yes Tabor City ! )

Lake tabor races are great !

Next closest, August 22-23, Wilson NC

carolinashaker
08-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Yea I seen that all the classes at hydro no tunnel classes I see still prob go check it out.

Sulzy
03-05-2016, 11:55 AM
I have a 15' tunnel I bought to just putt around the river in and never did anything with it id like to get out of the building. I honestly have no clue who it's made by or the year but it's a neat boat. Not sure what class it would go in either as I don't race, never have. It's solid just needs some TLC, has steering, seat, & hot foot. I'm the process of finding a trailer for it right now so it will come with a trailer. Sorry couldn't get the pics to upload but it's the boat in my avitar and its on the for sale board on here under 20' hull