PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for larger lifevest

Wildman78
05-09-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm 5'7" and approx 245lbs. Looking for a life vest to wear for when I wanna go fast or run the river. Who makes something decent looking that will fit. I assume im in the 3x-4x range. I tried on a few zip up 2x locally and they did not fit.

Deznuts3570
05-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Ive heard good things about the lifeline jackets. Dunno about sizes though???

outasite
05-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Take a look at a stearns 4185 SAR vest in a 3X.Good all around vest can be had for under $100.

CNC_Guy
05-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Some Security Race Products vests are made with zip in side panels to get the size adjusted just right. On the spendy side tho. If you get a Lifeline or SRP they take various measurements to get a good fit. I have 2 Lifelines which I like and next I will try an SRP.
Dave

Wildman78
05-09-2015, 08:38 PM
The lifelines are a little outside my budget at the moment though very nice. You really cannot put a price on your life but I would need to save a little for that.

I will take a look at the stearns for sure.

What say you on something like this?
http://www.waterskiworld.com/life_vest/oversized-neoprene-life-vest.html

roadkill636
05-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Im a lil bigger than you and have had the cheep jacket in the past and got a neoprene jacket like that one in the link and overwhelming like it much better. It wont chafe your neck and it gos on better. But iv seen that almost anything over 1X seems to only get larger in the belly area and not as much in the chest and sholder area.

Wildman78
05-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Im a lil bigger than you and have had the cheep jacket in the past and got a neoprene jacket like that one in the link and overwhelming like it much better. It wont chafe your neck and it gos on better. But iv seen that almost anything over 1X seems to only get larger in the belly area and not as much in the chest and sholder area.

I need more belly area myself lol.

olboatman
05-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Wow:thumbsup: Does this thread make me feel better!!!!! :eek:LOL Gary:p:D

JohnR
05-11-2015, 07:12 AM
I got one of these in a large for Christmas. Not as good as a Lifeline but it's what I can afford right now. To give you an idea on sizing I'm about the same height as you and a little under 200lbs and the large fits me well.

Mustang Jacket (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006BACH68/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1431346034&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=Mustang+100mph+life&dpPl=1&dpID=41vTXw6-TVL&ref=plSrch)

John

CharlieN
05-30-2015, 05:54 AM
My comments on the ski vest and other vests for men shaped like a keg, or a beanpole for that matter.
The lack of leg straps can play a fairly big roll in the unfortunate chance you actually use the vest. There is a strong tendency for the vest to ride up around one's arms be you a bean pole or a keg.
It maybe a personal choice about neck support and other features but if you are going to buy and wear a vest for use in performance boating, It should be a vest designed for such use.
Many of us may not be able to buy a Lifeline but luckily the Stearns and Mustang SAR and Some of there top fishing vests offer pretty damn good protection in the $80 to 120 price range.
Unfortunately the vest you buy really needs to be a single purpose vest, it is a safety device. Much the same as needing to buy a proper helmet and Han's device for driving a race car, they are single purpose device that we may wear many times and hopefully never have the misfortune to actually use.
And I also am days away from packing for the Romp and have not ordered a new vest either.

transomstand
05-30-2015, 07:17 AM
http://www.waterskiworld.com/life_vest/oversized-neoprene-life-vest.html

Excellent vest (if you fall off the dock):rolleyes:

stokernick
05-30-2015, 06:28 PM
You'll pay $600.00 for a prop, but won't spend $600.00 to save your neck if and when it's needed! Somebody help me here!

Wildman78
05-30-2015, 07:32 PM
You'll pay $600.00 for a prop, but won't spend $600.00 to save your neck if and when it's needed! Somebody help me here!

I never said I wouldn't spend it but I did say its outside my budget "for now". Yes I did buy a $500 prop. Also is a $600 jacket really necessary??? I'm not a racer and honestly will probably rarely ever go above 50mph. Most time will be spent cruising 30-40mph to a spot and hanging out fishing and relaxing. But for now something is better than nothing. I will probably go with one of the mustang jackets for now as posted above.

stokernick
05-31-2015, 12:58 PM
I never said I wouldn't spend it but I did say its outside my budget "for now". Yes I did buy a $500 prop. Also is a $600 jacket really necessary??? I'm not a racer and honestly will probably rarely ever go above 50mph. Most time will be spent cruising 30-40mph to a spot and hanging out fishing and relaxing. But for now something is better than nothing. I will probably go with one of the mustang jackets for now as posted above.

if you've ever wiped out waterskiing at 40 MPH you know how hard the water is when you're twisting, rocking, and rolling! sounds like the Mustang jacket will serve your needs. I just don't want anyone to get hurt!

Wildman78
05-31-2015, 03:38 PM
if you've ever wiped out waterskiing at 40 MPH you know how hard the water is when you're twisting, rocking, and rolling! sounds like the Mustang jacket will serve your needs. I just don't want anyone to get hurt!

It's all good. Its understandable and I do appreciate it. For the amount of times I may go above 50 (a handful) I think the mustang will do the job.

stokernick
05-31-2015, 07:31 PM
ROMP is this weekend, come down to the Great Sacandaga and enjoy the circus, the real greatest show on Earth!

Wildman78
06-01-2015, 03:54 AM
ROMP is this weekend, come down to the Great Sacandaga and enjoy the circus, the real greatest show on Earth!

the circus was on saratoga lake memorial weekend. What a disaster!!!! I do not have a lot of experience but these people made me look like I have been doing this for years. Not to mention the state launch was a complete **** show.

I dont know if i'm gonna make it down. I'm only available on Saturday and being its gonna be pretty busy I may pass for this year. I would feel much better with some more experience before I get involved in the circus. I have minimal boating experience and have only run this boat 3 times now. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some people local to the saratoga area though sometime.

Li'l Toy
06-04-2015, 10:06 PM
My awakening came over a few weeks several yeas ago. A Scream & Flyer died at River Ranch. Vest may have saved him. A guy went out of a boat on the St. John's, and another hot boater dived right in after him and saved his life; he was going down, good jacket would not let that happen. A guy stuffed a Skater on the Hudson River and attributed the fact he was still alive to his Lifeline. Ordered two shortly after.

I am 6', 280. They took my measurement and built it to fit. Bought a medium for my daughter, friend, whoever may come out with me.

2stroked out
07-30-2015, 04:05 AM
It's the wife's job to pay for the lifeline. Just tell her without it there may not be a body to collect insurance on. I know it's morbid, but a cheap or regular jacket will just rip away and definitely won't give you any protection.