PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Evinrude boat?

SCT
04-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Anyone know anything about these boats?

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/4931517508.html

roadkill636
04-04-2015, 08:47 PM
. Most had the knuckle style OMC outdrive that had the "boot" that if leaked would sink the whole boat.

1BadAction
04-04-2015, 09:20 PM
. Most had the knuckle style OMC outdrive that had the "boot" that if leaked would sink the whole boat.
:iagree: and from the ones I seen, when they split they do it in a grand fashion, overwhelming every bilge pump in the boat.

transomstand
04-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Think that model was the Rogue.

SCT
04-05-2015, 11:34 AM
I've heard of muskrats chewing on the boot and sinking the boat.

Who made these boats for Evinrude? Were there other models?

transomstand
04-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Lotta info here

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/OMC_Boats

Instigator
04-05-2015, 07:54 PM
A lot of them were powered by V-4 O/B powerheads. Some even had twins.

bearclaw
05-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Lotta info here

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/OMC_Boats

I could sure appreciate crossing a wake at an angle, "while remaining unperturbed - in mind and body". ;)

I got to work on a few of these turkeys. Some had funny sort of a "power trim" mechanism, where the engine & drive stayed static, and an elec motor raised and lowered the front end of the engine. :rolleyes:

Instigator
05-10-2015, 05:44 AM
Some had funny sort of a "power trim" mechanism, where the engine & drive stayed static, and an elec motor raised and lowered the front end of the engine. :rolleyes:
Yep. Seen many of them.

I liked the big 4 banger I/O (Merc I think) where they built their own block, used a 460 Ford head and a stator on the front of the block for charging.
Was actually a pretty slick engine and ran great.

bearclaw
05-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Yep. Seen many of them.

I liked the big 4 banger I/O (Merc I think) where they built their own block, used a 460 Ford head and a stator on the front of the block for charging.
Was actually a pretty slick engine and ran great.

Wasn't that the Mercruiser 470? I thought they came along a little later. 4-cyl. alum block that did indeed use one head off a 460, so to try to avoid the corrosion issues, they had closed cooling.
Had a gear-driven cam and alternator. Somebody started an SnF thread on them recently. Sounded like people's experiences were split between really good and really bad.

I remember that the Evinrude boats had a version that use a V-4 two-cycle motor lying on its back as a stern-drive setup. Those motors didn't really like to run when they were right-side-up, let alone on their backs.:eek: I think they had gas and oil tanks. Had a goofball carb-fuel pump setup that liked to spew gas all over the engine bay. OMC Flambe' !!! :reddevil:

Looking at the pics (gotta say, I am impressed with his restoration job), I also now recall that due to the far-forward position of the pilot & copilot seats and the flat cup of the hull concaves, these things would just beat your teeth out in any kind of chop - IF you had a version that was able to make over 25 knots wide open.

Hydrovector
05-14-2015, 06:05 PM
old Merc were Chevy II motors the 470 came out in the late 70's.
460 ford head and pistons and rods. I remember is service school Merc wanted to sell it to the auto company's it had Chevy bell housing bolt pattern and cast motor mount area for Chevy. ford head on a motor that could bolt right in a Chevy. Duh!! they also had a lot of problems with the water cooled regulators and heat exchanger for cooling. the old 2.5 Chevy II motors were the bomb. both Merc and OMC used them on the stern drives.

powerabout
05-14-2015, 06:14 PM
we had lots of 470's in OZ yes the original issues where they used the crap prestolite starter so you needed a battery out of a truck to start them
The later used a delco starter and bigger heat exchanger
The outboard style stator was about the only other problematic area other then that mechanically they were very good.
Was nice to work on an engine that had been filled with coolant from day one that meant the insides looked new for ever.

FMP
05-14-2015, 07:35 PM
I remember a high performance version, 4 bbl carb, better exhaust. A neighbour had one , I think he put a header on it and tuned it bit, it ran 55- 60 in a heavy boat. Saw an Evinrude Boat on the water a couple years ago, clean decent old boat with an old v4.

powerabout
05-14-2015, 07:37 PM
they came in 470=170hp
485 = 185
488 4bbl = 188hp ( yes had better exhaust)

FMP
05-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I think he did some more to it , maybe a cam if they could be found, it had a good sound .

FMP
05-14-2015, 07:51 PM
:iagree: and from the ones I seen, when they split they do it in a grand fashion, overwhelming every bilge pump in the boat.

Yeah , I saw one do that. People had worm cans and hats for bailer buckets. What a site.