PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a 95 200 xri on 201 Champion

jdmitchell
02-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Thought I would introduce myself here. I'm Jeremy, I live in Fort Leonard Wood,MO and I just bought a new to me outboard to replace my 84 200 black max that threw a rod last time I had it out. I ended up finding a very nice 1995 Mercury 200 xri. 120-122 psi on all 6 and it was owned by a guy that also owned a Mercury dealer down in Arkansas. My first question is about the controls. I believe my 84 had an 8 wire harness. Will my existing wiring match with the newer motor or will I need to buy new controls? Next, my 84 had an external hydraulic pump for the trim/tilt, will I be able to rip all that out since the pump is stored on the trim/tilt assembly on the 95? Will I be able to keep my old lower unit to use as a spare for the 95? Any other wear items or commonly replaced parts interchange?

rock
02-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Welcome to the site. Controls should be fine as will be the lower. Remove all the old trim as it is just dead weight now. I am not sure but I think the xri may need one more wire for the efi. Surely someone with more knowledge than I will show up soon. You will be limited on interchangeability due to the fact you are going from a 2.4 to a 2.5. There will still be things you can use so if it isn't taking up too much space, I would hang on to it. Good luck.

Rock

tlwjkw
02-25-2015, 09:31 AM
controls/harness will work fine...gear case is pre-load but good for a spare...not much else worth collectin' dust.. put tha 2.4 200 stuff up for sale............jmo

jdmitchell
02-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the info. I just dropped everything at the shop and hopefully it goes easy for my mechanic so it goes easier on $$$. Which wire is extra for the efi? Will it need to go all the way up to the controls or just to the battery? also will my oil injection removal kit on my 2.4 swap over to the 2.5? Lots of extra stuff under the cowl on that efi motor.....

tlwjkw
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
no wire needed...oiler go away stuff will swap.

jdmitchell
02-26-2015, 12:12 AM
After lots of searching on this forum I can't seem to find a thread with pics of a oil injection removal on a 2.5 efi motor. Any help would be appreciated.

jdmitchell
03-02-2015, 11:32 AM
The shop that I had do my outboard swap dropped my motor due to a faulty clamp on their hoist. It broke the bottom inch or so off the skeg and the lower most portion (inch or two) is very slightly bent. They also dinged up the case in one spot and left a dime sized crush mark on the fiberglass. They offered to have the skeg repaired by a shop they have used before. I think I would rather take it to a place of my own choosing and have them pay the bill. How much of an issue is the skeg being broken on the tip? Needless to say I don't think I will be paying for them to swap my motor. That motor was as close to showroom as it gets for a 1995. Perfect in every way now I have to take care of this. Pretty agitated. Should I just get a quote from a Merc dealer and ask them to pay it? Will I need lawyers involved? Thanks for any input.