PDA

View Full Version : Hey Fiberglass Experts...

Bruster
03-16-2003, 08:25 PM
I have made a couple repairs on the bottom of my Taylor using West epoxy. Easy enough.
Can I use gelcoat over epoxy?
How is the best way to apply gelcoat over a couple of areas 12" X 6"?
I was thinking of rolling it on with a foam roller, sanding, and polishing. OK? I really don't wan't to spray a small area like this.
Thanks for the help.

Wile E. Coyote
03-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Im not sure about this but check with West Systems, Im sure you can lay epoxy over polyesther resin but Im not sure about Polyester over epoxy....I remember reading somewhere thats a no-no. If its not try useing the roller to apply the gel and then dry brushing it to lay it out...other than that it sounds fine. (as long as the resins are compatible.)

BarryStrawn
03-17-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm no fiberglass expert but I can read and have used polyester gelcoat over epoxy for a few repairs. West Systems specifically recommends polyester gelcoat in their manuals. I have also heard some folks say it would cause "problems" but they never seemed to have any examples.

A $5 Preval aerosol works fine if you want to spray a small repair and not mess with a regular gun. It will need thinned a bit and goes on kinda like stucco but it sands and polishes out easier than brushed. Use a second cup and spray some Polyvinyl Alcohol on top for a hard cure on the gelcoat.

Jacob
03-18-2003, 09:23 PM
is definitely the way to go. Be sure you spray pretty heavy so you don't sand through the gelcoat. If you are matching the color yourself, once you get a color your satisfied with; mix up a little extra. I forget to every once in a while and end up sandin into the resin and having to start all over to keep the repair consistent. good luck

dan
03-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Used West epoxy,glass and filler to repair a large area on the side of a 34' sailboat a few years ago. The epoxy waxes over with cure. The area must be wiped with the recommended thinner or sanded before recoating. I'd get ready to spray a larger area than the 12x6 of the repair. You want to blend in to the surrounding gel. 800 grit an area at least 30x18. Mask with a paper box close to the 12x6, spray on a couple light coats, take off the paper while wet. Under that is another larger paper mask and another one out at 30x18 for more coats.
Good luck.

Liqui-Fly
03-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Give the epoxy time to cure and help the final curing out with a halogen lamp. The amine blush that the West System forms is water soluble. So a good cleaning with soap and water is sufficient. Wipe with acetone before applying the gel coat. The preval sprayers are great. Coat the patch with polyvinyl alcohol after it gets tacky then sand and buff. West sytems web page gives play by play I believe on this process.

www.westsystem.com

David