PDA

View Full Version : stress crack?

vectorizer
03-15-2003, 05:32 PM
If I strenghten stress cracked area on inside of hull will small stress cracks show back up threw paint?

bulldogdaddy
03-15-2003, 06:03 PM
i've been told to use a dremmel tool with the v grinder tip and grind the crack,but don't go down to the glass.

vectorizer
03-15-2003, 10:18 PM
The area that is stress cracked looks like a spider web over a fairly large area. Just about impossible to grind every crack out seperate.

Forkin' Crazy
03-15-2003, 11:20 PM
JY has been using some stuff that is like super, super, super thin mat. Sand the spot, laminate the spot, sand, prime, sand, etc.

I'll ask him what the name of it is because I cannot remember it...:rolleyes: But is seems to work. You are pretty close, if you want I'll see if he has some too.

:cool:

vectorizer
03-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Where are you at in LA.

Forkin' Crazy
03-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Monroe, time being.:)

Techno
03-16-2003, 02:46 PM
What I've done is just sand the gel right down. If you see the glass is cracked then you have to go farther.
After- it's just a standard fill it up and blend job.
Since your painting this isn't a problem but if the cracks extend into the glass and still flex your paint will probably crack too.
90+% of a painting job is prep.
Without this prep your primer will have to be able to fill the cracks, if they just bridge it then there is a future crack.

Forkin' Crazy
03-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Hey, Vectorizer! Sorry it took so long.......forgot..:o

That super light weight cloth is called vaile, or vale. Any way, you get the idea. JY does have some. His shop is in Monroe.

On small cracks like that, I doubt it is in the glass. Probably a little flexing going on (or it got bumped) and the gel fractured. It will only flex so much. I have seen JY use it on warrenty work and it works just fine.

Send me an email and I'll give you my number and directions to Monroe....LOL

PS How's that yellow Vandal up there? I should have bought that one! ;)

vectorizer
03-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Have not done anything to boat yet. Get in touch with you when I get ready. Vandal has a 260 on it now.

Alan Power
04-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Something I was thought on a factory training course, is to sand the affected area down but not to the glass. Thin out some gel and work it well into the cracks with you're thumb. Allow this to cure and wet sand with 500 or 600 paper and gel over area and finnish off in the usual manner.

As techno has already said the cracks will reoccur if you do not find and address the cause of the cracking. The cracks can usually indicate the cause or source of the force.

Star cracking with a definite centre: usually an external inapt.

Star cracking with an undefined centre: usually an internal impact, from something hitting the hull from the inside, unsupported battery, cans of beer etc.

Tramlines: (linear/parallel cracks) look at the radius and find the centre of what would be a circle. Or may be an unpadded bulkhead or frame.

Crazing: (no pattern a maze of interlinked cracks), bad laminate, delamination, sun deterioration, solvent damage....

I dont claim to know all this for sure I just recited what I learned in Uni. and as for the repair I suggested I've never tried it, I just take the whole area out and refill, but it usually isn't my boat though!

Hope this helps, Alan..

Techno
04-05-2003, 02:22 PM
I jsut wanted to mention too that if you see a crack that has no reason for being there and it's in a strucural like area, don't take the chance. Grind it right down and find out whats going on.
If a crack is actually from stresses like failure then it's bad news from a safety view. My hull cracked in a major way, luckily it held together. But areas like that or near structural attachments.

It sounds obvious but if you see a crack try to figure what caused it. It could be a part of the deck has lost bond and is flexing or anything like that. Maybe just from walking on it. In which case you fix it and it comes back next time.