PDA

View Full Version : cheap help

ram4fun29
03-13-2003, 07:24 AM
i was wondering if you can wetsand and then spay clear coat over gelcoat. Becouse last year i wetsanded and buffed.made the boat look pritty good but after setting all winter it has oxidized again.

Boz
03-13-2003, 02:13 PM
going back into November. I had a wet sanding clearing thread started but can't, for the life of me, figure out how to post the link.
It's titled "Wetsanding and Clearing Question".
If you can't locate it, let me know. Racemore was the first reply, just to help you locate the link better.

Wile E. Coyote
03-13-2003, 05:42 PM
In case its not commonly known ( I sure as hell didnt know) they make CLEAR GELCOAT!!!! I found about it recently and if you check B Mac's thread on transom repair he details its use pretty clearly....
Bill

Techno
03-13-2003, 05:53 PM
http://www.zainobros.com/

I mention this every once and a while and sometimes get bashed for pushing the magic powder.
It ain't powder but sounds like it.

This is a system and you need something like 3 of the products costs about $55 last time I added it together.

In your case I know it will work. You already have done the sanding route that is supposed to remove the dead oxidized stuff and not degrade again. But it did.
I didn't wet sand.
I tried it on mine that was compounded and carnuba waxed. Looked good, about 2 weeks later looked like it did before. Used this stuff on a test spot and it came out gleaming. Stayed gleaming for months. Was reduced when I washed the boat with a powerful soap but was still visible as a better area. 8-10 months later, after winter it was still a smoother spot and probably would have been completly shiny with some wax.
Last I saw it was the fall, about 16 months after the first test and it is still a visable difference.
I know that "waxing" your finish to eliminate oxidation sounds like crap but this stuff works and if it's a new finish tostart with makes it look even better.

The reason I keep mentioning this stuff is it works and it's easy. It's about as difficult as waxing 3 times. For the small cost I still think it's a better way than sweating your butt off with the other methods. If it don't work you use it after the other methods and still get the use from the cost. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

ram4fun29
03-14-2003, 07:43 AM
for the help I emailed the guys at zainobros about oxidation on gel coat will wait to see what they say.if it will work i'm going to try it.It's by far the cheapest and i'm strapped right now. any one have any cheap seats they what to get rid of. Thanks again