PDA

View Full Version : Foot through the vector floor.....

Michael Martin
03-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Today being a rather warm day here in SC I decided to un cover the stream & give it a good bath. I hopped up on the trailor & jumped in & CRUNCH!!!

The floor was very soft needless to say. So I pulled the seats & all the other BS & started ripping up the carpet. Once I got the carpet out I knew it was bad. So I grabed the sawsall & the claw hammer & went to work.

I know it wasn't the origonal floor when I bought as the owner told me he had just replaced it. What a BS job he did.

So now I've got most of the floor up & can see the balsa core.
Luckly enough the Balsa core is in good shape so I dont need to replace it.

Tommorow I'll get the center section of flooring up & check the stringers, so pray for me!!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Michael Martin
03-12-2003, 07:11 PM

H2Onut
03-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Been there, done that !:D

Michael Martin
03-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Seems the junk piles up very quickly.....

Techno
03-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Cheap
get some plywood and give it a coat of something, glue it in.Good for probably a few years at least?

Not too cheap.
Get some marine plywood give it a coat of something and glue it in. The marine ply should be lighter than the regular stuff since it's stronger so thinner. Good for more years than the regular ply.

About the same.
Get som divinylecell or klegcell, same thing. Glass both sides. Glass in fastener re-inforcements, maybe stiffeners. Glue in. Should end up half the weight of ply.
Good untill you jump into the boat and go through it. Didn't we start here???

bulldogdaddy
03-13-2003, 09:23 PM
hey thats what my yard sterting to look like! thank god its just my transom,lmao!

Michael Martin
03-13-2003, 09:31 PM
So far so good. The more junk I pullout the better I feel. The boat's balsa core is in perfect (or as close as it could after 20+ years) condition. I havn't found any cracks in the core or any delamination.
I am truely suprised. I expected it to be much worse.
I should have it completly gutted tommorow as all I have left is about 2 foot infront of the transom.

I'm thinking about going with 1 layer of 1/2" Plywood and toping it with 1/4" Kledgcell.

The main thing is letting it dry out. I dont want to leave any moisture in it.

Mike

pyro
03-14-2003, 08:14 AM
"COAT IT."

Yes, I agree. www.rotdoctor.com
Buy their CPES clear penetrating epoxy sealer. Awesome stuff, but expensive. Get a 2-gallon kit. Soak the wood real good, it will be preserved forever.

typhoon
03-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Don't put carpet back in the boat either! I wish I had a dollar for every piece of old carpet I have pulled up and found moisture bubbles/discolouration in the surfacr underneath.
If you must have carpet, get it fitted so it studs down(lots of quality sealant where the studs screw in) with a non slip coation glued to the back. This way you can roll it up and store it out of the boat when not in use.

Andrew.