PDA

View Full Version : The Better Epoxy

jmdank
03-11-2003, 09:38 PM
West System or Raka?
What is the better epoxy, and why?
Whats your favorite?
I am getting into a large project and wondering if the price differece is worth it. The west is a bit more money.
Thanks
Jason :confused:

H2Onut
03-11-2003, 10:03 PM
I used there stuff, Fresh mixes.

www.fgci.com

jmdank
03-11-2003, 10:19 PM
thanks h2o!! I will read up on it!! gonna need all the help I can get!

crazy horse
03-11-2003, 10:21 PM
You live in Midland :confused:. Well, At least you wouldn't have to pay shipping on the West system stuff :D. That's one reason I use West system, I'm in and around Midland all the time.

jmdank
03-11-2003, 10:27 PM
yep in midland!! 20 minutes away from west systems. but raka and others are still cheaper than west even with shipping! but.... if the west system is that much better i may still want to use it. I am trying to weigh out the differece.

CompKing
03-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I used AdTech Marine ProTech and I got it from Express Composites.Small place with good prices and good advice.The owner used to work at HydroStream and they don't mind small orders.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/

Turtleherder
03-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Take a look at the information at www.oneoceankayaks.com. About three quarters of the way down the main page is a section on epoxy testing. They tested the major lines of epoxy for use in putting together strip built kayaks. It offers some insight into how the various brands work and react. After looking at price and all the information I could find on the web and here I ended up going with Raka.

CrayzKirk
03-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Why Epoxy?

Why do you want to use epoxy? I sent a lot of money that I didn't need to when Vinyl-Ester Resin would have worked just fine. You have to use special matt with Epoxy since it doesn't have the component to break down the binder. Professionals use Vinyl-Ester and you can Gel-Coat over it and cannot with most epoxies.

Don't fall victim to all the marketting hype. If you really want to use epoxy, try www.epoxyproducts.com. They sell a good epoxy that is much cheaper than the national brands.

Kirk

P.S. If I can prevent someone from making the same mistake that I did, then my experience wasn't for nothing.