PDA

View Full Version : New Merc racer?

Mark75H
03-02-2003, 10:25 PM
The OPC Commission also approved a 60 HP 4 stroke to run with the Sport C class as a prototype with no points. This will allow us to evaluate its performance and to develop a boat for the future Sport D class. This new engine is sold through Mercury Racing. It is a stock fishing powerhead on a special 15-inch driveshaft housing rigged with steering bars — Cool package. If you were at the convention, you saw one on display.

Anyone got any more info on this motor? Anyone got a cattle pod on Merc to get it on the website?

us1ss
03-03-2003, 09:08 AM
It was on display at the National meeting. Looks like a stock 60hp 4 stroke with a steering wing plate on the left side of the motor and a sticker or two added to the graphics. They cut a nice slot in the plastic to get the wing plate bolted on. I didn't look under the cowling but I assume it is stock other than the wing plate.

us1ss
03-03-2003, 09:14 AM
If you go on the APBA site, go to news and scroll down a ways to photos from the national meeting, they have a photo of the motor on a stand.

Gordie Miller
03-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Looks big, looks heavy.

us1ss
03-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Gordie, I wasn't in the meeting when they discussed the 4 stroke but I was told there was basically no interest in it. It's for sure heavy! Something is going to have to be done about the smaller displacement classes. I don't know the answer but I think the new E-TEC stuff shows promise because it weighs a good bit less than the 2002 stuff.

Gordie are you series racing this year?

Gordie Miller
03-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Yupp, I'll be running a mixed bag of races/series this year.

Mark75H
03-03-2003, 09:17 PM
Is this it? I'm not impressed.

delawarerick
03-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Etec is it a four stroke or two. Its something above what we know as outboards. We can only wait and see June is delivery date. Rick
Mercury is gonna do a trick 4stroke around this time next year.

sho305
03-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Etec thread: http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28238&highlight=Bomb

Looks like better Ficht that does not inject fuel until the exhaust port is closed. Hand startable, and they say less weight....not sure about the intake system they were discussing. I think Merc should be paying attention here...:eek:

The Tank
03-05-2003, 10:00 AM
there needs to be a new evi/john ss 70 made i would buy one in a minute.

Capt.Insane-o
03-05-2003, 01:43 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(gasp) bwhaaaaaaaaaaahhahahahahaaaaaaaaaa(passes out for air)!:D

Jeff_G
03-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Very heavy motor. I don't know of any Sport C boats that can handle the weight.

Sport C is a cheap guys class. They won't spend the money to import new Tohatsu's that they are already running so do you think they are going to buy a 4 stroke?One that would need a totally new designed boat? I don't think so.

No, I'm not getting down on the class. It is a fine class. Just the economic reality.

Mark75H
03-07-2003, 04:59 PM
The motor is not intended for Sport C, it is intended as a Sport D revival motor and will be allowed to run with Sport C's to see what boat changes will be needed for "real" Sport D's. Isn't adding another class contrary to the general plan?

My prediction: DOA

MN4V
03-08-2003, 09:04 PM
I've done some prelim. design work for a boat in the Sport D class. The acceleration is better than a Sport C (74 mph in about 9 sec)
And the top speed should be in the 70s.
It looks like a good class to me!

My prediction - It'll work - And I want one.