PDA

View Full Version : setups tried and proven

blkmtrfan
02-28-2003, 11:09 AM
I realize that I just started posting here, but I have been visiting as a guest for quite some time. In fact, my current boat project was purchased from a S&F member. Anyway, my Idea:

Is there a way or a place that would be easy to access and owners could list their boat combinations both tried and proven. In other words what motors, props, setbacks, etc have been tried for a certian hull and what there results were (low end, midrange and top end) for each combination. Currently, there is a thread asking these same questions for 21 challenger hulls, I also recently read about Skip's Talon gaining 6 or 7 mph with a little more setback and height.

If this database could be setup, sorted by hull type, it would be a valuable recource for anyone with a similar hull or someone looking to purchase a certian hull type. Even the indivuduals who post their results could learn something from someone who posts after they did and it could eliminate individuals trying a combination that flat-out didn't work for someone else. We could also include photos, test conditions, and personal comments.

My $0.02, but I think it could be a great resource.
Thanks for your time, Scott:)

Techno
02-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Thats what I thought. A baseline that would be good to start from for any particular boat.
One thing strange though is if it was done on STVs almost all would be showing setback when it isn't needed. So even with the averaged items it still needs a close look at the odd ones at either end of the setup spectrum.

Scream And Fly
03-09-2003, 10:09 AM
That's a great idea, and I've always wanted to do that, but one problem exists:

Who's to say what the best setup is? We all want different things, and although we can have an opinion about baseline setups, that's all it will be - an opinion.

I am open to suggestions though....

Greg

sho305
03-09-2003, 11:24 AM
I like the archive idea sort of like on the STV owners forum. We could take some old posts and edit them to the point, much like the articles (ie: drystacking), then put them in a viewing area. Could make one out of B Mac's transom post for example. Just taking some of the more informative posts would only be a start, but I think it would be a good resource. There was an excellent post on the history of the inline 6 Merc, and inline questions always pop up so it would be nice to refer to something like that. Also there was the one on balancing a hull, one about setback tuning/effects, another couple on adding hull pads, good props; there are many great ones.:)

As far as the setups, I think a resource to help you like above can help as it will undoubtedly contain examples too. If there were the posts about how to estimate setback needed, what props do what, how x hull needs more/less bow lift, nosecones, etc. You could learn it, then still do a new post to other owners of your type hull with a good understanding of the issues involved. It sometimes takes me a while to search out a post I want to see again for reference.

Techno
03-09-2003, 11:47 AM
I don't think it needs to be a best. If you took any boat type and listed all the variable they probably would stay in a certain range.
It's this range that would be usefull to anyone that was going to tune or rerig. Or just bought one and wanted to modify something or check it to known values.

I think for a list of boat users info to be useful it would need to follow a set form though. Whatever the info listed was it would be in the same order so anyone could easily see differences and why these diffs work together.
Just an example, probably should be ordered in some way and isn't complete.
use Drag, top end, other
set back how many inches
prop height above -below hull
prop type & pitch
as used boat wieght
engine type and HP
battery -fuel location? Might not be needed but if it can be changed drasticly could be usefull
Lower unit
speed
acceleration 0-60, to top speed
loaded boat changes?
Any other notes that would add needed info not listed.

use top end
set back none
prop height +3/8"
prop type & pitch aerostar/27-32"
as used boat wieght 1300 lbs.
engine type and HP 260/280
battery -fuel location? center front x2/center rear 20 gal

speed 123
acceleration :14 seconds/ 1:18
loaded boat changes? Don't know how this would be mentioned.

blkmtrfan
03-10-2003, 11:10 AM
I think techno understands exactly what I was thinking. An organized database would be a amazing tool for anyone setting up a rig for any particular goal. ;)

Greg, I didn't think that only the "best" setup is worth listing. And I agree that everyones idea of what is "best" is different. That is the beauty of having such a database. Someone could look at all of the setup information and decide what is important to them (low, mid, or top speed) and what could work best for them.

As we all know, not everyone has a garage full of different props and endless time and money to try every combination, but with this this type of database available, we all could try a few, add them to the database and eventually have hundreds of combinations to analize:)

Pete
03-10-2003, 11:26 AM
i also feel this would be a good idea. Make a database of all the useful information about a perticular hull. I think a database with just setups, and no other useless information would be a good idea.

Pete

sho305
03-10-2003, 11:47 AM
I agree, a setup per hull type and weight/motor/etc would be great.