PDA

View Full Version : Compare 21 Skater to 24 Skater

Dredgeking
02-27-2003, 09:40 PM
what are the differences between the two other than 3' and 24's having twins. are there any significant issues with the 21?

Racemore
02-28-2003, 04:24 AM
Alot more difference than the 3ft like night and day,wet and dry,to be or not to be,dead or alive.Well maybe not dead or alive but the 21 has a inharent problem with over steer and has a rep for hooking and rolling.Knowing that as an experienced driver you can avoid this in being carefull.There are guys on this site that have and like them but they are aware of the situations that can occur and drive with respect to that.Just my opinion but if the choice is simple as a 24 or a 21 it is the 24 by far.:cool:

skatermike24
02-28-2003, 08:01 AM
I owned both, speed, handling, maintance,money, if I had to pick one it would be the 24, much safer to drive. good luck:cool:

gggforce34
02-28-2003, 03:44 PM
I'm no expert but for me its the 21. If driven with care the boat is very safe. plus you can power a 21 w/ just one motor. One motor, one problem. There is two of everything w/ two motors$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Ihave a 21 xtreme {skater copy} and i love it. It goes over 100 w/ a 3oo promax.Fast enof for me. Although going over 100 in a 24 in a 3 foot chop is pretty cool to.

skatermike24
02-28-2003, 03:50 PM
I would have to agree with gggforce:D

Thunderduck
02-28-2003, 04:38 PM
I had a 21 with a single 2.5 EFI. Boat ran high 90's but only if you raised the motor real high and gave it a lot of time to get there (top speed). From experience I can tell you that a single engine cat is a bad combination. First, the 21 is prone to "hook" because the propeller is trying to spin the boat around. When you raise the motor the propeller is trying to paddle wheel across the top of the water. The hull tries to drive the rig. Second, by raising the motor the boat places enormous pressure on the skeg. I broke three skegs in 18 months. When the skeg breaks off the boat doesn't know which way is forward and usually takes a violent turn, one way or the other. Third, the 21 is prone to "stuff" in rough water. If it stuffs both pickle forks at speed (over 60 mph), it will most likely hunt the bottom. Like I said, this is all from my own personal experience with the boat.

The 21 with twin 280s doesn't seem to be a very good combination either. The boat is real hard to drive and the tunnel doesn't seem to generate enough compression to carry the hull. I've seen some 21s with "tunnel extensions" but I don't know if that really works either.

I now own a 24 with twin 280s. The one thing I've learned here on the Gulf Coast of Florida is that there is no substitution for length. The 24 is a much more user friendly boat than the 21. Although I did break a skeg on my 24, overall it's been a much less costly boat to operate.

If you're going to run a 21 on a lake or river it's probably OK. Anything else, it's a "bad combination".

Good Luck!!

Racemore
02-28-2003, 05:04 PM
who drives with care? The boat needs to run 70 to be packin and who is running 70 when you can go 90.With all the variables at high speed like crossing Lake George heading to the Glen at 70 taking a good breeze on the corner and an idiot pulls across you bow and you have to swerve to avoid him you might just as well jump out cause you are probably gettin wet anyway.I don't know what the Xtreme's bottom is like but Mikes old boat tracked better after John added the extra strakes to the sponsons.He popped and sells that hull now.Still the 24 is safer and if you have one motor and it quits? :cool:

Dredgeking
02-28-2003, 05:44 PM
how hard is it to break 100 mph in a single 21...safely?

gggforce34
02-28-2003, 08:10 PM
Remember: Water hurts at 100 mph. So does fiberglass.

gggforce34
02-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Extra strakes?????? Tell me more.

Racemore
02-28-2003, 09:59 PM
John at Lightning Power Boats modified the bottom of a local 21.He put strakes to add lift and make a more stable running surface.I've rode in the boat before and after and it made the boat feel controled rather that tend to hunt and drag at lower speeds up.Been in the boat with a V8 and a Merc.It was sold and went north.John sells the boat as a 21 Mini Offshore.:cool:

gggforce34
03-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Ya Know, I'm new to the hobby and i realy dont feel how small changes like that effect ride yet. Seat of the pants i mean. I am sure that after a few hundred hours of running my ass will be able to feel how changes like that effect ride.

LPB
03-03-2003, 08:27 AM
If you don't have to have the name skater on the the side of your cat I have or can build you a Copy of the 21' or the 24' Skater My name is John and I own LIGHTNING POWER BOATS,Don't get me wrong Skater builds a great boat ,but no longer builds the 21'or 24' skater,We have taken the 21 skater and made some great improvements with how the boat handles,and I have never heard of any of my 21's hooking,we added an extra row of strakes to the bottom and a few other changes,and made a great little cat,in our 21',and we are now starting to build a 24 ' Skater copy with a few changes,,the best info I could give is if you want a single motor boat go with my 21 MINI OFFSHORE and if you want twins go with my 24' OFFSHORE CAT,and if your going to be running realy big water we allso have a 30' cat,Good luck in your hunt for a new cat,I have a 21 you could ride in,one with 300 pro max or one with twin 2.5 280 hp's,let me know JOHN LIGHTNING POWER BOATS 941-365-2584