PDA

View Full Version : “RUN WHAT YA BRUNG” Grass Roots style drag racing in the Midwest comes back !!!!!!!!!

Balzy
04-25-2001, 01:39 PM
What we have in mind is to group boats by their performance. Not a bunch of APBA weight rules and motor restrictions, etc. Bill Gohr, Randy Pierson (Smuggler), and I are heading it up so far. RP has done this a bunch of times in his area and it works well. If a guy doesn't fit in a class (probably 2 or 3 classes for starters) he may have to run a big 28” pitch prop or start farther back or some silly crap like that. We will find a way to fit everyone in. It all depends on what shows up. What we will end up with is a bunch of real close finishes and a lot of fun. Cheap entry fees, good close racing, prizes for most if not all, and a bunch of bar stool racing after. Now that sounds like fun, doesn’t it?

The races will be held on Lake Koshkonong near Ft. Atkinson WI. Bill has talked to the owner (Tom Gimmer) of Sunset Tavern http://www.shakethelake.net where the (King of the Lake) speed runs are held during Firewater. He is all for it. He has radar runs and races for motorcycles and ATV’s in the winter, etc. He loves racing. We have come up with the lights and timing equipment we need and he has pontoons to set it all on. We can get insurance for the events very reasonable.

Last Monday night in the chatroom, Fl Boy and K.K. said they are up for it. I know of four boats from here. RP thinks he can get six or so from MN. There is a bunch of local guys near Lake Kosh that want in too. We are expecting 20+ boats. Should be a blast.

We are planning the first kick off race for late June. Just good old fashion fun !!!!!!! Post a reply here if you are interested or have questions or comments.

Balzy

[Edited by Balzy on 04-25-2001 at 01:44 PM]

KG4
04-25-2001, 01:43 PM
Mabey we can have one or two in Michigan good work guys keep me posted. Bob

Ron V
04-25-2001, 02:31 PM
Mike,

You mentioned boats starting farther back if they weren't equal? Is this the same idea as bracket racing, where you theoretically both cross the finish line at the same time if you both guess right?

If so, would my 50 mph (hopefully soon to be 55+ mph) rig be welcome? I'd come up there and run just for the hell of it. It may be funny to watch something like your HST start 1/8 mile further back and still whip my ass.

Would the twin cable steering, foot throttle, and similar requirements also be dropped? I'll go out there with a ski vest and kill switch on, but I don't want to spend a fortune on space age safety equipment and additional rigging just to race at 50 mph like I would against some I/O on our hometown lake.

Ron

P.S. Any insurance issues? Or do we each assume the risk?

Balzy
04-25-2001, 03:14 PM
hey Ron, Everyone will need normal safety equipment. No capsule, lifeline, etc. rules. Just good old common sense safety equipment. Life jackets, kill switch, etc. The insurance will be taken care of. I would expect everyone would have to sign waiver forms just like in any competitive event. There will probably be other boats in your speed range for you to beat up on so come on out and play.

SleeveA
04-25-2001, 03:32 PM
It sounds like a good time! Maybe I can even beet the fastest Amigo w/outboard LOL. Do you think maybe you will pass me this year?? I sure hope so! Its kind of getting old beating you up all the time.:o

“RUN WHAT YA BRUNG” Is going to be a fun time for everyone, I hope you guys pull it off. Count me in!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ron V
04-25-2001, 03:35 PM
Keep me posted on how things proceed. I'll see if I could make at least one of the events. I've heard that Koshkonong is a great place to go boating (though I imagine it could get rough because it is pretty big), but I've never been there. Is the launch ramp pretty decent? Some ramps I've seen in Wisconsin would pose a problem to me because a front-wheel drive Buick probably wouldn't fare too well pulling a 19' boat out in deep gravel.

Balzy
04-25-2001, 03:51 PM
There is one ramp near the highway and another nearer to Sunset. Come on now buddy, we do have some blacktop ramps in Cheezeland. The lake is fairly tame. It's long but not that wide. If it gets too rough, you can always follow the train of HST's back to the ramp. Talk to your buddies that have 50 to 55 MPH boats and we will have a class just for you guys. There is a lot of CVX 16's out there with 115's and the like on em that would be close to yours. I just talked to RP and helmets will be mandatory. If someone doesn't have a helmet or a good jacket we will have guys will borrow them out from other classes. I have couple of helmets and a lifeline and a security jacket you can borrow if you need one.

KaptainKirk
04-25-2001, 04:43 PM
I be there!!
Freak I'm sure if that retirement vehicle your drivin can't do it Baldy (whoops)Balzy will pull ya out!!
Hey Balzy where can I get a Helmet??
Have a lifeline,insurance,kill switch:what else I need??
And Freak I can stay next ta ya for racin purposes, we will listen to my tunes through the 1/4 just like runnin the river.It can be the Freak 'n' Kaptain show hahahhahaha.
later...K.K.

Ron V
04-25-2001, 05:04 PM
I have an open face helmet at home that is probably 35 years old and has who knows what rating. But if that is not enough and I can borrow one, I'll be there. Are hand throttles, single cable steering, and trim in the throttle handle OK for my rig? I have a kill switch.

Balzy
04-25-2001, 05:09 PM
Kappy, You can borrow one of mine. Your head is as big as mine anyway... (And that's huge) LOL Seriously we will find ya all one. I have a couple, I'll bring em all. Bring dem tunes, you can be the official entertainment director/DJ. Gonna be a blast........

Balzy
04-25-2001, 05:12 PM
If you feel safe on the lake with your boat, then it's ok with us. We talked about it and decided it would be more fun to watch you with single cable steering anyway. LOL !!! Just kidding. Your boat will be fine for the speeds you're running. No problem bud..........

PaulR
04-25-2001, 05:30 PM
Will this be held on a week night or on the weekend? I bet it won't be on Thursday!

Paul

Balzy
04-25-2001, 05:43 PM
It will be on a weekend. It doesn't matter, you're not allowed, your Q-shot is way tooooooooooo fast for us little fellers. LOL, bring the Hydrostream down and have at it. Or we could make you run a 15 x 40 chopper and add 300 pounds. Oops, forgot, no weight rules we will just make you run a 15 x 50 cleaver, that would even things up a little. You in?

PaulR
04-25-2001, 06:14 PM
I'm sure Bill Gohr could kick my butt with his eyes closed. By the way I'm picking up my boat tonight, Boatec just put a really cool paint job on it. It's now Green,Black,Red,Purple, and yellow no more ugly bug eye's!! May even hit the lake Thursday.

Paul

Balzy
04-25-2001, 06:46 PM
Paul, Bruce does great work. I don't know if you know this or not, but Bruce was the original owner of my HST. He did the paint work on it as soon as he got it. It was originally yellow, orange, purple, and pink. Yyyyyyyyuck, Still can’t believe Howard did that. Tell him Bruce I said HA and I am keeping his boat nice and shiny.

BTW, you got nothing to worry about, Bill and Randy aren't doing this to race, they are just going to promote it and help get it going. Unlessssssss, we can get enough interest from that class of boats, but I think Billy G is going to concentrate on whipping up on the rest of the Blarney boys this year. They will come and ride around with us though. This is more than just racing ya know. Riding around and just playing will be part of the agenda.

SleeveA
04-25-2001, 07:34 PM
Balzy, Can I bring your Bass boat to run?
Or maybe can I be the official Gimlet tester or maybe the guy that runs to get the guys beer after there done with the race. Maybe Gilmore wants that job?
Cant wait for all this stuff to get started! I still have ice on my lake in northern MN.
BTW You and Gohr are doing a great job :D

ODDD1
04-25-2001, 09:35 PM
Hey balzy sounds like fun.......I gotta cvx18 with a {gasp} MCM in it....I wont beat up V4 too bad...lol......

Balzy
04-26-2001, 07:56 AM
you some compitition already. We have a class for you already. Now you got no excuses, see you there !!!!!!! Oh yea, I guess we should pick a definate date soon. Billy G, you got any comments?

Bill Gohr
04-26-2001, 08:48 AM
OK s I read all the posts so far and they're good ones. Lets keep in mind as far as the day, it can be Friday night if possible. It could be Saturday. Who knows thats the beauty of it we make the rules. If Q-Shot wants a shot at the Title so be be it, if Balzy and Kirk want to go for the best out of 23 like we do on sleds so be it. This is just the guys having fun. Randy and I talked about it and if we have to Referee to keep it fun than thats what we'll do. This is for the guys who don't, or can't, or won't run at other races for whatever reason. If Big Shooters show up then they'll have a place too. This is in no-way trying to take away, work against, or compete with the Island. This is back to the basics, lets have a good time. Just another race. Gimmer said he would supply some kind of light system. If we want speeds we've got plenty of radar guns.....

Bill Gohr
04-26-2001, 08:51 AM
There won't be any beer left by the time it's delivered....

SleeveA
04-26-2001, 09:34 AM
Maybe we could keep him in a full face Helmet all day?
That way the beer would be safe and Scott wouldn’t hurt the dock so bad when he falls. Just an Idea.

Ron V
04-26-2001, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't be able to make it on Friday nights. But if you make it Saturday, I'll be there drivin' it like I stole it.

SleeveA
04-26-2001, 09:54 AM
I like Saturday better also, Have a 6hr drive to get down there.

Balzy
04-26-2001, 09:57 AM
Saturday will work better for most of the guys. I am sure this id true for the guys from farther away, like MN. It does work better for me too. It gives us all day to play too.

As far as Gilmore goes, Randy and I talked about it yesterday. We figure if we suspend a bottle of "Jack" on a pole and keep it out in front of him he'll chase it down like a greyhound chasing the bunny. He WILL be the fastest if we do that !!!!!!!!!

bridges
04-26-2001, 06:17 PM
I'm wary of speed bracket races--sandbaggers and boats "breaking out" of their speed class is not much like racing to me. But they are close runs and can be fun to watch.

I like when you're grouped by cubic inch or by stock horsepower and each man is free to use his own speed tricks to win--with an unlimited class of course.

KaptainKirk
04-26-2001, 07:10 PM
After the first time ya break out we will ALL KNOW!!
use ta street race to the law messed my life up from the legalities of that and when someone breaks out everyone will know even people who aren't there.I personally don't mind losin to anyone I just wanna have fun!!I know most wanna win but I can't afford that price anymore or I would be at the Island racin instead of watchin and catchin em when they come back in.
Saturday is my gig to!!
K.K.
By the way Balz Dad thinks this is a gas!!
And I keep hearin your name comin up the basement stairs!

SleeveA
04-26-2001, 07:14 PM
Maybe you and I could just race, Me being the slowest Amigo and all. I also hear Balzys name being called from my Gal at night, is that bad?

KaptainKirk
04-26-2001, 07:29 PM
Bring it on!!!
I'll race ya !!!!!
Hell just in motor alone ya got me by what at least 60hp,
and hell my motor weighs like 100# more than yours.
And boat, I probably got at least 500# maybe more in rigging.
But Bring it on!!!
I'll race ya !!!!!
And it will be a hell of alota fun being able ta say I ran an Amigo!
I'll bring the tunes and drinks to the finish line!
And toast ya a cold one!!
Balzy this is gonna be to much fun!!
K.K.

SleeveA
04-26-2001, 07:37 PM
LOL,:D sounds like this is going to be a great time for all! Cant wait!! ****, what am I talkin about I still have Ice on my lake. Thats why I'm going to Balzys next weekend.

Scott Gilmore
04-26-2001, 07:42 PM
Sounds like a TON O FUN guys & count me in (unless I have to work that day). I'll be proud to be the beer caddy , gives me da $$$$ & I's be back wit da brewski . HMMMMMM Balzy, Steve A, RP, & Bill G. sounds like a motley crue, YA just need Sam & Jeff b. to round things out !! Later Scott from FLA. !! YA MON

SleeveA
04-26-2001, 07:49 PM
Can I come over?

Cp
04-26-2001, 07:54 PM
where ya at in Florida? Maybe I'll stop by? Cp

SleeveA
04-26-2001, 07:58 PM
are you in Florida also?
Can I come over?

ODDD1
04-26-2001, 07:59 PM
Christ i spent all day thinkin about what i gonna do to get a hole shot outta my clam.....or how much bottle i can put in before i pop another drive!

Cp
04-26-2001, 08:02 PM
I soon will be Steve. Stop on over. Scott's headin' fer the bushes 'bout now, or maybe the MOUNTAINS. Cp

SleeveA
04-26-2001, 08:23 PM
Are CP and Scott G going to make it to the race's. CP, we could do the car pool thing on the way down. This sounds like its going to be one heck of a lot of fun.

Scott Gilmore
04-26-2001, 08:25 PM
CP, Steve A you in Fla also ?? Call me @ 517 749 2023 & lets hook up !! Sometimes that cell # doesn't answer down here BUT leave a message & I'll call back ASAP ! (As long as I'm not busy with the 40dd's)Scott

PaulR
04-26-2001, 08:31 PM
Bruce is one of my best friends, we went to high school together. I saw your boat when it was new, it sat out at Fort Fremont for a year, no one wanted it. Bruce got a good deal on it and painted it right away. He then picked up a used 2.4 EFI from a friend of mine.

FYI-Bruce painted your boat in his GARAGE!!!!!!!!

Paul

SleeveA
04-26-2001, 08:36 PM
Let me check on priceline.com, I could be there in 5 hrs. Do you have Gimlet mix or should i bring ALOT. Lori and I just got back from FL. she dont have 40dd's, oh heck with it, I'll buy her some before we get there.:D :D :D :D
This run what ya Brung is going to be nuts!!

Cp
04-26-2001, 08:45 PM
...do ya have the boat wid ya? how long ya gonna be down there? Cp

KaptainKirk
04-26-2001, 10:01 PM
jah eh Baldy can I bring anya prop I want?
K.K.

Balzy
04-26-2001, 10:57 PM
KK, you take care of that noise come out of your basement for me. I'll hook up with you soon to take it off your hands.

Steve, all I can say is OH BOY!!!!!!!! Maybe ya better bring her along next weekend anwho.

Gilminator, Glad you're gonna make it. I think????? I will talk to my buds at the brewerys and tell them to get on three shifts a day till you get in town for ya.

This is gonna be a major HOOT !!!!!!!!!!

Balzy
04-26-2001, 11:19 PM
anything you want. But if your too fast we ain't gonna let you run it. Well maybe you can but I get to tune it first. I can do wonders to a prop with a ballpeen hammer and a 2" trailer ball. You want how much cup added????????

Originally posted by KaptainKirk
jah eh Baldy can I bring anya prop I want?
K.K.

SleeveA
04-27-2001, 05:17 AM
Will it be legal for KK to run his speakers out the back of his boat for that extra push? If so major prop work will be needed for me to run with him.

KaptainKirk
04-27-2001, 08:00 AM
EH!! no rules !! be oulawing my stereo,whose gonna get the girls dancin in tha pits??
And don't be messin wit my special prop there Mr.Balzy!!
Ever seen a FAT pig ofa Eliminator do a wheelie holeshot?
Time ta break out that special just for crowd pleazin and transom breakin 4blade!!
Gotta go work on Dads boat again today,nuttin like 2 days vacation used workin on dads express cruiser!
Later...K.K.

NPK2003
04-27-2001, 11:56 PM
Hey Balzy!

Got your e-mail today that you already signed me up. As long as there isn't a Muskie Tournament that weekend, I'm in. I'll be there with my RP motor attached to the Euro-ski Mod VP. To keep things fair for all the Amigo's involved, and so I can race (including 250 lbs for driver), you better start searching for a 52 Pitch, HP-4 Mazco for me to run. The 26 pitch HP-4 is a dog, so I figure you will need to assign my rig with twice the burden to keep things competitive. Woof-Woof Baby!

If you and fellow Amigo Steve A would ultimately conceed and just let me run in the finals and skip all that preliminary B$, then I could also bring the Ally PST and go fishing in between, providing the green bikini's don't show up. Yo! Maybe the T-man wants to fish with me while you HST boys compete in the "heavy seating contest". LOL?

So Mike! Do you think there are Muskies in Koshkonong? I know there are Walleyes, but that kind of fishing is just way too slow for me. I need intensity in all I do and throwing a "drift-net" to slow me down when fisnin' for eye's doesn't make for an action weekend in my book.

I gotta go count the marks on my engine and jackplate bolts on both my rigs. Thank God there isn't a class 12 bolt when I CAN ONLY COUNT TO TEN!

Gillystv
04-28-2001, 12:22 PM
Yo Dude, can I bring my pontoon with a 150 merc to the races? What class, or maybee Ill put the refreshments on my boat? ( Sorry Gilmore) Gilly

Balzy
04-29-2001, 08:33 AM
ya'll would bring both boats. That way you don't have to worry about spare parts. Hell just bring a spare boat. Tha makes life so much easier.

Give me a call soon to plan the Crappie fishing, fast boating, dinner at Captain Nemo's, watching the bartenders ass, whoops I mean watching her feed the fish tanks weekend.

Balzy
04-29-2001, 08:36 AM
we will find a class for you. If it looks like it's too fast for our classes, instead of running a huge prop or starting back farther to slow slowing it down, we will just make you drive it. Yea, that should do it. You can run with V-4 Freak then. LOL

SleeveA
04-29-2001, 08:58 PM
Bring the toon maybe I will have a chance then, :D , Have an hour on the RP powerhead so far, ALL IS GREAT!!!! Cant wait for all this **** to get rollin :D :D