Bob

"Way Cool"

home made tunnel
10-02-2017, 01:27 PM
HMT....

This was just sent to me....thought you'd get a kick!! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfLul_k50Es

Bob

I see his motor is bigger than mine... :eek: hahaha. That thing is sexy.

lwilde.0422
12-19-2017, 11:15 PM
Hey Tunnel, just out of curiosity how far is the driver seat from the tansom on your build?

I have been building a boat for the last 5 years or so. Very similar to yours. 14'6" and my seat is right at 7' to the front side of my back rest.

My motor is going to weigh in about 250lbs.

home made tunnel
12-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Hey Tunnel, just out of curiosity how far is the driver seat from the tansom on your build?

I have been building a boat for the last 5 years or so. Very similar to yours. 14'6" and my seat is right at 7' to the front side of my back rest.

My motor is going to weigh in about 250lbs.

a lot less than yours lol. Only about 30" or so. Few more inches for seat foam, few more inches for the motor jack plate.

lwilde.0422
12-24-2017, 01:40 PM
How has it been performing at speed with most your weight in the rear?

home made tunnel
12-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Really don't even know yet. Only have about an hour driving it so far. Been a very busy summer, and haven't gotten the legal side of it done yet.

phillnjack
12-25-2017, 09:19 AM
This is a great project, and a real good read.

roadkill636
07-10-2018, 07:36 PM
Up and running at speeds yet?

speedman79
10-19-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm just finding this thread now...awesome. Trying to pop around and find pic of the finished product. Besides the thumbnail...

home made tunnel
10-19-2018, 12:55 PM
I'm just finding this thread now...awesome. Trying to pop around and find pic of the finished product. Besides the thumbnail...

a couple videos are available on my YouTube channel username “turbobandit”

it sits much much better in the water now that the battery is forward.

https://youtu.be/ZN4fBLR4Ixg

speedman79
10-19-2018, 02:34 PM
I want to start building one like it right now!...Great job staying dedicated to the build and to posting the progress.
Love the design and the paint scheme is awesome too. I ran through all the pages of the thread but I never came across pics of the bottom - did I miss them? Curious about the strake layout. I love small boats and a small cat is hard not to fall in love with. :cheers:

home made tunnel
10-19-2018, 05:19 PM
I want to start building one like it right now!...Great job staying dedicated to the build and to posting the progress.
Love the design and the paint scheme is awesome too. I ran through all the pages of the thread but I never came across pics of the bottom - did I miss them? Curious about the strake layout. I love small boats and a small cat is hard not to fall in love with. :cheers:

Check out page 5. that shows a few of the bottom side. And yea, I can't afford a big cat... so I had to make my own.
In hindsight, had I known Bass Pro shop was selling brand new trailers for $1,000 bucks, I would have gotten one of them. Buttt, making my own woked too.
Small boats / big motors are always fun. I'm still ironing out the details on this one.

FMP
11-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Have you checked diagrams for the midsection, just to see how a 15" cut down would work. Ever see a 15" yet?

home made tunnel
11-05-2018, 03:35 PM

Have you checked diagrams for the midsection, just to see how a 15" cut down would work. Ever see a 15" yet?

It definitely doesn't look like a midsection that is friendly to cutting down. And nope, they don't offer a 15" model. I have 4 more years of warranty, so I don't think i'll be messing with that anyway .
She's put away for the winter already, so now all we can do is bench-race haha.

FMP
11-05-2018, 04:15 PM
And make motor boatie noises with your daughter.
The swivel looks like you couldn't take 5 without modding it. Maybe mount the PH adapter to a 15" or less V6 mod up.

home made tunnel
11-05-2018, 05:04 PM
And make motor boatie noises with your daughter.
The swivel looks like you couldn't take 5 without modding it. Maybe mount the PH adapter to a 15" or less V6 mod up.

Motor boatie noises !!! She makes those with her BUTT in the tub . . . all on her own BAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hoffer
01-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Amazing Boat. I read this thread before I was a member, watched your videos and was inspired to start my own build.
12' cat build in the new thread builds.
Your best quote " It will be nice and it will be mine" ..........so will mine when its done.
I'm not sure how well its going to run but its in my head and it has to see the light of day.
And its fun as s..t to do your own thing, your own way.

Merc 2.5
01-10-2019, 07:33 PM
So this was your 4 yr project I'm guessing? What a great build to take on and have great success. Congrats, not sure I have that kinda Patience! I'm great with a (short) build ,guess I got touch a.d.d or maybe lazy, lmao. Great build man!

home made tunnel
01-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Amazing Boat. I read this thread before I was a member, watched your videos and was inspired to start my own build.
12' cat build in the new thread builds.
Your best quote " It will be nice and it will be mine" ..........so will mine when its done.
I'm not sure how well its going to run but its in my head and it has to see the light of day.
And its fun as s..t to do your own thing, your own way.

Glad I inspired you ! There's another member on here with a Biel Tunnel that went over 100mph. (User= Mr.Demeanor) He was some of my inspiration to build my boat.

So this was your 4 yr project I'm guessing? What a great build to take on and have great success. Congrats, not sure I have that kinda Patience! I'm great with a (short) build ,guess I got touch a.d.d or maybe lazy, lmao. Great build man!
4 years with a few breaks. I took a winter off to restore my red boat (Tiger Shark). And took some time off when my Wife had our baby. I could have done it all in a year, but I have way too many projects going at the same time. Blowing up the motor on my red boat several times didn't help progress on the tunnel haha.

Merc 2.5
01-11-2019, 07:23 PM
I'm sure it slowed thangs down Haha, but most people spend 4 yrs just trying restore one little on build from scratch!

Scream And Fly
01-17-2019, 02:10 AM
Another incredible build-up thread here. Now I know why I created this section of the site. Having all of these posts within easy access for everybody will not only make it very easy for people to find, but also to enjoy long reading sessions, I like I do.

Greg

Fish
01-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Another incredible build-up thread here. Now I know why I created this section of the site. Having all of these posts within easy access for everybody will not only make it very easy for people to find, but also to enjoy long reading sessions, I like I do.

Greg

I was thinking the same thig Greg, i just spent the last hour reading start to finish. Amazing job HMT and thanks for the start to finish pics, it definitely put a foot in my arse for some of my projects that are way less complicated and I keep making excuses for not finishing.

home made tunnel
01-17-2019, 04:11 PM

Greg

Thanks Greg!
Long threads are great when you can see them start to finish - I almost get anxiety when I see threads just starting of people attempting full-restorations.
If you want to move my restoration on the red boat into this thread too, feel more than welcomed to. The link is in my signature.

I was thinking the same thig Greg, i just spent the last hour reading start to finish. Amazing job HMT and thanks for the start to finish pics, it definitely put a foot in my arse for some of my projects that are way less complicated and I keep making excuses for not finishing.

Man - one sitting, read the whole thing? 4 years in an hour! awesome! haha. And thank you for the compliments :)

Fish
01-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Man - one sitting, read the whole thing? 4 years in an hour! awesome! haha. And thank you for the compliments :)

yep, I always wanted to do something like this but never really saw it from start to finish.

TwzteD
02-14-2019, 12:26 PM

Greg

Greg, You can move my bullet project here if you would like to.

Link is in my signature.

keefallan
04-21-2019, 02:04 PM
Awesome read. I just read the whole thing from start to finish. Truly a great job. I have restored a boat down to the stringers and put it all together. But never built one from the ground up. I actually had been contemplating a complete build. So, I feel I was meant to find this read. It is encouraging and inspiring. I will try not to take 4 years as well. Again, fantastic project. Enjoy your wife, your baby and your boat(s)......in that order. :D

home made tunnel
04-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Awesome read. I just read the whole thing from start to finish. Truly a great job. I have restored a boat down to the stringers and put it all together. But never built one from the ground up. I actually had been contemplating a complete build. So, I feel I was meant to find this read. It is encouraging and inspiring. I will try not to take 4 years as well. Again, fantastic project. Enjoy your wife, your baby and your boat(s)......in that order. :D

Thank you very much! What's even better is enjoying the boats with the wife and baby!!!

keefallan
04-26-2019, 02:44 PM
I completely agree! Enjoy them. Time flies by waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy to fast. It was yesterday that my son was bouncing around in his bounce chair on my boat and now he's 21.........

ecore
08-23-2019, 09:48 AM
That was a good read so figured I would share some photos of my 14ft Cat that I built. Following "Glen L Jet Cat" plans with some modifications, started building the boat in January of 2018 and finished the build July 2019.
The original plan was to power with Twin Evinrude 60s that I purchased at the boat show however 2 weeks before putting the motors on, i realized that the 2.9:1 gear ratio would not get me speed at all and would require a 28p prop to break 50mph which isnt realistic lol so i had to work out a different deal for the 150 ho.
This past winter I re-finished the bottom as i quickly realized that the original paint job was not durable at all aha and also added the back bench over the winter.
Right now the boat runs 68mph (gps) with a 24p raker

ecore
08-23-2019, 09:51 AM
^couple build pictures that didn't upload correctly above

mrichartz
08-23-2019, 11:06 AM
That was a good read so figured I would share some photos of my 14ft Cat that I built. Following "Glen L Jet Cat" plans with some modifications, started building the boat in January of 2018 and finished the build July 2019.
The original plan was to power with Twin Evinrude 60s that I purchased at the boat show however 2 weeks before putting the motors on, i realized that the 2.9:1 gear ratio would not get me speed at all and would require a 28p prop to break 50mph which isnt realistic lol so i had to work out a different deal for the 150 ho.
This past winter I re-finished the bottom as i quickly realized that the original paint job was not durable at all aha and also added the back bench over the winter.

68mph w 24 at what rpm any more in in or?
That's a good number,! Just curious

home made tunnel
09-10-2019, 11:12 PM

That thing looks great! Welcome to the forum as well. Any more build pictures, or videos of it?

ecore
09-13-2019, 10:02 AM
68mph w 24 at what rpm any more in in or?
That's a good number,! Just curious

Okay, someone is gonna have to explain to me if this is even realistic.... at 68mph the rpm's are in the high 5000's (5800 to 5900, its hard to tell). Now, I went out last weekend and had a 71mph pass.... I thought maybe that was just a glitch on my phone gps but then got 72mph pass. I was stoked but then when I ran the theoretical numbers with my setup (gear ratio: 1.86:1, 24p prop, and 6000rpms) the theoretical top speed is 73mph.... so like is it even possible for me to getting 72mph with a very small prop slip?? or is my phone gps incorrect??

Merc 2.5
09-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Okay, someone is gonna have to explain to me if this is even realistic.... at 68mph the rpm's are in the high 5000's (5800 to 5900, its hard to tell). Now, I went out last weekend and had a 71mph pass.... I thought maybe that was just a glitch on my phone gps but then got 72mph pass. I was stoked but then when I ran the theoretical numbers with my setup (gear ratio: 1.86:1, 24p prop, and 6000rpms) the theoretical top speed is 73mph.... so like is it even possible for me to getting 72mph with a very small prop slip?? or is my phone gps incorrect??

For starters. I tried many apps on my phone for nautical GPS speed and they just didnt come close to the lowrance on the boat I'm my experiences, I dont trust a phone for speed on water. If u got ur gear ratio correct the slip calculator shows 71 @ 5800 with 24 and 1.86 gear. Guess u rite on it. Ur slip comes in at 0 which isnt rite , only good set up of twins will get that low

I run a 24 for family prop and at 7k rpm with 7 or 8% slip I'm just at79 80. If u add 5 to 7% slip to ur #s it will cut it down 6-8 mph
1 more thing to add. My 24 is a 4 blade to so slip # b little lower than a 3 blade, usually neway