PDA

View Full Version : “RUN WHAT YA BRUNG” Grass Roots style drag racing in the Midwest come back !!!!!!!!!!

Balzy
04-25-2001, 01:33 PM
Anybody want to race their lake boat?????? What we have in mind is to group boats by their performance. Not a bunch of APBA weight rules and motor restrictions, etc. Bill Gohr, Randy Pierson (Smuggler), and I are heading it up so far. RP has done this a bunch of times in his area and it works well. If a guy doesn't fit in a class (probably 2 or 3 classes for starters) he may have to run a big 28” pitch prop or start farther back or some silly crap like that. We will find a way to fit everyone in. It all depends on what shows up. What we will end up with is a bunch of real close finishes and a lot of fun. Cheap entry fees, good close racing, prizes for most if not all, and a bunch of bar stool racing after. Now that sounds like fun, doesn’t it?

The races will be held on Lake Koshkonong near Ft. Atkinson WI. Bill has talked to the owner (Tom Gimmer) of Sunset Tavern http://www.shakethelake.net where the (King of the Lake) speed runs are held during Firewater. He is all for it. He has radar runs and races for motorcycles and ATV’s in the winter, etc. He loves racing. We have come up with the lights and timing equipment we need and he has pontoons to set it all on. We can get insurance for the events very reasonable.

Last Monday night in the chatroom, Fl Boy and K.K. said they are up for it. I know of four boats from here. RP thinks he can get six or so from MN. There is a bunch of local guys to Lake Kosh that want in too. We are expecting 20+ boats. Should be a blast.

We are planning the first kick off race for late June. Just good old fashion fun !!!!!!! Post a reply here if you are interested.

Balzy

PS - This post also appears under the General Disscussion forum.

[Edited by Balzy on 04-25-2001 at 01:45 PM]

KaptainKirk
05-15-2001, 09:23 AM
When do I get to come out and LOSE !!
Gotta prove how slow I am!!
Blew a hole in your prop last nite witmy .44
Damn thing was beatin on the basement door!!!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Balzy
05-15-2001, 10:13 AM
pay you for that noisey prop and maybe you can get some sleep. The Grass Roots Drag schedule is kind of up in the air yet. there are 5 dates set for Friday nights. Working with Sunset to see how many we can get changed to Saturdays. I will post news as soon as we get something worked out.

KaptainKirk
05-15-2001, 11:57 AM
Let me know about even the friday dates will see what I can do ta get there and lose!!

Balzy
05-15-2001, 01:00 PM
that are set up for Friday nights. They are all subject to change though. I am waiting for Tom at Sunset to let us know how many can or will be changed to Saturdays.

June 29th
July 13th
July 27th
Aug 10th
Aug 27th

We will see what we can get changed. I'll post it big time when it happens !!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by Balzy on 05-15-2001 at 07:28 PM]

KaptainKirk
05-16-2001, 08:29 AM
Thanks,keep me posted!

Balzy
05-17-2001, 12:57 AM
out this week. Tom was hoping to get it done soon so we can rap up the dates. Hell the one in June ain't that far off...........

STVorHST?
05-20-2001, 10:26 PM
Hey Balzy,
Thought I'd come down and bring the 12' alum with 9.9 merc... Will you have a class for me? Seriously though I'll be there a couple of times at least. I have to break the boat somewhere.. be like last year everytime we would get together or plan on it something would go to #$&@ with my HST(merc). I am hoping to get over your way too during the week next week.
Mark
STVorHST? Can't make up my mind. Made a mistake and sold my HST.

John Dorn
06-13-2001, 08:34 AM
Would this be set up for 1000'?

Balzy
06-13-2001, 09:46 AM
You got it John. The plan right now is 1000'. It can vary due to weather and wave conditions just like at the Speed Runs. If it's to bumpy it might be shortened a tad if it's perfect conditions it may be stretched a little, but the plan is 1000'. I know it's hard to plan and set up for this but we are all in the same boat here. (not literally) LOL

[Edited by Balzy on 06-13-2001 at 09:48 AM]

John Dorn
06-13-2001, 02:40 PM
I was thinking it would be a good time to work on props and setups for Firewater. It was a pain last year to find a place to do that. Plus get together with other boat dorks as the wife puts it.

Balzy
06-13-2001, 03:12 PM
that one of the drag nights is the Friday night of Firewater? I would guess we will all be heading for Kosh right after the Poker Run. Get ready, we should have a big turnout that night. I may or may not make the first one on the 29th of this month. I am supposed to be in MN that day but I'm trying to reschedule the trip so I can at least be at Kosh to watch and lend a hand.

22VelocityProMax300
06-13-2001, 06:49 PM
Balzy and Tom- Way to Go! You guys put so much hard work
into this kinda of stuff!

Balzy-
I know the Pre-Firewater events, that you planned last year were Awesome, the Mercury tour, and cruising Lake Winnebago with all you guys was a BLAST!

Tom- Planning the speed runs on Lake Koshkonong! The races are so much better now than what they were in the past i.e. early 90's where the race was the length of the lake to the east and then back West again! Now you have it set up where we can all Beach our boats, and enjoy the day watching the races! and zoning off for the occasional Bikini blink!

Tom and Mike(Balzy)
Way to go guys! your doing a great job organizing Boating in our AREA!

I know I'll be able to get some guys from the Milwaukee area to head down to Ft. Atkinson Lake Koshkonong for these Races-oh its going to be awesome! call me fired up!!

Thanks guys for all the hard work
fpruwm
frank JR.

Balzy
06-14-2001, 01:55 PM
Are you going to the first one on the 29th of this month? if so , where are you launching from. I may just drive to Sunset or if I can I will hitch a ride from you guys in the Velocity. I will still be boatless so it will be event helping only for me.

John Dorn
06-14-2001, 08:11 PM
Balzy,
I'm going to be there, if you need a ride let me know. It's not as fast but it will get us there.

Balzy
06-14-2001, 09:03 PM
run, aren't ya???????????

John Dorn
06-14-2001, 09:46 PM
Yes I will. I need to try the prop I had made for Firewater last year. It hit the rev limiter at 3/4 of the run. Had more work done to it so mybe it will make it the 1000'.

Shotgun
06-19-2001, 11:46 AM
Had to get a new user name.. this is tat1999 from appleton 954-2665... yes Id like to do this.. would like to get together with you sometime to discuss setups and a few other things... look forward to thissummer on the water with you guys....
Brian
Appleton
84 hydrastream vector 115 merc.

Balzy
06-19-2001, 05:52 PM
a 9 day vacation over the 4th in MN. We can get together with all the boys after that on the big pond. You gonna be able to make any of the Pre-Firewater events?

Balzy
06-22-2001, 05:35 PM
I just got off the phone with Tom Gimmer at Sunset. Dates have been set for the Grass Roots Drags in the Midwest. I know this is short notice for the July event but there was some trouble scheduling EMT certified divers.

The schedule has been cut down to two events for now.

The first one has been rescheduled for a Saturday. Yee Ha!!!!!!! It will be July 14th. Drivers meeting at noon.

The second race will be Friday evening of Firewater. August 17th. This one’s gonna be big!!!!!!!

The course will probably be between 650 and 750 feet long for starters. Possibly longer if it pans out. Bring a variety of props. Wind and waves permitting.

For other details, see the posts above.

Post a reply if you can make either date.

Shotgun
06-23-2001, 03:35 PM
Ill go.. don't know if Im fast enough... assuming I don't have my boat in MN Ill be there.. Ill have to find your # for directions.... going to hook up the gas tank this afternoon.... talk with you later..
Brian

Bob A
06-25-2001, 10:48 AM
I will be there along with Sam B, Nick Winski, and Troy Oleson. I am going to try and recruit some other guys from the Milwaukee area to race also. I am pretty sure we will be bringing at least 5 boats, possibly up to 10. This is a perfect opportunity for some new guys to get invloved in some tremendous fun. If you are afraid of getting addicted to racing though don't race because I gaurantee once you make that first pass it is all over!! Let' s do this!

Balzy
06-25-2001, 05:50 PM
Glad to hear you are rounding up the troups. Just tell Sammy we have a special class for him......... LOL

Ron V
06-26-2001, 04:10 PM
I might be able to make it for the Saturday race. I have a dentist appointment at 9 AM and then it is about 1.5 hours up there for me. No way on the Friday night race. What will entry fees be?

Balzy
06-26-2001, 04:19 PM
during the Firewater week. This one's gonna be big. Ya really otta try and get to that one too. As far as fees, I'm not sure what Tom Gimmer has in mind. He is sending me posters and info. I don't think it will be a whole lot though. Don't quote me, it's up to Tom. I will post more info as it comes in.

John Dorn
06-26-2001, 09:30 PM
V4Freak,Are you going to Per Firewater and Firewater this year?

KaptainKirk
06-27-2001, 06:59 AM
If my motor/boat is done in time and I can afford da gas I will be there Balzy!!
Just need ta borrow a helmet.
Post entry fees as soon as ya know!
LOOK OUT FREAK I'M COMIN FER YA!!
Barney and friends from lakeland marine showed me a holeshot trick,Tool and die room here at work workin on it hope it works!!

Ron V
06-29-2001, 04:02 PM
John,

I can't make Pre-Firewater or Firewater. I have hardly any vacation time. I only have 5 days to use between now and Jan. 15th, and I am BLOWING one of those days next Friday by going to a WEDDING of all things. And it is in southern Illinois, so most of the chicks there my age will already have more kids than teeth. So that's a total loss compared to a day at Firewater.

The other 4 days I have other plans for. Hopefully next year will hold more promise. Maybe I'll see you some night at Blarney's?

Ron

KaptainKirk
06-30-2001, 12:08 PM
Tool and die is done!
Product is excellent will install tuesday!
LOOK OUT FREAK NO MORE HOLESHOT ON ME!!

KaptainKirk
07-05-2001, 02:03 PM
Can ya give me info on a place to stay fri and sat night the 13 and 14th??
And any other info...address would be good so I can enter it into my GPS,Hate ta get lost up dere in dem dere woods by youse!
Later...

Balzy
07-08-2001, 10:30 PM
You have mail..............