PDA

View Full Version : CLE lower Unit Good case busted input shaft or drive shaft

CRLmotorsports
06-16-2014, 05:12 PM
300061300062300063I found a complete other one Im going to buy so I will sell my CLE gear case, Its a fresh water boat, case is in good shape, newer paint just hit something in the river and it knocked a few bolts of which snapped driveshaft right at the impellor.. still seems to shift into gears and spins freely.. good case and a lot of other parts. asking $499 Or best.. Located near Nashville TN, come pick it up or without the shaft attached it will fit in a smaller box and I can foam pad it and ship it UPS at your cost..

call me please that's easiest 574 453 6909 Chad ill try an add pictures later but its pretty nice, black, skegs in good shape just needed a shaft and the impellor housing studs need replaced. great if you just need a fresh water case

its a 2 hole, no metal in gear lube, goes into forward neutral and reverse. spins freely, the broken input shaft doesn't have any run out just a clean snap right at the bearing.. but I see people asking 500 for the case alone, this one would have several other useable pieces aswell

Mhall222
06-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Are the impeller studs broke off flush or above the case? Was the impact on the prop which stopped the rotation and snapped the shaft? What ratio is it and will 2.4/2.5 lower unit parts interchange? I have a XR4 lower than may have something wrong with it so I am shopping around for a possible unit to fix up.

CRLmotorsports
06-18-2014, 10:54 PM
impellor bolts broke off flush, I can easy out them though. not sure what snapped it, boat hull had damage right down the center, and prop wasn't damaged.. I was told all v-6 are the same ratio and lowers all interchange but who knows.

Mhall222
06-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Im going to do some research and may be interested. I am down in Leesburg, GA so I would need it shipped down this way if I get it.

CRLmotorsports
06-18-2014, 11:04 PM
ok sounds good

transomstand
06-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Sure looks like a Mod VP case, not a CLE. Water intakes above the bullet.

Mhall222
06-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Besides the water pickups on top of the bullet is there any difference? Maybe for my application it may be better as i will be using on a flats boat. Well it was a bass boat but now getting rebuilt into a flats boat.

transomstand
06-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Besides the water pickups on top of the bullet is there any difference?

The casting is the same, just drilled different. Just don't want to see one of those "hey, this ain't a CLE threads" next week.

Mhall222
06-19-2014, 10:29 AM
What is the different in use for the CLE and the Mod VP? What were they designed for I guess is what I am asking? If the bullet center line is placed 1-2" below the pad of the boat those water pickups may not even be in the water at speed. I can see this unit can limit the motor height a great deal compared to the CLE unit.

CRLmotorsports
06-20-2014, 02:50 PM
finally showed it to a Merc guru, He said its a Mod VP case.. I was just going off what people had said on here.. Ill take 350 for it if anyone needs it, Im assuming a Mod VP case isn't worth near as much

Mhall222
06-20-2014, 02:53 PM
I think it would depend on the application. I was reading up on CLE type or nose cone type lower units and it looks like sub 80mph they can actually slow a boat down. The Mod VP would not be usable for higher motors due to the lack of low water pickups but I'm sure it is good for some application. I guess I may stay with a standard lower as I doubt my project will see much over 70 if that fast at all.

wired247
06-20-2014, 07:16 PM
I think that slow the boat thing under 80 is a bunch of hooey. Bolting on the CLE or noseconed lower lets you raise the motor up substantially. Its the position of the pickup holes that let you raise the motor and get the prop halfway out of the water that gives you the benefit. You only get additional drag out of a noseconed lower if you are running a lot of positive trim and you are well under the pad with the prop centerline.

I see a lot of stuff about CLE's blowing out over 80 but mine feels the same at 92 as it does at 80. I will say I had considerably less prop slippage with my last bobs coned lower compared to the current CLE but Ive gone faster with the CLE propped differently.

TEXAS20225
06-20-2014, 08:45 PM
it most likly has fishing motor guts in it :iagree: and with out welding something on the busted off drive shaft you wont get it apart!!! lower units do different things on different boats i guess your locked into the Boat that your driving for experience cles work great on tunnel boats but they are junk on my Bullet coned case's work best on it Sportys take to much height to work on it also but im lucky i have around 35 lower units in my shop i can run what i want to for trial and error and i have for the last 20 years

Varmint
07-06-2014, 11:10 AM
they came on bridgeports,and run good on tunnels, ,I'd give you $250+the ride(w/out the shaft) to 13669 for it, and take a chance on the guts.

paulhaig
09-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Stil available?
What ratio?