PDA

View Full Version : 86' V-King YT Hull Design Problems

Streamer2
02-24-2003, 09:59 PM
I have an 86' V-king YT with a 3/16 hook in the last 15" of pad. Does anyone know if this is normal for this hull. Should it be filled in or cut out? The boat will run 84mph like it is but I'm wondering if it's slowing it down?
Also should the back of the pad be flat (width wise)? Mine is 2 small arches like a McDonalds sign.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Reese
02-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Wish I could help you with specific information on your YT...I'm sure you've gone over to the hydrostream website...they have very good tech articles and you can post a question to Randy.

I have read several posts from members who have filled in or removed the lips on Vectors and Vipers...some claim a 5 mph increase.

In general a completely flat pad will give you the best lift to drag relationship...in other words the most efficient. The problem is when you remove those lips you are also effectively decreasing the lift characteristics of the pad. Some members are running very light setups with high hp motas which seem to respond well to this modification.

But you are wise to find someone with first hand knowledge of your specific application...good luck and let us know what you find out.

Streamer2
02-25-2003, 02:11 PM
I've searched Hydrostream without any luck on the subject. They have a good article about the various hull designs but nothing specific about the YT. I'm undecided as whether to fill it in or cut it down due to the equal height design of the sponsons and center pad on the YT. I'm sure someone has run into this problem before so I'll keep looking.
Thanks for the info!

AlaskaStreamin
02-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Send a letter in to the tech section on the IHR. Randy worked with Pipcorn on designs. He'll steer you right. If you look at the past tech articles, you'll see one on the Virage hulls. Trust me,... Randy knows 'Stream hulls and what works and what doesn't.

Streamer2
02-25-2003, 03:38 PM
I've got a message into IHR so hopefully I'll here something from them on the subject. I'll check out that Virage article and see if there is anything usefull in it.
Thanks for the info!

Scream And Fly
02-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Streamer,

The YT was not supposed to have a hook in the bottom as part of its design. Keep in mind though, that many boats come out of the molds with hooks and rockers (not to mention other defects that were *not* intended) that could be the result of many things, but usually either a faulty mold, or pulling the boat from the mold too quickly after layup.

I would suggest that you look deeper into the situation by having the balsa coring in the hull examined. The YT was very prone to having its center sponson infiltrated by water. A boat of that vintage should have some degree of water impregnantion, although it's possible it's completely dry.

Let me know if you need any help with any of that...

Greg

Streamer2
02-28-2003, 08:51 PM
Greg,
You hit the nail on the head about the hull. I bought the boat last year and the previous owner had the center sponson reworked because of water infiltration. They did a good job( I have pictures of the process) but it was all done from the inside so I don't know if it affected the hook in the pad. He also installed an in hull 30 Gal tank in the floor. I guess the question is should I worry about getting it fixed, and should the pad be flat?
It currently has two small arches,(width wise) is that normal?
(Picture)
Thanks for all the help and info!
Mac.

:D

Scream And Fly
02-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Mac,

The arches on the pad that you noted are part of its design, and are completely normal.
The pad should be level, running lengthwise, although there will be minor variances due to age, manufacturing processes, etc. To realize the best performance from that hull, the pad will need to be level. It’s possible that the previous repair work affected the straightness of the bottom, but I couldn’t help with that unless I know more about the repair process. Perhaps you could post some pictures of it?

Greg