PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 liter power stroke Ford,

Jay2002
02-20-2003, 08:11 PM
who's got one and how do you like it? I've got a 2001 and am thinking about upgrading. Looking for better milage than 16mpg. Mt. Pleasant Tx. is a long way from St. Cloud Fl. and diesel isn't getting any cheaper. Thanks for the info, Jay Smith.

Travis Fulton
02-20-2003, 11:04 PM
just traded off 2000 dodge I-6 cummins for a new hemi and really like it!!! lots pwr and not bad mi, about 16 or so only 1500 or so mi on it now, the cummins was gutless and the auto trans was junk!!! my buds got a 03 pwr stroke and he thinks it is a frickin race car!!ha he is just a ford nut!!! and our pastor has a new chev 3/4 ton 4 dr 4x4 and its got the duramax w auto and he loves it !! i drove it a few miles other day and it runs well accelerates like a gas rig?? but the ford guy (gary) really speaks highly of the new pwr stroke, i think he said somethin like 400hp stock?? the hemi is kickin if you can stomach the dodge. :D

Jay2002
02-21-2003, 06:55 PM
duramax as well and it runs pretty good too, but I just can't get over the new front end. Jay.

Travis Fulton
02-21-2003, 08:02 PM
me neither, but.......love em or leave em!!!;)

airide18
02-21-2003, 08:06 PM
My father has the new 6.0 Stroke and he loves it,says it has just as much kick as his 02 with a chip.

Travis Fulton
02-21-2003, 09:02 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm? i think the ford guys are like the hp!

LakeTrash
02-22-2003, 08:41 AM
The motor makes good power and who knows how good it will get when the chip boys get in the game but -

The best thing by far is the new tranny. It is really nice. An automatic that has well spaced gears and perfect firm shifts at the correct RPM. Worth the cost of the upgrade all by itself.

Do not sell the Cummins short. The power is severly limited from the factory if you buy an automatic. You are right - the auto is junk but so was the Ford. Buy a 6 speed, have the injector pump mods done and hold on. I have a dyno sheet showing 355hp and 750 lb ft of torque to the rear wheels.

LT

Jay2002
02-22-2003, 10:08 AM
and the newer frds with the digital dash don't mix. Ford has designed the computer to recognize and record when an aftermarket program has been downloaded. Regardless of whether or not the program has been taken out. Warranty is voided at that point. To bad, so sad! Jay.

Travis Fulton
02-22-2003, 10:20 AM
ouch!:eek: guess the ford boys dont want them turned up????:confused:

sho305
02-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Heheheh....yeah, and the media companies have been trying to make you not be able to copy DVDs for 5 years now too....they could only do it by not letting you, or anyone buy a DVD burner! Thanks! Guys in Chinna break their code...

If it is run by a computer, there is a way around it. Just wait a while. They did that when I bought a new cpu for my mustang 5.0 once. The new one retarded the timing when you clutched, to save $$ on breakage....even though mine was long out of warranty. All I had to do was unhook the pedal switch however. When you tried to powershift some, the car would bog so bad you almost hit the wheel with your head! Also retarded when you hit the pedal quick so no roll-on power. That is why the earlier 5.0s with mass air were faster, or a chipped one.

I am guessing it will need a chip to run right anyway, as the old PSD needed one to save the tranny even(unless Ford hired some new people). I know the Taurus computer is junk, and shifts very poorly. It does not kick down most of the time, so you can't confidently pull into traffic unless you are stopped first. It keeps the retard way after it has shifted, gets stuck in second; all stuff a chip will fix I have been told. Ford's most popular car, and my tranny was all gone through after it puked a pump at 60k. The car is great, but this is the most clueless tranny I can remember in my life. No excuse, and no fix from Ford.

Ford has had lots of sucky electronics compared to GM, and terrible fasteners too. Just dug out a bunch of GM bolts/clips for my F150 project, and they are even the same thread :) but they are not broken like the Ford ones... Of course they all seem to have their bad points.:rolleyes: (and I like Fords:confused: )

Jay2002
02-22-2003, 04:00 PM
shifts very nicely. There's no lag from gear to gear. It's nice and firm, like mine is now that it has a chip in it. Jay.

sho305
02-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Jay-you mean the new 6.0 PSD? I hear the trans is quite a unit itself. I guess the big problem with the old ones is it would lock the converter very slowly so it was smooth, and this would make heat and trash it over some time under hard pulling. My E40d just puked a converter from that I think. It shifts ok aside from the sliding into lock up, unlike the tari that can't find gears. It does take forever to go into reverse too, I need to fix that as I keep slamming reverse all the time. It is just that when I see the garbage truck take off with an auto tranny, these are a joke. How many decades will it take. I would have gotten a stick if I could have. I hate the reving in first and second all the time, I like the sticks I drove much better...I only needed two gears when empty anyway. The tarus puked the trans at 60k, and the diesel at 100k. I have been told a thousand times the converter or tranny will blow by 125k on the diesel. Mine is all stock and I have not had it very long.

cbra212
02-23-2003, 11:55 PM
is yet to be proven. I am the proud owner of 2000 CC 4x4 dually with a BD power chip, banks 4" exhaust big air box and filter, boost tube, 373 rears, and a 6- speed manual tranny, I have also played with the injector timing(witch makes it alot louder). I have driven the 6.0's but are not that impressed. A friend of mine has one, and we both pull 40' enclosed trailers. The trucks arent even in the ball park with each other. Mine will outrun his with or without the load, ands gets better mileage. His 6.0 stops doing a whole lot after about 88 mph or so, I can set the cruise on 100+ and still get 13 or 14 with the trailer. Just an opinion, but I would stay with what you have until Ford gets this Little engine peped up a little. And I can back up what I've told you.

Brad Zastrow
02-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Cobra, Are you really pulling a 40' trailer at 100 mph??? Scary...

I have owned a 2000 PSD diesel and traded it for the V10 gas. The $5,000 diesel option will pay for an awful lot of gas. I pull a 10,000 lb trailer and it does just fine. Not quite as well as the diesel, but close. The V10 will run circles around the diesel passing and stop lights without a trailer. I just did not like the noise, smell and smoke (startup) of the PSD.

However, I just test drove a 2003 6.0 PSD and it is much quieter! It still has the turbo lag off the line, but seems to be a much nicer package. I could be convinced to try a another PSD after that test drive.

Casey
02-24-2003, 01:53 PM
the V-10 might seem quicker then a stock stroke unloaded, but once you put a chip in it there not even in the same league. loaded or unloaded the stroke will walk away from it. on the way to jasper this year in my 2000 power stroke, i pulled my boat 110mph uphill with pleanty left. try that with a gas motor. yes i know i'm an idiot for doing that, but what the heck it was fun!

Brad Zastrow
02-24-2003, 02:48 PM
I have heard the chipped motors are much stronger. Does that chip put too much stress on the engine or trans?

Casey
02-24-2003, 04:38 PM
it does put quit a bit of extra stress the trans (auto), but not the motor. they can handle almost anything you put to them. the mid year 2001's and newer have much weaker rods, so they can't take as much as the older ones. yes i have seen a few with broken rods, but they all had propane. i'm putting around 750 ft lbs of torque to the rear tires and have had zero problems with anything expect the torque converter. mine has 67K

sho305
02-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Chips-For the most part you just get too much heat in the exhaust/turbo backing up. So you have to get a mondo exhaust to get the heat out, and now I have seen 5" exhausts for them. You have to use an EGT to run the bigger chips. You can overheat the tranny too if you are pulling, thus big tranny coolers. The newer PSDs have intercoolers and better tranny coolers and larger 3.5" exhausts factory. The other problem is trashing the lockup clutch, as Ford makes it engage slow and easy....but the chips fix that some or you can get beefy ones.

Never heard of them blowing up from the normal chips if you upgrade like they say. Don't know anyone running the huge chips and propane here. All my Pop's buddies have them chipped and pull 5th wheels. They run 1100 on the EGT when pulling, and have temp gauge on the tranny too. Then they can keep up with the semis:)

CUDA
02-25-2003, 12:53 AM
What can I do with my 98 24v Dodge 4x4 auto, with out screwing up the fuel mileage.-- or wasting $ Thanks jim

Casey
02-25-2003, 07:53 AM
get a chip (60-80hp)

sho305
02-25-2003, 09:06 AM
CUDA- there is tons of stuff on the net about it. You really can't go wrong with chipping a diesel, as they get better mpg with them in every instance I have heard....long as you don't start burning the tires all the time:D Just make sure you have the large enough exhaust for the chip you want, and any other mods they suggest. Getting rid of the extra heat in the motor, and the tranny if you pull; that is a must. It depends on what come factory on yours, as the newer models tend to have better equipment stock (like larger exhaust, intercoolers, etc), but I am not knowing Dodge specificly.

Try this: http://dodgeram.org/links/diesel_links.htm

Note that you can not chip old diesels w/out direct injection that is computer controlled. You can still mod them of course, with good results if you have a turbo.

Jay2002
02-25-2003, 08:06 PM
yesterday that the new ones are having some problems with injectors. Supposedly, the dealers are running out of parts for them! Think I'll wait till the bugs are worked out. Jay.

sho305
02-26-2003, 09:30 AM
You never know about those first year jitters. My father inlaw has a 1997 F150, one of the first new model ones around here and the owner of the dealership put a few miles on it showing off (first one he had). Now it has over 130k on it, and still looks great. He has pulled cars and trailers with it and used it for all kinds of stuff.

Only new problems were the failed tie rod Ford will not admit to, a bad yoke on the drive shaft, and a new wheel and rear exit exhaust that the side one had corroded the wheel; all free fixes, the tie rod with some bitching. Has put rotors on the front, starter cable, the other tie rod, and new plugs/wires. The plugs are special in the 4.6 and are bigger around, so you have to use them or you get problems. That was a pain to figure out. It will get stuck on low range if you don't use low range for a while. I am amazed he had this good of luck with one of the first trucks off the line, let alone any new vehicle. Must have been lucky.;)