PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Help in Ohio

Laserll
02-16-2003, 05:22 PM
I have a 93 Laser 21ft and it has two holes in one of the strakes on the right side. It looks like just the gelcoat is broke out almost like air bubbles when it was poured up. Anyone know somebody in central ohio that does good work? The two spots are about the size of a quarter. They would be right about where the finder of the trailer is, in on the third strake in. I would take pics but there is about 13" of white stuff on the ground.

Backfire
03-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a DIYS job to me. If you do it and don't have a warm garage, just wait for warm weather. What you are filling are "air voids" in the glass work- where the workers did not roll the air out from under the the glass/resin layup. Be willing to bet that takeing a wood hammer handle or large screw driver handle and firmly tapping (not beating) the edges of the strakes, pad, transom you will find many more. Let sleeping dogs lay, or go for it. Repair as needed in the future. A repair shop might do this for free after quoteing you a price to fix the two spots and then finding 25 others! Try a small box of Marine Tex- white, a piece of paint paddle stick, a small piece of wax paper, a piece of duct tape, and follow the directions.
Backfire ;)

Laserll
03-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks:D Fairly new to boating had never seen this stuff. Just what the doctor ordered.
:D :D

Liqui-Fly
03-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Just like backfire said...DIY. The folowing kit is available through www.overtons.com for 21.99. Your better off buying from someone with some invertory turn around so you don't get some old dried up crappy kit. Easy directions and steps. If the holes are deep you may need some filler and a little fiberglass mat.

David

LambRB
03-16-2003, 07:51 PM
www.lambboats.com We are in Ohio and can help you. Call our office.

Jacob
03-18-2003, 09:35 PM
how does that hull handle? just got one in the shop and i'm thinkin about cleaning it up for myself. Does the boat handle well? What speed are you running with what setup? Any info is appreciated. good luck with your repair. PS. check the attention fiberglass experts post for a liitle help on the repair if you decide to do it

Laserll
03-19-2003, 05:44 AM
The boat handles well. It is very stable at speed. But then again I have three kids and use it mostly to ski with, so it is not set up for max speed. I was told by the guy I bought it from that with the dual cable steering it was a handful to drive. I put the hydrualic steering on it before I ever put it in the water. It drives like a cadilac now. It has a 2.4 200hp motor, exhuast ported, velocity stackes, shaved heads. It has a bobs nose cone, solid motor mounts, land and ski manule jack plate with 6" of setback. The best I saw was 78 on the gps. That was spinning a 27p yamaha prop at 6500 rpm. I am sure it has more speed in it. I have never raised the motor or tested props in search of mph. It is the first boat I have ever owned and to me 78 felt like a rocket. But like I said it didn't get squirly at that speed. I really like the boat.

Jacob
03-19-2003, 10:03 PM
I think I will redo the hull and build a 3 liter OMC to put on it. I figure that should be a good boat to goof off in. Good luck with your gelcoat