PDA

View Full Version : Lanier Custom Boats effectively out of business!

F4n4evr
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Recently took posession of a new 2013 Supercat. 40 weeks late on promised delivery date, constructed with used parts, wrong parts, mismatched parts, and engine mounted off center. Lanier delivered wrong hull design, wrong seats, wrong steering, wrong throttle and shift assembly, wrong seats, incorrectly positioned console, etc. Errol won't back his warranty, guarantee, or respond to calls.
Unless you plan to move in with him and oversee the install of every screw, the boat you receive very likely won't bear much resemblance to what you ordered.
hull #213. Feel free to ask questions or request photos. Don't want to see another customer hoodwinked!

Euroski
03-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Bring on the pictures...

2.5racer
03-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Damn man, thats weak!

F4n4evr
03-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Give me your email, I'll send over the photos! As soon as I figure out how to upload, I will, at your request!

Onetime
03-27-2014, 05:40 PM
That's to bad. Thought it was an interesting hull design with potential.

LCB300x
03-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Im on my 3rd boat,and each boat has turn out exactly as i asked.
Lanier is the most honest,
and hard working person i know, he has gone
above and beyond for me and my boats, many
times.Reading your post is a little difficult, because i know he
builds the boat to the customers specs, There is
only 1 hull design, maybe 2 choices for the seats
( pick color), he uses all the same rigging for all the boats
Steering, gauges, ect, the only options were electronics.

scawd the dog
03-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Out of Business? I don't think so. I do know that if a request is made - even highley customizing the fishing deck on his boats , Errol would do his best to
make it happen . Even if something is not up to par , I believe Errol would fix it if the product is brought back to him.

bradmd
03-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Hmm. I actually got a response from him later this AM. I am going to talk to him and see what's up. I hope this post isn't true.

zamguy
03-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Out of business? NOT. If you have an issue, get it resolved before you try to take cheap shots online. Errol will work to resolve issues and I bet he has done things to help you that you forgot to mention.

bradmd
03-30-2014, 10:10 AM
probably just a troll. No pics =didn't happen.

zamguy
03-30-2014, 10:33 AM
I met Errol a few years ago at his shop (then in Dania). Great guy. I looked at the workmanship and parts used on his boats and it was all top shelf. I told him then, I would be buying a boat from him. I had first seen these boats in the old BWB magazine and they received a fantastic review. They are even better now. I recently ordered a boat from Errol. I have no doubts he will provide me with the boat I have waited to get for so many years. My boat will be set up per my requests and will be used for bass fishing (mostly). I talked to quite a few owners of these boats in the last few years and the feedback was a resounding applause for Errol, and for the products he makes. Everything with regard to LCB I have encountered to date falls in line with the responses of those owners.

Todd D
03-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Errol is in business now based in Sebring florida. Errol only has one hull design. I have owned two fastcats and have seen and ridden in quite a few of the other boats. Errol just finished building and rigging a new boat for a friend of mine out of the new shop and the boat was up to normal standards. He does such a great job rigging boats from all the years of offshore racing experience I usually have him rig all of the boats I build! Hope you can get everything worked out so you can be happy and proud of your new LCB. They are a unique and great all around boat:thumbsup:

F4n4evr
04-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Photos were sent to all requesting. Todd, nice try at making excuses for Errol. Your comments are exactly why I bought a cat, unfortunately, all your comments are past tense. And, as you are well aware, Errol does not personally do any work on his boats. He only oversees -or not- the former production. If you had ever been to his shop, you would know he does not only have one hull design, as he had one mold in his shop and the other mold at the glass plant. If you match the hull of your past fast cats to his current design, you would notice a number of differences.

F4n4evr
04-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Brad, you're e-mail said you got the photos?

F4n4evr
04-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Sorry Brent, I requested a copy of your hull but regular weight. He agreed and gave me a different design. (Half size steps with no air channels) I ordered a Livorsi shifter like yours, didn't get it. I have the stock unmodified or uncustomized deck, but when his day worker put in the foam bulkheads, they were not fiberglassed on the sides, only where they sit on the hull and where they touch the deck, so they are not a structural component. The middle are was only spray painted. Were you able to open the photos I sent you? The seats were the wrong ones as well as mounted wrong. I asked Errol to send me the correct seats and I would send him back his wrong ones-no reply. He told me to send all the other wrong and broken parts back to him, freight collect! Did so... They came back not accepted two weeks later. Turned around and sent them ups. They were readily accepted but not replaced or reimbursed. And for Errol to allow a boat out of his shop with the motor mounted 1/2" off center is just unthinkable, but he did. I saw the attention to detail he presented on your little yellow hull, I requested and expected the same.
respectfully,

bradmd
04-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Yup, I got them. I see your point and would want it fixed too. JMHO, but if the motor is mounted off center, that's a major FU. I dont know Errol personally, but have talked to him on the phone, and he seems very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about his product. I sincerely hope they fix these issues for you.

F4n4evr
05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Nope! Errol ignored all directions, cut corners, and used parts from his junk box instead of what he promised. He did nothing to help that I forgot to mention. If you want photos, send me your email and I'll forward a set over!

Todd D
05-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Photos were sent to all requesting. Todd, nice try at making excuses for Errol. Your comments are exactly why I bought a cat, unfortunately, all your comments are past tense. And, as you are well aware, Errol does not personally do any work on his boats. He only oversees -or not- the former production. If you had ever been to his shop, you would know he does not only have one hull design, as he had one mold in his shop and the other mold at the glass plant. If you match the hull of your past fast cats to his current design, you would notice a number of differences.

I have been to Errols shop many times! I would bet to say way more than you since at one point I was stopping by once a week. I have also been to the new shop a hand full of times to look at a new boat being built for another friend and drop off a boat for Errol to rig.

There is only one hull design. There is a new updated mold that has 3 small areas that have been rounded for esthetic reasons.... As far as your claim to having half sized steps and no air channels you obviously didn't take a good look at any of the other boats... they are the same as yours. The 2 steps are made up of 1" raised areas in the running surface. The "air channels" are there. If you take a straight line to the bottom of the boat and connect the points you will notice the running surface angle has been changed after each 1" raise area that creates the step. This is standard design for many boats like the British made Cougars and boats like Adams European built Argo.

As far as the motor being mounted off center my guess is that you are measuring from the inside of the bustle to the jack plate or motor clamp bracket. You need to measure off the inside of the tunnel by the drain plug (the running surface) to the center of the motor. The cut in between the bustles are not in the center of the boat. I think it's off by a 1/4".

I don't like coming on here and see people bashing other people. I personally know Errol and can say that he has gone above and beyond to do some extra stuff for me! Errol works very hard and it shows by the many pleased people that refer him to build more boats for their friends. I just had a friend that picked his new boat up about a month ago. I looked at the newest boat currently being built out of the same mold as I personally saw your boat come out of! My guess is that your boat is the second seafoam green boat that was built. After you saw my friend Paul's boat being built and liked the same color. There are also a couple more customers that have put down deposits to be in line to have boats built....

I would like to see the pics your talking about. onlinepropshop@yahoo.com

F4n4evr
05-14-2014, 10:55 AM
It's really sad that someone had to put you up to this. You obviously haven't talked with Errol because as Errol told me, my hull is the third design. The ruler doesn't lie! Your hull design analysis and history is irrelevant, I'm only talking about my hull, no one elses. I am also not complaining about the hull design at all. I am saying that Errol promised me one design and delivered another. As with most of the items on my hull. One thing promised, another delivered, and even more items delivered never installed, but still in boxes. And other damaged, old, used, and broken parts that were identified before install, and installed anyway! Specific parts that can not be combined without modification, forced together incompatible (steering and trim)

The sponson extensions are exactly equal, left and right. If they were different, that would be yet another huge lack of attention to detail. You can make all the excuses you want, you are not Errol. But since you work for Errol, you can get the photos from him! He has them all. He has never responded to any of my dozens of calls, dozens of emails or letters. He has my phone numbers, but won't call. So anyone who orders from Errol in his hobby shop, Don't front the money! And remember, clear written orders, constant oversight, and detailed follow up (quality control). If you can't move in with Errol and supervise his worker, day to day, on your ordered hull, you takes your chances! As a small point, I ordered a 24" ski prop, and a speed prop. I received a 28" and a 31"! Ironically, the same dimensions and appearances as two props he had sitting on the shelf collecting dust. The boat would need another 100hp to turn the 31"! I'm still waiting for Errol to send me the ordered 24"! Also, still waiting on the seats I ordered! And a last point, Errol doesn't rig his boats! My boat was rigged by Troy and Errol's day worker. Troys work was exactly to order and spec.

I have been to Errols shop many times! I would bet to say way more than you since at one point I was stopping by once a week. I have also been to the new shop a hand full of times to look at a new boat being built for another friend and drop off a boat for Errol to rig.

There is only one hull design. There is a new updated mold that has 3 small areas that have been rounded for esthetic reasons.... As far as your claim to having half sized steps and no air channels you obviously didn't take a good look at any of the other boats... they are the same as yours. The 2 steps are made up of 1" raised areas in the running surface. The "air channels" are there. If you take a straight line to the bottom of the boat and connect the points you will notice the running surface angle has been changed after each 1" raise area that creates the step. This is standard design for many boats like the British made Cougars and boats like Adams European built Argo.

As far as the motor being mounted off center my guess is that you are measuring from the inside of the bustle to the jack plate or motor clamp bracket. You need to measure off the inside of the tunnel by the drain plug (the running surface) to the center of the motor. The cut in between the bustles are not in the center of the boat. I think it's off by a 1/4".

I don't like coming on here and see people bashing other people. I personally know Errol and can say that he has gone above and beyond to do some extra stuff for me! Errol works very hard and it shows by the many pleased people that refer him to build more boats for their friends. I just had a friend that picked his new boat up about a month ago. I looked at the newest boat currently being built out of the same mold as I personally saw your boat come out of! My guess is that your boat is the second seafoam green boat that was built. After you saw my friend Paul's boat being built and liked the same color. There are also a couple more customers that have put down deposits to be in line to have boats built....

I would like to see the pics your talking about. onlinepropshop@yahoo.com

Todd D
05-14-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't work for Errol. And as far as you not wanting to send me the pics proves my point! Now I can see your point about the prop if you ordered one and got another. What did you order a 24 Bravo 1? If that 28 you received is a 28 it would be pretty easy to sell or trade for a 24 over on fastbass or BBC.

F4n4evr
05-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Photos will be sent as requested. My 28" works perfectly with an empty boat and less than 10 gallons of gas. It does have "27" half stamped on the tube, so if it is a 27", it's a reworked prop... It's the 31" that's useless. And no one will want to swap a 31" bravo 1 for a 24" bravo 1.
Since you are making excuses for Errol, go see him after I send you the pics. Compare them to the ones on his computer. With a "one off" hobby boat, as all of the Laniers are, there will always be little imperfections, but not lots of them, and failure to provide what was paid for is inexcusable!
Clear written instruction, constant oversight, and detailed follow up (quality control) make a good boat. Backing it into a gate latch because one is too lazy to wear his glasses, then Errol trying to blame it on Troy, will never fly!

I don't work for Errol. And as far as you not wanting to send me the pics proves my point! Now I can see your point about the prop if you ordered one and got another. What did you order a 24 Bravo 1? If that 28 you received is a 28 it would be pretty easy to sell or trade for a 24 over on fastbass or BBC.

Crazyfish
05-14-2014, 09:22 PM
I was interested in a new LCB and have been waiting for replies on pricing. I went to Sebring shop 2 weeks ago while in Florida for business and no one available to show me anything or even a production boat. I have talked to Errol in the past and know him from back in offshore racing and he is a quality individual but it is funny that I can't get any answer or reply from him or Troy and no one at shop when I went. I hope this is just a miscommunication or ? Interested in LCB but cautious.

F4n4evr
05-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Send me a pm and I'll tell ya what to watch for after you move in with LCB to assure you get a quality boat. Don't front the money! Errol talked me into fronting the money, and it took 10 months plus to get the boat, instead of the promised 5 weeks. I ordered and put a deposit down on a 32.5k hull. Went to pick it up and it had changed to 36.5k. All the options pricing stayed the same, but ultimately, I came up about $3.5k short on paid and promised but not delivered.

F4n4evr
06-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Been trying to get hold of Errol to no avail after Brents recommendation to try once again to get Errol to honor his warranty and work things out. Calls, e-mails, registered, and certified mail! All with no response. He's into me for over $3000.00 for items purchased but not delivered, and a deck repair is upwards of $7000.00. Ya pays your money and takes your chances! Anyone else want to see photos of no oversight or follow through?

joefish
06-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Been trying to get hold of Errol to no avail after Brents recommendation to try once again to get Errol to honor his warranty and work things out. Calls, e-mails, registered, and certified mail! All with no response. He's into me for over $3000.00 for items purchased but not delivered, and a deck repair is upwards of $7000.00. Ya pays your money and takes your chances! Anyone else want to see photos of no oversight or follow through?

Any progress? Where is your boat? I'd like to see it.

I know Errol has built a bunch of phenomenal boats. It's ashame if the quality is slipping. I would really like an LCB but I'm wondering how your situation will turn out.

FishingBen
10-14-2014, 09:45 PM
This makes me feel trepidation.

FastCat305
11-25-2014, 05:53 PM
wow !! can"t belief this happened to you !!. I do own a 2007 fast cat

gamblerman01
11-30-2014, 01:49 PM
please send me pic's i was thing about getting one. but now you have me worried. jrbritt@aol.com

Todd D
11-30-2014, 01:58 PM
There's nothing to be worried about. There have been half a dozen boats built recently to local guys that are totally happy! If you want to contact them I'll get you in touch with them.

Todd D
11-30-2014, 01:59 PM
A couple are Bass Boat Central and Fastbass members.

zamguy
11-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I have one in the mold right now…..I have no issues that my boat will be of the class that Errol professes…very high in caliber. I did not try to school Errol on how to build my boat, or ask him to use any products that he was not used to using- in short, I am letting the boat builder build the boat without micro-management. I do not have the expectation that he will deliver it 1000 miles to me. I did request how i wanted it set up as far as being a bass boat. I did not ask him to change the weight distribution of the boat or try to out think him on his business. This is a good person who makes boats, and makes them above industry bench marks.

hound329
06-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Hi, new guy here... Been building, repairing and hot rodding boats, outboard motors, motorcycles, drag cars, dirt modifieds, sprint cars and airplanes for half a century. Vee bottoms have their place, but deep cat's are in a different league when it comes to speed, comfort, safety and stability in rough water.

The God's of bad weather recently dropped a single 30" pine tree across my 201 Pro XL, aluminum boat and my corvette. Such is life! Spent a lot of time scouring the internet and talking to current owners and checking out local LCB's. I'm sold on Lanier's LCB for bay/lake fishing and rough water. My 275 Verado survived the pine tree so I'm putting it on the LCB. I sent Errol the first half of the price of a new LCB about two weeks ago. My hull is tentatively going in the mold this week. White over black with a poling platform to mount a 4G radar.

I've been around the block and not easy to BS, just sayin. I've followed up on a lot of things I have read posted here and other places both good and bad. I think I'll just sit out the flame wars. Errol is a VERY knowledgeable guy on boats, boat design/building and rigging. I think a previous poster in this thread hit the nail on the head about having someone do a custom build. Tell them what you want, don't switch horses in the middle of the stream and let them do what they do best... I told Errol what I wanted to end up with and now I'm going to stay out of his hair and let him and his guys take their time and perform their magic. Errol has forgot more than most will ever know when it comes to building and rigging boats. I am impressed to say the least at the integrated strength without weight that he builds into his hulls.

I would love to have had the boat yesterday, but I'm NOT going to rush Errol because I don't want a production schedule dictating attention to detail. After many long phone conversations it is obvious he is very attentive to details, engineering and build quality to ensure that the end product will perform as stated. I had an operational problem that appeared unsolvable but, he solved that problem long ago using a $150 part and adaptive engineering from aviation. Why didn't I think of that??? Awesome! My kind of guy.

Since the LCB's seem to be a topic of discussion on this forum I will post updates and pics as they develop.

Mick

zamguy
06-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Good Luck with your boat Mick. If you were at Errol's, then you saw my boat. I am on the road working and intend to pick it up when I get back home sometime in July. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

hound329
06-02-2015, 09:58 PM
I've been working and haven't made it to Errol's yet. Unless the roof caves in I am hauling my Verado, electronics, trolling motor, etc. to him in in a couple of weeks. Really excited to get the boat. Can't wait to be able to run rough chop and not have bleeding kidneys.

scawd the dog
06-03-2015, 12:33 PM
I've been working and haven't made it to Errol's yet. Unless the roof caves in I am hauling my Verado, electronics, trolling motor, etc. to him in in a couple of weeks. Really excited to get the boat. Can't wait to be able to run rough chop and not have bleeding kidneys.

Your 275 will be a nice motor on your LCB. No better people than Errol Lanier. Let me know if I can help you with your set up. Beware of those Pine trees.

hound329
06-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Made a trip to Sebring. Dropped the Verado and stuff off Wednesday. Errol is a helluva nice guy and vastly knowledgeable. He was finishing up a white/gray boat when I was there. Innovation and attention to detail is beyond what I could have imagined. He uses only the best of the best in materials and components when it comes to rigging a boat out. He keeps most of the components in stock.

Little things like embedding 1/4" aluminum plate in the deck during the fiberglass/mold process for the trolling motor mount. Then mounting the trolling motor with drilled and tapped mounting holes into the prepositioned plate for the fasteners. NOBODY that I know of would ever go that far to do it "right" the first time. No screws, no holes drilled through and through the hull or deck... NOTHING is half a$$ed!!! Lot's of folks talk the talk, but Errol walks the walk...

If you need your boat next week I suggest you hit the local boat lots and drive away with one of the many cookie cutter a mass production rigs. If you want a state of the art boat built light but hell for stout with the finest materials and workmanship that I have ever seen, you should include Lanier Custom Boats as one of your options. Errol Lanier is a master boat builder with a few decades of experience and has forgot more than most will ever know. If I've learned only one thing in 57 years, it's this - there's NO substitute for experience... If you need a rough water Cat that will bass fish, bay fish or run you out to the 35 mile rigs and get you back when the chips are down give Errol a shout, you won't be disappointed.

As a side note... I stripped my boat after the 36" pine tree took a nap across it. Everything on it that wasn't damaged, which was nearly everything, I brought to Errol for my new boat. He culled quite a bit of my stuff that didn't meet quality requirements for his boats. He showed me what he uses in place of culled items and I have to say my production cookie cutter bass boat was indeed rigged out with junk compared to the top end stuff that is out there and readily available. Errol only uses the highest quality parts and components money can buy in his boats.

Mick

zamguy
06-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Mick, I look forward to seeing your boat. That white and grey one is mine. Hope to puck it up when I get done with my current pipeline project up in kansas. Everything you said is very accurate. Especially that Error is a helluva nice guy.

hound329
07-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Hey Brent I saw your new boat, Errol was finishing it up and it is NICE! gelcoat is finished on mine. Let me see if I can post some pics.323867323868

hound329
07-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Let me try this again - 323973323974323975323976

zamguy
07-21-2015, 12:24 PM
That will be a great looking boat!

AZMIDLYF
08-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Any finished products guys?

zamguy
08-09-2015, 11:03 AM
When I get back home from working in Kansas, I will post some pics of my boat. Probably a couple weeks.

hound329
02-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Waiting on fab guy to finish radar tower. Ready for pick-up

hound329
02-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Last of pics. More to come after pick-up

scawd the dog
02-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Wow! That Black gel looks great! Congrats!

motexas
02-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Very nice!!!!!!

MO

95202DCX
02-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Great looking boat.

zamguy
02-17-2016, 05:14 PM
Great looking boat!

hound329
08-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Errol builds a nice boat. Found a couple of small oversights or maybe just my nit picky preferences. Still tweaking props, boat balance, etc. A 632 pound Verado on the transom and 75 gallons of fuel makes it sit low in the back and isn't conducive to high mph. Light load of fuel and the wrong prop runs 72.8 GPS. I run offshore a lot. Looking at a hydromotive 5 blade to minimize aeration in big chop and up to 3-5 seas. It likes a lot higher X height and more transom lift than the Turbo TXP OT-4 can deliver. It eats big chop comfortably and with a little throttle control takes 3-5 following seas bone dry. Overall pleased with the boat!

zamguy
08-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Glad you like your boat. I also am happy with mine. As with any boat, it takes time to get them dialed in. I have used mine in some larger tourneys (BASS-Open; FLW-Costa) and never doubted the boat- just my hookset.....LOL. Welcome to the Lanier boats!

JPEROG
08-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Take Brent up on his offer to help you with set up. He and Mike have done everything you can do in one-not all good stuff but they know how to take it to the limits for sure....

Joe

zamguy
08-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Take Brent up on his offer to help you with set up. He and Mike have done everything you can do in one-not all good stuff but they know how to take it to the limits for sure....

Joe
That won't be possible until I get back home. I am in kansas working right now. I will give them a call. Maybe see you up on the St John sometime.

hound329
08-22-2016, 03:02 PM
I'll take any help/advice offered! $$$

JPEROG
08-22-2016, 03:26 PM
I'll take any help/advice offered! $$$

I sent you a P.M.

Joe

hound329
08-23-2016, 08:49 PM
A little history of my old boat... 275 Verado 630 pounds, 1.85 gears. Two props TXP (3 blade long full size tube) and TXP OT4 (4 blade short undersize tube), both props 26 pitch.

The TXP 3 shoved my Stratus 201 XL Pro 80 mph at 6200 rpm's with a tournament load and two adults. Put a TXP OT4 on the Stratus and the RPM's dropped 5900 rpms and it slowed down to 75 WFO. The dealer that put the boat together got 83 out of it with enough gas to get back to the boat ramp and no load.

Rev limiter on the Verado is 6400 RPM's.

Errol got 72 GPS out if my LCB with about 10 gallons of gas by himself in the boat with the 4 blade prop. He predicted mid 70's out of the boat while he was building it.

My LCB loaded with +/- 50 gallons of fuel, two adults and tested under similar water conditions -

The three blade SUCKS on the LCB. It aerates WAY too much coming up on plane and in sizable chop and is a almost impossible to prevent it from blowing out in the bigger stuff offshore when trying to keep it on plane. On top end after tweaking trim and jack plate to optimum at speed (sweet spot) the slip numbers on the three blade run about 14%. At the sweet spot the 3 blade peaks at 6,000 rpm's at top speed of 69 mph.

The four blade bites much better coming up on plane, on top end and in the big stuff. The four blade hits it's sweet spot at a lot higher x dimension than the 3 blade. It runs out to about 70 mph with 50 gallons or so of fuel at 5800 rpm. Slip numbers running about 9%.

Not too bad except the RPM"S are way low and the stern is still buried in the water at 70 from the weight on the back.

Now... First let me say I know about as much about props and the next wannabe keyboard warrior...

I've watched a lot of vids of other LCB's. With all the weight that I have on the rear, my stern should and it does run deeper than the lighter boats. When the fuel load get's lighter in my boat the stern rides higher and speeds go up accordingly. I like the way the boat performs, but I'm digging for that something to give me more stern lift. If I can get the stern up the boat will run a LOT faster.

From what I can research a longer diffuser tube adds more stern lift. I have noticed the stern riding higher with my full size long tube 3 blade prop at high speeds. I am considering a 5 blade prop for the increase in mid power/cruise fuel economy (less slip) and better rough water performance. I'm considering a Hydromotive P5X or a Maximus (maybe labbed) in about a 24 or 25 pitch.

Suggestions?

scawd the dog
08-24-2016, 07:10 AM
hound329:

I will gladly do my best to help you. Give me a call.

954 673 1175

Mark Poole ModVP
08-27-2016, 02:35 AM
That is one pretty boat mold!

catsalesman
09-26-2016, 08:29 AM
A little history of my old boat... 275 Verado 630 pounds, 1.85 gears. Two props TXP (3 blade long full size tube) and TXP OT4 (4 blade short undersize tube), both props 26 pitch.

The TXP 3 shoved my Stratus 201 XL Pro 80 mph at 6200 rpm's with a tournament load and two adults. Put a TXP OT4 on the Stratus and the RPM's dropped 5900 rpms and it slowed down to 75 WFO. The dealer that put the boat together got 83 out of it with enough gas to get back to the boat ramp and no load.

Rev limiter on the Verado is 6400 RPM's.

Errol got 72 GPS out if my LCB with about 10 gallons of gas by himself in the boat with the 4 blade prop. He predicted mid 70's out of the boat while he was building it.

My LCB loaded with +/- 50 gallons of fuel, two adults and tested under similar water conditions -

The three blade SUCKS on the LCB. It aerates WAY too much coming up on plane and in sizable chop and is a almost impossible to prevent it from blowing out in the bigger stuff offshore when trying to keep it on plane. On top end after tweaking trim and jack plate to optimum at speed (sweet spot) the slip numbers on the three blade run about 14%. At the sweet spot the 3 blade peaks at 6,000 rpm's at top speed of 69 mph.

The four blade bites much better coming up on plane, on top end and in the big stuff. The four blade hits it's sweet spot at a lot higher x dimension than the 3 blade. It runs out to about 70 mph with 50 gallons or so of fuel at 5800 rpm. Slip numbers running about 9%.

Not too bad except the RPM"S are way low and the stern is still buried in the water at 70 from the weight on the back.

Now... First let me say I know about as much about props and the next wannabe keyboard warrior...

I've watched a lot of vids of other LCB's. With all the weight that I have on the rear, my stern should and it does run deeper than the lighter boats. When the fuel load get's lighter in my boat the stern rides higher and speeds go up accordingly. I like the way the boat performs, but I'm digging for that something to give me more stern lift. If I can get the stern up the boat will run a LOT faster.

From what I can research a longer diffuser tube adds more stern lift. I have noticed the stern riding higher with my full size long tube 3 blade prop at high speeds. I am considering a 5 blade prop for the increase in mid power/cruise fuel economy (less slip) and better rough water performance. I'm considering a Hydromotive P5X or a Maximus (maybe labbed) in about a 24 or 25 pitch.

Suggestions?

Hydromotive props are the only props I have found that will run good on a heavier LCB, and I have tried about everything on my SHO powered rig. I have 2 that I bought new from hydromotive, a summer prop and a winter prop, both 4 blades and they perform great on my rig. I have a 26 in my garage if you want to try it sometime, as it is a backup. We have met before, as I live in Crystal Beach.